politics subforum to the lounge

I've seen alot of political threads be created in the lounge, I believe a subforum to the lounge should be created for discussion of politics.

I'm sorry, but that is baaaaad idea. Most, if not all, political threads get closed in the end for people getting all mad and insecure about themselves.

I think this talk should be completely banned, alongside with religious threads. They carry no value for the hosting community.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

I think this talk should be completely banned, alongside with religious threads. They carry no value for the hosting community.
    WebHostingTalk Lounge
    Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.

the lounge is made for non-hosting related discussion.

I'm telling you where most political and religious threads are going. I didn't say you cannot talk about it. They should be banned, doesn't mean they are or will be.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

This is something the mods have discussed in a private forum, we came to the decision that it wouldnt be a good idea for the same reasons outlined here.
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

im with art on this one, political and relgious debates only get people mad.
    Serves no real purpose to the webhosting community

It's hardly worth having a subforum for them as they tend to get closed pretty quick anyway when the personal attacks start.

Originally posted by ilyash
    im with art on this one, political and relgious debates only get people mad.
    Serves no real purpose to the webhosting community
    Agreed. These threads should go. There was a private thread about that too, but all that happened was a public vote put to the very people in the lounge who feed off the animosity they create. Of course, they voted against eliminating politics and religion from the lounge.

In any civilized gathering of people, it is an unspoken rule that such topics are taboo. I believe it should be the same way at WHT.

With the proper moderation these can be great topics. In fact there are a few sites that have refined the debating of controversial topics to a fine art.

This isn't the place though, the Mods have enough to do here. The last thing I would think they need is to have to micro-manage a political/religious forum...

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    This isn't the place though, the Mods have enough to do here. The last thing I would think they need is to have to micro-manage a political/religious forum...
    Correct! If we were interested in the topic, it might be manageable, but usually they are way out of hand before we get wind of it. Sometimes we will monitor them at the start and if all looks well, we let it be. Nothing worse than trying to clean up a 10 page thread though

There's also other forums more suited to politics and religion. Google can by your friend at finding some of those.

On my mboard I have a private forum for that purpose for select members who want to battle it out, but not visable to everyone on the mboard.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Well why not have a political area and have it say (IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT YOU SEE IN HERE,GET OUT!!!! TOPICS CAN BECOME HOT -- PLEASE KEEP LANGUAGE CLEAN THOUGH)

This could be done........

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!