Hybrid View

Private Nameservers

Clooknet don't have Private Nameservers on their cheapest reseller package. Is this an important feature? Why would I need it?

Jon

You will only need private (or personalised) nameservers if you intend to resell hosting, using their reseller plan as your source of suppy. If you're not going to sell hosting, then their default nameservers will serve you just fine.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

I should elaborate a touch more.

You need personalised nameservers, for selling hosting, so that when you setup a client, you give them your nameservers, and not the nameservers of your hosting supplier.

So if your domain was billshosting.com, then you would give your hosting clients ns1.billshosting.com and ns2.billshosting.com, as their nameservers to use.

I just want to use it for several of my own sites. So its no problem then, I presume?

Originally posted by Jon12345
    I just want to use it for several of my own sites. So its no problem then, I presume?
    If it's just for your own sites, then you're correct, it's no problem to use their nameservers.

Bob is right on.
    Having your own private nameservers doesn't serv any purpose unless your clients are looking at them. If you don't host client sites then use the main hosts name servers instead.

Hi Jon,

Bob is absolutely correct - however, remember that private nameservers purpose is ultimately to create an illusion - being - that you are your own provider.

So, if youre reselling hosting, you want your customers to believe you are the ultimate provider and also, you want to "protect" your source so your customers do not go directly to them.

If you want to create that illusion for whatever reason, you should get your own nameservers.

ie - if someone does a whois on your domain (billshosting.com or whatever) - what information do you want them to see or do you even care. Based on that, you can determine if you want or need your own nameservers.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

From experience, most resellers insist on their own nameservers and it shouldn't be a problem setting it up on the server. As the others mentioned, you shouldn't be too concerned about it if you are not selling hosting space.

Regards
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

Well, I only host my friends, so whatever is cheaper is better for me...
    New site: www.talkutas.com