Thread: Dual Xeon

Dual Xeon

Can a dual xeon 1GB ram with HT take 1000 users online at a time? Or would I need a P4 database server with the Xeon web server?
    Last edited by ealmiladi; 04-18-2004 at 11:08 AM.

What kind of site will you run, i suspect a forum???

I think that the P4 would be able to handle web traffic, while the XEON should better be used as the Database server.

I will be running a Virtual Pet Site. Hmm, but Dual Xeon could handly traffic. If I don't go with a database server, what do you think I would get? A p4 or a xeon for the database/web server. Xeon of course.

I dont think so, if you have lots of Database Work, then the Dual XEON wouldnt be able to hold up, at least thats what i learned from my personal experiences.

dual xeon 1GB ram with HT with just one site with 1,000 users online can manage it no problem.

Get another 1GB of ram to help with overall performance.

If however your scripts are overloading the CPU thats another matter

based on Aboul_YouseF's statement on another post:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=261695

I would say a P4 system could be enough if you just want to employ a singer CPU system. The main difference between Xeon and P4, Xeon supports multi-CPU. that means you may use P4 instead of Xeon except you will use a dual CPU system.

surfmanjoe Thanks for referring to my post ...

What i would want to say is that if you are looking on having 1000 concurrent connections to your server, then you should be thinking of your budget, since "Cheap" is not what you are looking for right now.

What i would do myself if i were in your situations is this:

Two clustered and Load Balanced P4 servers, each with a 3.4GHZ 800FSB with 2MB L3 cache Pentium 4 Extreme Edition processor.

If you are running LINUX then i would suggest using Serial ATA, they have proven to be much better than SCSI drives in terms of price/benefit when used on LINUX ( Recommended by Supermicro proffesionals as well).

Concerning the RAM, i think that 1-2GBs should be enough, especially @ 400MHZ.

ooh One last thing, make sure you get yourslef some chunky connection that wouldnt get congested etc...

So finally, what we could see is that the P4s are a much better solution for you, such that you would get your hands on 3.4GHZ P4's while XEONs are still locked at 3.2GHZ, the advantages also include the 800MHZ FSB rather than the Xeons 533MHZ BUS, plus even better the RAM on the P4's run up to 400MHZ, while the Xeon could only handle 266MHZ RAM.

This is an amazing solution, if you are really up for it, and got the cash, then this is absolutely what you need.

Thanks ...

well, does anybody happen to know the server configuration of WHT forums? thanks.

Last I read, I think I saw WHT Runs on Quad Dual Xeon Cluster.

Serial ATA drive are still behind Scsi disk if price is not a concern. Scsi disk still seeks much faster than a SATA disk by having more heads. The average seek time for 10K or 15K RPM disk now hoover around 3-4ms. For SATA disk (excluding the Raptor), it still is around the 8-10ms range. For single disk system, the seek time affects Mysql performance heavily.

HDD is often the bottleneck of the system. Try looking at your current setup and see if the HDD is the bottleneck. If you asked me, I think a P4 2.4Ghz would handle your site without problem.

just for some info theres a member here running a board with 700 users constant on a p4 2.8 with 2gb ram
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

A dual Xeon should handle that easily...
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

The pages all the a PHP connection with a lot of MySQL queries and then there are 10k members, 1000 users online. I'm affraid a Dual Xeon would overload by itself, I was on a semi-dedicated Dual Xeon and it still overloaded.ere was only 3 accounts on the server and they didn't use .2 CPU Usage. It might be the scripts, but I have experienced PHP programmers, we optimize our code very wisely. So I really don't know, we've ordered a Dual Xeon (2.0 HT 4CPU's) 512MB Ram, 160 GB Space, 1000GB Bandwidth. What that do?

512mb ram is not enough. you need at least 1gb for dual xeon. if this is a nocster server also try to get the 73gb scsi drive instead of 160gb ide unless u really need that much space.

The best thing to do would be to have two boxes -- one web server and one MySQL server. If you can, split the load up. A thousand database queries in a short time should hold up over a 100Mbps or GigE LAN setup.

That's just what I would do!