Arrow Most Secure Servers?

What makes a server secure from getting hacked in?

What is the most secure operating system for servers?

Thanks

Re: Most Secure Servers?

100% hardcore security...
    First question: Unplug the network cable.
    Second question: No OS, and shipping it to the moon or any other location where there is no people.

Ok, in all reality...

The best way to keep hackers and crackers out is to keep your software updated, and use aggressive filters in addition to a good firewall. Also keeping an eye on the server for anything suspicious is helpful as is subscribing to security updates of your chosen software including your OS.

The best OS for servers is the one that fits your requirements (ASP on windows for example) and that you are proficient in securing.
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Greetings:

Security has to be a way of life; and the best you can do is make servers hacker resistant. You cannot make them hacker proof.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity. - Gen. Douglas Macarthur

Brad Baker www.rochen.com
    Rochen - True Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting since 2000
    Better Support: Expert support 24/7 from Red Hat and Cisco Certified Engineers
    Joomla! Core Team Member Joomla Tutorials

make a digital gun that fries computers instantly that try to gain unauthorized access.

Problem: technology isn't available and the legal implications.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Re: Re: Most Secure Servers?

Originally posted by MGCJerry
    100% hardcore security...
    First question: Unplug the network cable.
    Second question: No OS, and shipping it to the moon or any other location where there is no people.

Ok, in all reality...

The best way to keep hackers and crackers out is to keep your software updated, and use aggressive filters in addition to a good firewall. Also keeping an eye on the server for anything suspicious is helpful as is subscribing to security updates of your chosen software including your OS.

The best OS for servers is the one that fits your requirements (ASP on windows for example) and that you are proficient in securing.
    Firewalling, updates, and filters, just aren't enough. It's better than the soft-creamy center model.. But there's more that needs to be done.

EVERYTHING that talks to the outside world (ftp,ssh,sftp,web,ssl,appservers,proxy servers,dns) HAS to be put into a low-privledged chrooted jail. After that, you need role-based privledge levels.

Then you need to start thinking about Intrusion detection and logging, sending ALL logs to a box who's only fucntion is logs, and putting them offline, but also analyzing them with several different IDS programs.

A good start is :

Install OS (Linux or freebsd or openbsd)
    bring up to latest patch level
    Run Bastille or harden
    Jail everything
    Setup GRSecurity or LOMAC or the BSD equivalent
    Send logs to another host
    Setup restrictive firewall (taken care of by bastille in linux) on server
    Put behind restrictive seperate network firewall
    Run IDS on logs, realtiem if possible, from 2 different servers.

That puts you in a semi-safe mode. The rest costs $200/hour and a keg of guinness.

Also you should make multi-level security with only administrative access to some secure levels

You can be running the newest versions of everything, 10 firewalls, restrictions out the rear but youc an never be 100% secure there is always someone one step ahead!
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance