Thread: Frontpage 2003

Frontpage 2003

I am looking for a new host. I just upgraded to FP 2003. In reading some forums, there seems to be quite a few hosts (example - lunarpages) that have problems with FP 2003. I am looking at bluehost and midphase as well. Can someone recommend a host that has a proven record so far with FP 2003?

Thanks,
    Fergie

Well, you can void out getting most any Linux servers as Microsoft, in all of their infinite wisdom, no longer is providing updates to Linux boxes for FrontPage (starting with FP 2003). Your best bet is finding a Windows server, but be sure you ask the host if they support FP 2003.
    Geek 3 Computer Repair

Well, I am currently with Hostway (way too expensive), and I am not sure if it is Linux or Windows, but I made some updates to my sites with no problems. Did I make a serious mistake by updating to FP 2003?

Thanks,
    Fergie

Hmm, we (Lunarpages) do not have any issues with FrontPage 2003.

You might be referring to special FrontPage components that requires IIS/Windows 2003 server. In that case most hosts that do not offer IIS/Windows 2003 server will be incompatible with your site.
    I like to help

Most hosts have front page extensions but i think hostway support fp 2003

What's your budget, and how much space/bandwidth do you need?
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Sorry, I do not have anything against Lunarpages. I had just read on your forum that some people were having FP 2003 problems. I am actually considering you guys as I have read some really good reviews. I am kinda narrowed down to Lunarpages, Bluehost and Midphase. I currently have 2 domains to host. Since I use FP 2003, just didn't want any problems. By the way, this forum has been very helpful.

Thanks,
    Fergie

Most web hosting companies support FP 2003... Most of the time
    you have to install it using the control panel before using it.
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

Thanks Dan. I just checked my Hostway accounts and they are Unix (not Windows) and my FP 2003 works just fine. Any good reasons I should select you guys over the others I listed? Not to put you on the spot. Just seems like there are a lot of choices out there, and all of them are definitely a lot cheaper than what I currently have. I am paying $21.95 per mth for each domain.

Thanks,
    Fergie

As I told you before, we (Lunarpages) have no issues with FrontPage 2003 it will work as good with us as with someone else.

Just want to make that clear.
    I like to help

I suggest you to do not use frontpage. Frontpage creates awful code that visitors who use different browser will see differently and sometimes not see at all. Instead use Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver creates much better quality pages and it can be used with any host.

Thanks for the input. Frontpage is very easy for me. I am not a programmer, but wish I was more knowledgible on website construction. But for now, gotta stick with something simple.

Originally posted by fergie
    . . . Any good reasons I should select you guys over the others I listed?. . .
    Please contact the vendor directly with any pre-sales questions.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Greetings:

Our parent company -- Dynamic Net, Inc. -- is running FrontPage Extensions on RedHat Linux 7.3 and RedHat Enterprise ES 3.

They have clients who are using FrontPage 2003 without a hitch.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I'm using FrontPage 2003 on Lunarpages with no problems. It is true that if a host has 30,000 web sites there will always be someone posting in the forums with FrontPage extension issues. Usually it's because they either transferred files using a third-party FTP program or they mis-edited their htaccess file.

I've been with www.fluidhosting.com for over a year... last year I got FP 03 and have had no problems at all. FH even upgraded to windows 2003 server last week and still no problems at all.

Might be a little more than you want to pay, but they have great support, no downtime to speak about... a solid bunch.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Jeez.

Frontpage extentions on Linux work fine with FP 2003.

I wonder sometimes where you people get your information from.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    Affirmative.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by akashik
    Jeez.

I wonder sometimes where you people get your information from.
    From what I understand, it is true that many of the features of FP 2003 will not work on Linux since MS is pushing the use of SharePoint Services, which require Windows 2003 only.

There were no extentions for 2003... FP 2003 uses FP 2002 extentions.

Personally I would go with a host operating Windows 2003. The only bad part is that many of the features of FrontPage 2003 require SharePoint Services (Team Services) but not many (any host I could find in Nov 03 anyway) actually turn SharePoint Services (Team Services) on due to the load or configuration (what I was told anyway... I could be wrong... it was nov 03 when I checked).

I love FrontPage 2003 and Microsoft (yea, I said it) but limiting FrontPage 2003 to Windows 2003 (for some features) was not a very good move....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!