Windows/Linux Hosting Lovefest

Howdy,

I currently host a few web based applications (SQL Server w/ ASP.NET) on Windows 2003 Server at a colo, as well as do some website hosting through a reseller account I have with another host.

I'm trying to ease into moving everything over to my colo and getting rid of the reseller account. Since I have apps running off SQL Server and ASP.NET(and the machine is tuned specifically for SQL Server) I will be sticking with Windows 2003. However I don't want to put regular web host accounts on my SQL Server box so I am thinking of going with Samba on Slackware or Debian for static file serving. I mention Samba specifically because I would like offload my file storage from my webserver (Windows 2003 web edition) and have a single box for customer files so the file server would have to be able to talk to Windows.

I don't really want to purchase another Windows license but the cost could easily be outweighed by the (potential ?) difficulties of trying to run a mixed environment. I also wouldnt mind getting into hosting on Linux. Does anybody else do this?

Thanks

Justin

Justin,

I'm really not sure what your question here... mind explaining

Here is the gist of it... does anybody out there run a mixed environment (Windows and Linux) and if so would they mind sharing their thoughts?

Unfortunately, I have had to run mixed environments. In short, samba is your best friend =). The unofficial samba howto was my best guide as was the o'reilly samba book. Together it can get you started running samba PDCs and BDCs.

Unofficial samba howto: http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/

O'reilly Book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/

Let me know if you have specific questions.. I might be able to answer them.

Cheers,
    Nick