Thread: PHP 5 ready?

PHP 5 ready?

I know it says it's not for use in production environment, but anyone tried it? Does it work fine? Any major problems or reasons not to use it?

(Question asked for same reason as for Apache 2 )

Hi Tom 420,

PHP 5 still has some bugs in it. It is recommended to download the RC2-dev version.

Regards,

Bright

I must say our experience with PHP5 has been 100% positive. Very nice platform in comparison to its predecessors. Class type hints, case matching, Interfaces, simple_xml, etc etc the list goes on.

A+
    circlical - hosting software development
    forums * blog

PHP5 rocks!
    BlackMonk : Build Your Own Local Portal

Reading a lot of good things about it in the big PHP book lately. It's going to be nice when we can finally write scripts in it and have people around the world use them. I doubt hosts will jump on the first release of PHP 5. So we're probably a year or 2 out. :-/

Originally posted by Saeven
    I must say our experience with PHP5 has been 100% positive. Very nice platform in comparison to its predecessors. Class type hints, case matching, Interfaces, simple_xml, etc etc the list goes on.

A+
    Yeah, i agree, the new OOP systems is rock solid. I really haven't noticed any bugs.

I'm surprised they opted not to implement namespaces or full signature type hints though - but a welcome set of additions nonetheless! I think it is clear that they are learning most tricks form Java though. The resemblance of these new features is quite clear. Java with C++ scope-type rules hehe.
    circlical - hosting software development
    forums * blog