Server Spec advice for PHPnuke website

Ok we currently run a pretty heavy traffic PHPnuke website.

We got a dedicated server and it was working pretty well, but now traffic has grown again and I'm beginning to notice the website is a bit laggish, only on the php side of things.

straight html/images/etc. is fast as hell, but php/mysql is lagging.

We are running on a

1.7 Celeron
    512 RAM
    FreeBSD

server, only one PHPnuke website on it. I know PHPnuke isn't the most efficent CMS but we choose that early on and we're stuck with that now. What do you guys think is causing the php/mysql slowness?

lack or cpu or ram or something else?

Thanks for the help.

Most probably it is a combined CPU-RAM effect. I have doubled the RAM and reconfigured the httpd. Seems there is no lagging anymore, even when 300 googlebots are attacking the googlified Nuke pages, especially the Encyclopedia ones.

But I might be wrong because my connection to the Internet is very slow.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Cool thanks for the input,

Actually I just checked the website this morning and it seems fine, all super fast again, so i'm just wondering if it was just something weird going on.. maybe a reboot was needed...

Any other opinions on this?

What I was thinking was doubling the RAM to 1 gig first...

Better double it than resorting to what nukecops practice in the last several days. :-)))
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Re: Server Spec advice for PHPnuke website

Originally posted by noreason296
    Ok we currently run a pretty heavy traffic PHPnuke website.

We got a dedicated server and it was working pretty well, but now traffic has grown again and I'm beginning to notice the website is a bit laggish, only on the php side of things.

straight html/images/etc. is fast as hell, but php/mysql is lagging.

We are running on a

1.7 Celeron
    512 RAM
    FreeBSD

server, only one PHPnuke website on it. I know PHPnuke isn't the most efficent CMS but we choose that early on and we're stuck with that now. What do you guys think is causing the php/mysql slowness?

lack or cpu or ram or something else?

Thanks for the help.
    I run a PHPnuke site myself, that I have modded somewhat. I ended up moving over to CpgNuke, it cut down on my queries by 50% and increase my speed by a factor of 6, and I am happier with the security of it. Their site is down right now (cpgnuke.com, they also built coppermine), they are rebuilding it, should be up in a couple of days. You can download the code from the site though.

I would also suggest running MMcache to precompile your code, dropped my load by 40%.

I also run jpcache to cache certain pages for like 15 minutes, really helps with the cpu load also, you can also do this with mmcache.

I would also make sure that cache is turned on for sql in your my.conf file, or just to make sure you have an optimized my.conf for you sql.

If you are a busy site, 1Gb would help. I would look at your stats for they time period maybe you had a big jump in traffic.

have you optimized your /etc/my.cnf?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Thanks for the response guys... MMcache looks very interesting.

I'm not too familiar with running a server box myself but my friend does more of the technical side of things. What do you guys mean by optimizing my.conf for sql?