Place Your Bets Now! Spain: 6-1 & Germany: 16-1

Anyone interested in having a good ol flutter on Euro 2004 heres a hint, I rekon the best odds are on Spain at 6-1, I cant see anyone beating them for a few reasons:

1) Their team

They have the likes of Gabri, Reyes, Raul, Puyol etc all reaching the peaks of their careers and on form.

2) Other teams

The favourites France wont win IMO because they are going through a transitional period at the moment. They are going through the same phase that Brazil went through during the World Cup 1998, where they have a lot of old players who have been solid for the past 6 - 8 years but are reaching the end of their careers. They tire a lot quicker then younger players and do not have the agility. They also have a lot of younger players who are inexperienced at international level and still have a lot to learn. They may be the next French world cup winning side, but that will be a good few years down the line yet.

Italy - I cant see it happeneing, they should get to the semi's at least, but again, they have a lot of older players and again a lot of younger players. I should think they are a better bet then France however.

Holland - No chance at the moment. Their team has not been upto much in the past 5 years or so, partly due to a bad coach but also becuase they simply have not had the quality. Yes their young players look very good and will probably come through and be very good but at the moment they lack experience.

England - A hard one. When they play well and as a team, they can quite feasibly beat anyone in the competition (as we saw against Germany when we beat them 5-1 and in the World Cup against Brazil). A lot of the players are at the peak of their careers, but they simply dont seem to work as a team often enough. Add to this the fact that Rio Ferdinand, their best centre back IMO is suspended for 8 months, I dont feel safe with Terry at the back. Add to that the fact we have struggled throughout all our friendlies.... Possible finalists, probable semi-finalists.

Germany - In my opinion they will do well. They may even surprise everyone and win it, so at 16 - 1 odds, its worth putting a few quid on just incase. They had a quite young and revitalised team coming through in the past few years, all of whom are starting to reach the peaks of their careers. Whilst I dont think they will win it, they should make the final and possibly be a surprise package.

Portugal - The tough one. Playing at home, they will always have the advantage, but i seriously dont think their team has the skill to win it. Yes they have an excellent team, but again, many of their better players are reaching the end of their careers, although I will admit I dont know in depth who their current squad consists of.

3) Climate

Lets face it portugal are next door to spain, they may as well be the same country. The players will have no trouble adapting to the extreme heats that the mediterranian summer will provide, whereas teams like France, England, Germany and Holland will struggle coping with the climate.

Also, as the culture in portugal is very much alike that of Spain, they will have no problems in that part either. However, it will be interesting to see if the Portugese public support Spain in games where they dont play Portugal as their neighbours or whether they support the opposition

Just my though, ive put 100 on Spain and 50 on Germany to win, im pretty sure these great odds wont last too much longer as the competition grows nearer
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

I'll see what I have left in my William Hill account in the morning and maybe stick something on. Those are good odds on spain, surprisingly high odds on Germany so will be worth putting something on them.
    Steve

Those odds are from Ladbrokes by the way, however William Hill dont tend to be much different anyway.

There is no way that Germany and Spain can meet before the final btw (at least not that I can remember of anyway)

EDIT - I think there might be a way they could meet, but its complicated and all depends on where they finish in the groups
    Last edited by WirralNet Matt; 04-18-2004 at 10:41 PM.

5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Decided to check willhill now, only got 43 in my account so will build that up a bit tommorow

Odds of 8-1 for Spain and 19-1 for Germany. France are the favorites at 4-1.
    Steve

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    Odds of 8-1 for Spain and 19-1 for Germany
    Wow! They must be insane hehe

Here is the current Fifa World Rankings which do boost my opinions on Spain and Germany a bit - http://www.fifa.com/en/rank/index.html?ttl=480

Spain have always, always had the players to deliver, but time and time again, they never do.

My bet is on England this year.. sure, they are without Ferdinand, but they have the depth to go take this one, in my opinion. The strike force alone that England have, is terrifying. They'll most probably take smith.. he's one that just feeds on this type of competition, I can see him coming out of this tournament with an extra 20 million tagged to his name.

A lot of people write off the Dutch, but I would make them my second favourites. In the past, they have always been like Spain.. plenty of good players, but no gel. I think they are ready to win one.. my second choice.

My third 'bet' would be Germany.. as always, writing off the Germans is a huge mistake.. they always seem to come up trumps. Everyone did the same back in '96, 'til Klinsmann and co tore their way through everyone, including the hosts.

This tournament is shaping up to be one of the closest ever, even including the '84 tournament, classed by most as the best of the best.

I can't wait for the big kick-off, it's just a shame our boys from the Emerald Isle didn't make it through, or we could have been the proverbial dark horse.. I think that goes to the czech's again..

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network.

I think Italy or Spain will take it.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>