* Spenix troubles?

It seems that Spenix may be experiencing some DNS issues. I can't get to any of my domains and can't send email...can receive email though which strikes me as odd.

Can't report the problem to Spenix because, again, can't get to their website. Perhaps I should keep a list of IP's for these sites. In fact, I tried to reach one of my domains with the IP but that too timed out.

I did send a note to [email protected](email listed in their WHOIS for spenix.com) from another account.

Does anyone have any clue what's going on?
      0 Not allowed!

Both of my sites hosted by Spenix is also down, as well as problems accessing my emails.

Not cool, considering I just got my credit card bill stating that I owe them a lot and that I was thinking of recommending them to a nonprofit.
      0 Not allowed!

+44 845 123 2794 is their phone number you could try that and see if anyone can help. It is in the UK though.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm down as well...no E-Mail period....
      0 Not allowed!

only problem with calling the UK is that their Datacenter is in New Jersey. I doubt anyone would be in the office on a weekend. When I noticed it it would have been...um....10pm on a Saturday evening across the pond. Did consider calling them but...

Anyone have a number for the NAC in Jersey?
      0 Not allowed!

Just left a message with NAC...we'll see what happens.

Geesh...twice in the same week...this is getting old.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeh..kinda sux..SSL was down for at least a few days a few days ago (for me anyway) , so I couldn't take any orders...I dunno...it's been great untill now...
      0 Not allowed!

yep...none of my sites are all that complicated and I don't sell anything on any site...at least that requires SSL but when the mySql box hangs and DNS dies it sorta screws alot of us!

I love these guys...they have always been very responsive and quick to fix things until the last few days. I have this aching feeling in the pit of my belly about this...SURELY Mr. Freeman wouldn't just pull the plug...
      0 Not allowed!

Question

My sites are all very simple. They did send out an announcement saying they were looking to add AWSTATS and upgrade kernals etc. Hopefully they aren't having to fetch offsite backups... Any info from the NAC would be appreciated if you would be willing to share.
      0 Not allowed!

Kind of funny...I can get a page via hard coded IP address. Servers can't be found via name lookup though.
      0 Not allowed!

at least that's something! Means there's a DNS problem as I suspected. This may be too much for me to handle...as the spring and summer kicks in I can't afford to have this kinda downtime. I lived through the Troubles last year and understood what was going on...BECAUSE Spenix communicated with us. Now there's nothing...NOT EVEN HERE! Come on lads...don't run me off.

If I hear anything from NAC I'll be sure to drop it here...don't hold yer breath tho.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the response. I'm a bit of a novice with the inner workings of DNS. Not sure why name lookup would fail unless they had to change IPs, but then again, I am a novice.
      0 Not allowed!

DNS runs on a machine just like the rest of the web servers etc. If that machine hangs for whatever reason, domain names are not resolved. There should be some redundancy(two DNS servers) but apparently that isn't working either.

I've been in my Cpanels so all is well with MY stuff...just hope they get this DNS thing fixed and quick.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, I can hit cpanels on all three machines so at least the data is all there. That's a good thing!! Would Spenix necessarily have control over the DNS servers?
      0 Not allowed!

Is Spenix DNS still down? Spenix loads fine for me, as does all your sites listed in your WHT profiles (didn't check to see if they were hosted at Spenix). Do you still have a domain down? If so, what's the name?
      0 Not allowed!

heheheh....no offense Allera but since I don't know why their DNS isn't responding, I'm reluctant to announce my domains. Hope you understand.

How long has it been down...I noticed it this afternoon(edt)
      0 Not allowed!

I can't hit spenix.com, Comes back saying server couldn't be located.
    Last edited by cekr; 04-18-2004 at 01:29 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Cekr -

Yes...Spenix manages their own DNS servers.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, I noticed it this afternoon as well (EDT).
      0 Not allowed!

cekr:

I can hit each of those domains with no problems. I don't think it's Spenix's DNS.

I assume Spenix's DNS are:

cz.fxsonet.com
    cj.fxsonet.com

ctoak.org is pointing to those nameservers and:

# dig @cz.fxsonet.com ctoak.org A
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    ctoak.org. 14400 IN A 207.99.34.192

# dig @cj.fxsonet.com ctoak.org A
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    ctoak.org. 14400 IN A 207.99.34.192

DNS servers _appear_ to be ok (and I can reach the site fine from here).
      0 Not allowed!

Well, I guess I'll check in the morning....Might as well get some sleep....Good luck kyregts and thanks for the company. Misery loves it don't you know.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for looking Allera. Are you in the states?
      0 Not allowed!

Yep, good old sunny (well, not at this time) south florida. Bellsouth.net is my isp right now if that matters any.
      0 Not allowed!

The spenix website seems to be up now.
      0 Not allowed!

Hmmm...I can't get to it...Any announcements there?
      0 Not allowed!

We are investigating the issue.

It seems that KISS firewall has been behaving strangley and blocking some DNS queries. We have taken this down and are continuing to investigate the issue.
      0 Not allowed!

No announcements except that they installed the rvSkin for cpanel today.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry i missed your post Matt.
      0 Not allowed!

Going through the traffic logs they seem about 40% lower than usual for the past few hours. We are still trying to find out what exactly happened that our remote Nagios monitoring, internal SIM and websitepulse.com did not pick up.

All tests now indicate the matter has at least been resolved for now. We will be in touch with clients shortly.
      0 Not allowed!