Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    and also everytime i go to get my nails done at a place that is run by asians (vietnamese) they have their stuff everywhere like buddas and other statues. im sure it is some kind of religious thing. they have never asked me if im religious, i dont think it matters! and i KNOW it doesnt hurt their business!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!
      0 Not allowed!

I believe it is a good thing to give discounts to non-profit websites. But if you are going to give discounts to christ oriented websites, that you should also give discounts to other religious websites, whether they be buddhist, jewish, muslim, etc.. .
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by LaurenStephens
    and many of us would like to personally thank you for standing up for what you believe is right!

who does that anymore?? everyone is so concerned about making that extra buck!
    Thanks Lauren, sometimes I just get tired of hearing how bad we Christians are because we believe and live for those beliefs.
    Freckle Face
    http://frecklefacehosting.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ub3r
    I believe it is a good thing to give discounts to non-profit websites. But if you are going to give discounts to christ oriented websites, that you should also give discounts to other religious websites, whether they be buddhist, jewish, muslim, etc.. .
    thats completely nonsensical. they are giving it to christians, not religions... why would they offer it to anyone else?
      0 Not allowed!

I have to both agree and disagree on that.....

FIRST, if I were giving a discount for any religion, then yes I would give a discount to all Religions (including all the ones you mentioned)..

BUT SECONDLY....I would not think badly of anyone who didn't. It is everyones own personal decision on who to give a discount too.

Again I can bring up our local town....the big majority of restaurants in this town give discounts to students of Harding U. (this town bends over backwards for this college).

BUT we also have a branch of Arkansas State here, and another branch of Arkansas state just 14 miles down the road. There are many locals here who attend both of those campuses, but the businesses don't offer them anything....And that is their right.

If anyone is offended by it, they will not patronize that business, and if it really bothers them they will tell the business about it.
      0 Not allowed!

thats completely nonsensical. they are giving it to christians, not religions... why would they offer it to anyone else?
    I believe if the website or organization has no source of income, and are providing valid information regarding their belief structure to the public, that those organizations do deserve a discount.

I do however believe that if you are including a discount, that you should include a clause in the terms of service which restricts the bashing of other religions, and or political organizations.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by LaurenStephens
    So wait, christians arnt part of a religion. I can just say I am christian and I can get a discount? SCORE!. Not.
    AIM/MSN- nirkillerangel
    ICQ- 1248428229
    skunkwar@pacbell.net
    http://www.killerangel.net
      0 Not allowed!

So wait, christians arnt part of a religion. I can just say I am christian and I can get a discount? SCORE!. Not.
    I believe you should Only give discounts based on the content of a website. Not the religion of the individual purchasing hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

I believe you should Only give discounts based on the content of a website. Not the religion of the individual purchasing hosting.
    That would be the ideal thing to do, but people can do whatever they want with their business, that is their choice. In this world, there is too much confusion of how you should be/ act / do.

I've have people call me "igonrant" just because I am athiest. I knew more about his "religion" than he even did (I ask him questions about it, so i know I did). I go to a church/synagogue whatever you want to call it several times a week. Not one perticular one, or religion. I go to see what they preach, believe etc... I own 20 diffefferent "Belief books" (Bibles) of different religions and have read them all. Man, I must be prettu ignorant because I wasent "christian" or "catholic"

But I have to say, most people arnt that way. Most of my best friends are christian, and I have nothing against them or them against me.

Talk about going on a side tangent..... i'll stop here
    Last edited by HeatStroke; 04-18-2004 at 09:04 PM.
    AIM/MSN- nirkillerangel
    ICQ- 1248428229
    skunkwar@pacbell.net
    http://www.killerangel.net
      0 Not allowed!

Its business, you can do it about any way you want, that's part of what makes Free Enterprise great. If someone wants to only host sites about hampsters, don't get mad because they don't allow mouse sites too; take your business elsewhere. Some people might just throw up Christian Web host so the tons of church's will choose them over a competitor, other people would just like to let everyone know what they believe up front. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

I personally have the philosophy that you shouldn't have to say you're a Christian for someone to be able to tell.
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.
      0 Not allowed!

Businesses give money to republicans or democrats all the time, but often ignore people from the other party... The reason is that the candidate's beleifs about the economy or about morality fall in line with their own.

Failing that argument, if I fully own the business, it's my server and it's my time; I should be able to do whatever I want with it. This morning, I chose to put some money in the offering plate at church, but I didn't give anything to the local synagogue. Why? Because it's my money, and in the U.S, you can quietly give money to any legal organization and not worry about people holding it against you.

However, I don't like the fact that hosts use "Hey, I'm a christian!" Dan Wesley (Web-xperts.com) is a perfect example. He'd parade his christianity around like an uptime guarantee, but when it came to dealing with customers, he didn't act like a christian at all.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!
      0 Not allowed!

I encourage it 100%.

(More business for me)

Infact, I'm sure we could find a reason why your god does not approve of web hosting...why not close up shop now?

Religion is dying. Deal with it. More and more people are turned off by people trying to shove it down their throat.

(Did I say that? Oh, I meant go right ahead)

0 Not allowed!

hmm...

mikey@snow[~]:$ whois jesushosting.com
    [Querying whois.internic.net]
    [whois.internic.net]

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
    for detailed information.

No match for domain "JESUSHOSTING.COM".

0 Not allowed!

There are many hosting companies that market to particular groups: Christians, Muslims, gays, photographers, Flash-enthusiasts, bloggers....
    I have a reseller (I won't divulge the name) that caters to New Yorkers.
    Does it severely limit his market? Yes.
    Does it aggravate some potential customers? Yes.
    Does he turn away all non-New Yorkers? No.
    Is it ethically wrong to market this way? No.

Now, having said that, let me add to it. In the years I have been on these boards, or the years I have been in the biz, I have never made it a secret that I am a Christian. However, if you search, you will not once see me use it as a selling point, a way to gain new customers. {I guess I'm just perfect, huh? }
    I think the true answer to the original question is the intention of the webhost. If the webhost is using their Christianity for outreach, a method of helping, a means of support to others, a way of identifying with clients....then fine. If you add the name "Christian" just to make a sale, I will remind you of Jesus throwing some of those type people out of the temple. Personally, if it is only for a sale, it reeks like people going to church only for the opportunity to make business acquaintences. Again, I believe it goes back to the intentions of the webhost. However, as we are not mind-readers, we can not tell the intentions. It is not my place, either way.

Quote from Rewdog
    I personally have the philosophy that you shouldn't have to say you're a Christian for someone to be able to tell.
    Very profound and insightful. I totally agree.

-Lamar
    Going out of business in our 10th year.
      0 Not allowed!

Heatstroke, I think the time to call yourself an atheist has ended when you attend a religious ceremony more than twice per week.
      0 Not allowed!

Heatstroke, I think the time to call yourself an atheist has ended when you attend a religious ceremony more than twice per week.
    which ones? are you a real world friend of his?
      0 Not allowed!

For those of us who take our religion seriously, (no flames intended), it is something we live 24x7x365. It is not something that we can separate from business no more than we can separate it from our marriages or our children. It is who we are. It is part of our thoughts, our actions, our finances, our lives. If you haven't found something that you can be that passionate about, then you don't know the One that I know.
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service
      0 Not allowed!

which ones? are you a real world friend of his?
    No, I don't know him. But he said in his post above:
    I go to a church/synagogue whatever you want to call it several times a week. Not one perticular one, or religion. I go to see what they preach, believe etc...
    I tend not believe that, since an atheist would not have a need to go to a church since they absolutely believe there is no God. He may have meant that he is an agnostic, which is someone who doesn't believe it's possible to ever know if there is a God. But then, if he meant that I'm sure he would have said it.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Webtiva
    I tend not believe that, since an atheist would not have a need to go to a church since they absolutely believe there is no God. He may have meant that he is an agnostic, which is someone who doesn't believe it's possible to ever know if there is a God. But then, if he meant that I'm sure he would have said it.
    Perhaps he's an agnostic, or maybe he's just interested in having debates with people. I have a friend kind of like that. He's an atheist, but can cite verses from the Bible, the Koran, or other religious books in a debate. Heck, he knows the Bible as well, if not better than I do. (Not saying I know it that well.)
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
      0 Not allowed!

this is a strange thread... if a person owns a company I don't see a reason they cannot promote the business as they see fit... whatever makes the bottom line rock. That is what it is about, the bottom line, right? And, if they decide to limit to a particular group, then fine. It is their money to do what they want... within legal bounds, of course.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by hekwu
    this is a strange thread... if a person owns a company I don't see a reason they cannot promote the business as they see fit... whatever makes the bottom line rock. That is what it is about, the bottom line, right? And, if they decide to limit to a particular group, then fine. It is their money to do what they want... within legal bounds, of course.
    darnit,

Guess I'm gonna have to stop catering towards drug traffickers...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Webtiva
    No, I don't know him. But he said in his post above:

He said he only go to different Churchs to see what they teach/believe, etc.

An Atheist can attend Church just to listen and watch....no harm in doing that even if they don't believe. My best friend is an athiest but "religion" just interest her so therefore she attends Christian, Muslim and Jewish churchs.
    Last edited by Shay21; 04-18-2004 at 10:12 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

No one is saying that you CAN'T combine the two...

No one is trying to create a new law...

They're saying it's frickin LAME, and a turn off.

Deal with it.
      0 Not allowed!

talk about redundancy! youve got more than the best DC
      0 Not allowed!

This is an issue many of my friends know that bothers me. Personally, I don't think offering yourself as a 'Christian Host' is a good thing for many reasons. Please note that I am a Christian myself.

My biggest beef is the simple fact that you're using someone's beliefs in order to market something. While I find no problem stating your beliefs at all and sharing them - whether it be Christian, Muslim, etc - going around using it as an obvious selling tactic is not right (in my own beliefs). Sure there is nothing legally wrong with it and as others have pointed out everyone is free to do what they will, but it is something that I think most would look down upon.

Now, putting aside the above, if you're really honestly wanting to share your beliefs, there is not a thing wrong with that. If you want to cater to a certain group, nothing is wrong with that either. I think trying to say a company promoting themselves as a Christian Host is wrong is like trying to say that a company that promotes themselves to a certain region (ie: the south) is wrong for not targeting the north, or the west for that matter.

Finally (and most Christians would agree with me I think)...using your Christian morals to help dictate how you do your business is fine as well.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast