Unhappy Had tears in my eyes..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbi...chool_massacre (just a site I ran into)

I saw on TV, which almost had me in tears... Columbine High School. At points I didn’t even know if I wanted to see it, because of what evil could do this? Someone (more then one) could hate, and want to kill so much.

April 20th 1999 I remember what I was doing. I was in School, and I heard the news when I got home. I couldn’t believe it. I was in shock and I couldn’t believe it actually happen. Why didn’t the cop’s stop them before it even happen? Even after proof, and even their next door to them (Eric one of the killers) reporting him over and over the police just shrugged it off. If the police, or their killer’s parent listen or did something this wouldn’t of happen.

Even after 5 years (2 days it will be 5 years till the day) it makes you wonder.. Why hasn’t anything really happen yet? Why did it even happen?

The school system in the US has to be overhauled. Too much pressure on the kids and free access to guns. Instead of working on the country's future, $100 Billion has been wasted so far on the war with Iraq: http://www.costofwar.com - You can see how many schools, scholarships and teachers could be paid with that astronomical amount.

Just wondering what kinda pressure you talking about? The only thing I could think of was the "groups" people hang out with. Though pressure doesnt make it right to kill people.

Originally posted by timechange.com
    The school system in the US has to be overhauled. Too much pressure on the kids and free access to guns. Instead of working on the country's future, $100 Billion has been wasted so far on the war with Iraq: http://www.costofwar.com - You can see how many schools, scholarships and teachers could be paid with that astronomical amount.

Originally posted by timechange.com
    I agree the school system needs to be overhauled, but please don't turn this into yet another anti-war thread.

Back to the subject;
    There's entirely too much stress placed upon students. In fact, I'd say that there's more stress placed upon students at school than there is in the work place.

Why not? Check out the numbers at the website. What would you do with 1/10 of the $100 Billion? I can think of several ways to improve the Education sector.

Pay the teachers better, quit calling corporal punishment "child abuse" and let people spank their kids in peace, quit expecting TV and the school system to raise our kids, start paying more attention to the kids, and maybe things will improve.

Part of the problem many believe is how many families are now 2 earner families as contrasted to how many families had "stay at home" mothers not so many years ago.

I could never have built pipe bombs when I was a kid, ok I actually COULD have, me and my dad probably would have built them together in the garage workshop and then we'da went into the pasture and had a helluva time "blowing stuff up".

It's not "access to guns" it's "paying attention to your kids". I took a gun to school in Jr High, 20 guage shotgun, was going home with my best friend to go dove hunting the next morning and heck it's hard as hell to hit a dove with a rock! Had a duffelbag with my boots and camos and shells and my gun in a carrying case, my homeroom teacher kept it in his cabinet (or on his desk) for me until time to go home that afternoon. I rode the bus in and another bus home with my friend, both bus drivers kept my equipment beside them until I got off the bus.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, take away the guns and people will still kill each other, they just have to get more creative. Besides do you REALLY think the criminals will give up the guns? Most people committing crimes with guns are ALREADY committing a crime by having the gun in the first place. I'd be curious to see a real unbiased report on how many crimes are committed by illegal as opposed to legal guns (legal as in license to carry/registered/etc).
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by inogenius

Back to the subject;
    There's entirely too much stress placed upon students. In fact, I'd say that there's more stress placed upon students at school than there is in the work place.
    When you have everything at hand then the least thing against your will can be "stressful."

Graduated from a high school in another country and going to college in the States, unless university in the U.S. are pieces of cake comparing to U.S. high school then I can't see how U.S. high school students can be stressful about their course load! inogenius, it's almost laughable.

Stress if any, is that they have to do some study while having so much entertaining around.
    American youths are also overly encouraged to "express themselves" in any way while have yet able to tell between right and wrong. This is very different from "elaborating their ideas on academic topics" which is a very great thing of the education system in the U.S.
    ML
    ... from the beginning.

Come on, shooting kids

Terrorism ....

You cannot blame the schooling system, you don't see the other millions upon millions shooting people because it's to stressful. At 16, can you not drop out of school?

These 2 kids needed mental help
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Originally posted by nmluan
    When you have everything at hand then the least thing against your will can be "stressful."

Graduated from a high school in another country and going to college in the States, unless university in the U.S. are pieces of cake comparing to U.S. high school then I can't see how U.S. high school students can be stressful about their course load! inogenius, it's almost laughable.

Stress if any, is that they have to do some study while having so much entertaining around.
    American youths are also overly encouraged to "express themselves" in any way while have yet able to tell between right and wrong. This is very different from "elaborating their ideas on academic topics" which is a very great thing of the education system in the U.S.
    Stress is like gum...it comes in many different flavors. Sure, to you their level of stress may seem like nothing, but to them, it's all they know.

US Universities are much more difficult than high school. They are more demanding and require much more dedication on the students part. High schools here don't teach enough, and are constantly trying to meet a certain level of standards while sacrificing true education.

Regards,
    Waylon

It's always a tragedy to see this type of thing happen.

Many blame the school systems, and when it's Kids shooting kids, then I can agree to a certain degree, but that's not always the case. It seems to be all too common for school shootings, whether by evil kids, or evil grown-ups.

I still remember the horrifying Dunblane Shooting, the most dispicable act in the region's history.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.