2 celerons VS 1 dual xeon

I know a dual xeon will far stronger than 2 celerons for sure. The reason I would still ask for help because probably my situation is kind of special.

I will not use my server as a hosting server, instead, just for my website only. one IP is OK, no email server required. However, my site has big concurrent visiting. like, sometimes it has more than 500 users online. I hope my users could be reached 1000 or more. The site is based on Java servlet technology. Anyone familiar with Java should know Java is a memory intensive monster. The backend is mysql database.

I expect I may have two servers, one for database, the other one for web server. however, 2 dual xeon boxes are too expensive for me. I found some hosting providers offer 2 celerons with almost same price as 1 dual xeon system.

So, my question is how two separate celeron (say, 1.7 or 1.8G) boxes with 512M memory each compare with 1 dual xeon (say, 2.4G) box with 1G Memory? suppose both systems has same IDE hard drive.

Another interesting question is regarding hard drive. I heard SCSI system is faster than any IDE system. Especially SCSI has a lower CPU usage. My site is database powered. if I want to employ SCSI for one server. which one should be updated at first? web server or database server?

Thanks for any help in advance.

I think the dual xeon is a much much better choice unless you have 1000+ users at a time then you will need either 2 P4's or 2 Xeon's

Agree with Tee.

Get a Dual Xeon with 4GB of memory.
    It's more of a tuning aspect then the server performance.

No way 2 celeron could be a dual xeon.

Go with a Dual Xeon instead of 2 celerons. Or at least 2 P4s that the performance could be comparable.

Agree with the votes for one box and also suggest that you put in more than 1GB ram. Two cheaper boxes have a high chance of breaking than one box, and either going out means your site is down.

Dear surfmanjoe,

If those are the only two choices that you are considering then I would definetely go with the Dual Xeon regardless of what additions have to be made to support the amount of users you have listed above. The cache on the Xeon processors are 512k in comparison to the stripped Celeron cache's which only posess 25k of cache.

SCSI is the best route to go as it takes some of the load off of the processors as well as allows for faster serving of data when there is high activity on the site('s) / disks. These hard drives are pretty costly however in some scenerio's are a necessity.

Mysql is very resource intensive which makes me believe that 1 gigabyte of ram will not support ~1000 concurrent users. You maybe have better luck as Mjfp stated with about 4 gigs of ram. 3 - 4 gigs would seem adequate from my perspective without further detail of what type of processing is transpiring.

I hope this helps,

~TAB
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 04-18-2004 at 12:25 AM.

Originally posted by AllianceNet
    Dear surfmanjoe,

If those are the only two choices that you are considering then I would definetely go with the Dual Xeon regardless of what additions have to be made to support the amount of users you have listed above. The cache on the Xeon processors are 512k in comparison to the stripped Celeron cache's which only posess 25k of cache.

SCSI is the best route to go as it takes some of the load off of the processors as well as allows for faster serving of data when there is high activity on the site('s) / disks. These hard drives are pretty costly however in some scenerio's are a necessity.

Mysql is very resource intensive which makes me believe that 1 gigabyte of ram will not support ~1000 concurrent users. You maybe have better luck as Mjfp stated with about 4 gigs of ram. 3 - 4 gigs would seem adequate from my perspective without further detail of what type of processing is transpiring.

I hope this helps,

~TAB
    I'm not sure what you might be talking about but Xeons are found in 512kb L2 cache and 1Mb L2 Cache models, celerons have come in 128kb L2 Cache and 256kb l2 cache. Amd Durons had 64kb L2 cache. Of course this is all the last time I checked, seeing I own a computer with a celeron and a p4 processor. Of course I could be wrong though.

Additionally, if you're heavy on Mysql, consider doing RAID5. 3 x 36GB or something like that to start. Doing raid significantly increase the performance of Mysql. Basically, start with a

Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz
    2GB Ram
    3 x 36GB

should be adequate to start you up. If you need more than this, you'll need clusters.

Dear FatalSw1tch,

I must of skipped over that number, the Celeron's have 256kb of cache not 25kb , I did not mention if it was L2 Cache though, thanks for pointing that out. Your also right that some of the more high end Xeon processors come with 1 Mb of (L2) cache which is also a good characteristic.

Regards,

~TAB

A HT P4 plus dual SCSI or SATA drive, if the budget is an issues, could also be a solution.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Yep, something like a Dual xeon with 3 x 36 raid is probably gonna run in the 400+ range a month

Definitely a single dual Xeon and SCSI, plus you might want to look into heavy performance optimizations: kernel side, apache connection handling, mod_throttle, mysql settings and so on.

3.2GHZ XEONS come with 2MB L3 Cache for those who dont know.

I would suggest the XEON over the 2 Celerons of course, but if you could get something into budget, try to go for 2 P4's, i have spoken to many clustering proffesionals and they all seem to go for 2 P4s rather than one XEON, saying that Dual XEON doesnt actually give you the power of 2 servers etc.. In addition those Dual CPUs are always fighting over Memory, Said by the assistant manager @ Gulf Digital.

So, think about it.

I checked somewhere (google, etc), and did not find big difference on performance between P4 and Xeon at same speed, except Xeon supports multi-CPU. That is to say, one for buget purpose, 1 P4 could be a good replacement of a Xeon, exept you need more than one CPU in a system. Am I right?