Thread: Ip address

Ip address

I have a Raq server behind a router on my Lan. How can I make that server available to the world wide web? The router is capable of port forewarding but I don't see how that will help if the server has a lan address (192.168.0.*) How would I set up DNS if the server is inside my lan?

Thanks

you need at least 1 static public ip, you setup all domains to it, on the router you forward all requests to port 80 to your cobalt box,
    on the cobal you setup name based vhosts (might only work with http/1.1), see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/ for more help

But then I wouldn't be able to run a dns server on that Raq then right? How would I point my domains to my ip?

well, you can run your own dns server, you just need to forward the ports, e.g. port 53(?) udp to your raq, as long you have a static public ip & can forward port on your router to your raq, you can setup the raq on a private ip inside your lan

well, you can run your own dns server, you just need to forward the ports, e.g. port 53(?) udp to your raq, as long you have a static public ip & can forward port on your router to your raq, you can setup the raq on a private ip inside your lan

how would I do it if I had more than one raq server?

i assume you cant get more than 1 static ip?

no i can't. Is there any possible way? If I had 2 static ip's how would I do it?

well, you would need something like 1public ip/raq, no matter if you host those behind nat or not, it will work, if behind nat, you would need to forward the packages to the proper box on the router, but if having mutiple ips is not an options, need to think about something else, maybe something like
    internet->router->lan box with squid as proxy->right raq depending on site
    , but not sure if it works, or how

I tried forewarding port 53 on my router but when the rest of the computers on my Lan tried to access a website they couldn't because port 53 was being forewarded to my Raq server and the Dns was not getting through to my other computers. Is there any way around this problem?

Thanks

Post Start with DNS

If you start by using something like DYNDNS.org to point the url to the public ip address then point at least port 80 in your router to the inside address of your RAQ. This will get the basics started. Then using the DNS in the RAQ you can then point to whatever hosts (virtual) there are on your RAQ.
    This is all dependant on whether or not your internet connection is with an actual router and not a bridge.
    something like this :
    wwww.mysite.com -------> 66.66.66.xx (set on DYNDNS.org)
    66.66.66.xx (wan side of Router) 192.168.1.1 (lan side of router)
    192.168.1.1 = gateway
    RAQ = 192.168.1.xxx
    DAS

Originally posted by joney_bravo
    I tried forewarding port 53 on my router but when the rest of the computers on my Lan tried to access a website they couldn't because port 53 was being forewarded to my Raq server and the Dns was not getting through to my other computers. Is there any way around this problem?

Thanks
    hmm, does your router forward all traffic to port 53 to your raq?
    all traffic which hits the router? incoming from the net and lan?
    if so, and you can config it, set it up to only do it for external (internet) traffic and not your local one, since then your computers on the lan wont be able to use "normal" dns servers, since all traffic will be redirected to the raq, if you can change it and specific only external traffic to be forwarded to the raq, you might want to set up the raq's dns server to use "forwarders" for hosts it doesnt know, that way if you use your raq as your ns for your lan pc's it should work too