Thread: Cpanel

Cpanel

I keep hearing about Cpanel, is it as good as Plesk? Also I am thinking since it is so popular, to preinstall into my dedicated Linux servers. But who can I approach for buk licenses? Also the licenses seem very complicated. Any summary?

its unlimited users license. you just pay your monthly license and thats it.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Cpanel good, easy and have more feature than Plesk.

cPanel is the most rapidly developing control panel. Combined with Fantastico it has no second. Customers are falling dead about it.

Utter bunkum originally spouted by Imago ...
    *cPanel is the most rapidly developing control panel
    odd statement to make, as the windows version is still not done, the solaris version is still not done, the osx version is still not done, there is only 1 solitary developer ... and not seen much in the way of feature improvements in a while ...

hardly the most rapidly developing solution ...

More total tripe blurted out by Imago ...
    *Customers are falling dead about it.
    well it does the job in the main, *some* clients (especially hostng newbies) like it, but I've never heard of it *killing* a client before....

In short, it's a nice control panel, check out it's functionality before you decide to use it, make your choice based on whether it offers the features you require, at a price you're prepared to pay
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Contact cPanel for NOC partnership, I have heard you would need to get 200 license in bulk in order to get $9.95/license.

But please don't quote me on that, contact cPanel for that.

licenses doesn't go less than $42 for external license WITHOUT support.

it can never reach $10/lic/mo
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by othellotech
    odd statement to make, as the windows version is still not done, the solaris version is still not done, the osx version is still not done, there is only 1 solitary developer
    We are talking about development, not about diversification. cPanel have the most frequent new releases and the most active customerbase and user community.
    BTW, PHP-Nuke is also a one-man project, and yet the most popular CSM.

I've never heard of it *killing* a client before...
    :-)))))))))))
    It almost did, after the last exploit.

See also the results of the poll:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=258481

<edit> popular CSM --> popular CMS
    Last edited by Imago; 04-18-2004 at 05:01 PM.

>We are talking about development, not about diversification.

no, we're talking of the *published* development plan, several of which are now *YEARS* late

>most active customerbase and user community.

hacks and patches - not developments - there is a *HUGE* difference.

>It almost did, after the last exploit.

Now that woudl have made the news

Anyway, we'll agree to differ - you obv. love it , I see it as a pretty menu front end to some comiled perl scripts, most of which I'd prefer to do the old-fashioned/controlled manner from an SSH prompt ... as I said *clients* like it - which is what matters for a CP in the end I suppose ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Well, cPanel is nice and all, especially for newbies, but it isn't really that secure or stable. If you register and take a look at the cPanel Forums, you'll see what I'm talking about.
    The only reason it as so many updates is to fix some of the bugs it released.

cPanel: Unstable, but more widely supported with more features(not all are useful), can be a bit costly.
    Plesk: Stable, nice amount of useful features, cheaper then cPanel.

But anyway, cPanel seems to sell better then anyother control panel. So when you go with cPanel, be prepared for bugs & exploits.
    Last edited by cloudrck; 04-18-2004 at 05:27 PM.

Originally posted by Imago
    cPanel is the most rapidly developing control panel.
    Do you mean rapid because of all of the bug fixes that come out for it, forcing them to release a new version? I'm not sure about that point, as I've never been on the programming team of CPanel nor any other control panel maker.

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    Contact cPanel for NOC partnership, I have heard you would need to get 200 license in bulk in order to get $9.95/license.
    CPanel pricing doesn't go near $10/month, even with 500-1000 servers. Any datacenter offering CPanel for lower than $20/month are losing money on each license sold (Large amounts of licenses cost around $20 - Smaller volume purchasers may also be taking a loss by offering it at $20).

-Josh

Do you mean rapid because of all of the bug fixes that come out for it, forcing them to release a new version?
    Yes.

I do not expect it to have the functionality of H-Sphere, but who knows, hosting automation and virtualization being the keywords, we may wake up some day and find cPanel to present the complete server management and hosting solution while offering tmp patches.

I would agree cpanel seems to be more for newbies, alot of people are relying on it do sysadmin tasks, and it only seems to be fully developed for a EOL OS.

Plesk is by far more secure then cpanel. majority of servers hacked are cpanel boxes then other panels
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    Plesk is by far more secure then cpanel. majority of servers hacked are cpanel boxes then other panels
    That's only because there are idiots who expect cPanel to do everything for them.

"Log in to SSH? What's SSH?"

Originally posted by inogenius
    That's only because there are idiots who expect cPanel to do everything for them.

"Log in to SSH? What's SSH?"
    LOL, I totally agree, once something goes wrong and they have to do something manually, all hell breaks out.

But, it's also that fact that cPanel has more holes in it.

definetly more newb friendly
    hm what should I put in my sig?

Originally posted by Bashar
    licenses doesn't go less than $42 for external license WITHOUT support.

it can never reach $10/lic/mo
    I meant internal license. Or else how would dedicatednow burstnet and few more providers could do it at $9.95? Unless they are doing it at a loss.

Let's not forget that, in the final analysis, control panels are for the account holding end-users, not for the server admin geeks.

Yes I agree I had to deal with a cpanel exploit earlier today. Could have been easily prevented if I was working just a little harder. Still cpanel should be fixing the current bugs instead of stacking new features.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?