Angry Need advice on getting ripped off by designer

I recently hired someone who came highly recommended on this forum to do some "slicing and coding" for a template that I purchased for my new website. To make a long story short, what was delivered to me was a lot less than I was expecting. I had paid him half of what we agreed on up front, $145. WHen he delivered me the half completed project, there was alot of back and forth about what was agreed on beforehand etc. If I wanted the half completed project, I'd have to pay him the other $145. However, he assured me that for an additional $150 ($440 total) that he would deliever a completed project, ready to upload to my server. Since my back was against the wall and I was under time constraints to complete this project, I stupidly agreed. He would not continue work until I had paid him the additional $295 ($150 plus the other $145). Like a fool I agreed. Weeks went by and I never heard from him. Finaly I was able to track down his phone number and got him on the phone. Apparently he had farmed this out to someone else who he was going to call and get back to me about. I never heard from him. I called hm again a few days later and caught him again. His friend who was doing this work for him was on vacation, but he assured me the work would be completed within a few days. I told him I would hold him to the date (he gave me a specific date) and he agreed. Well nothing happened and he never got back to me. I tracked him down again and threatened to expose his name and scam on WHT and issue a chargeback request. That finally got him to deliver these files that his friend was working on. Well they are all messed up. Half of the files are just duplicates, so I am missing half the work I sent him. I emailed the "slicer and coder" 5 days ago to tell him the files were messed up and you guessed it, I have been ignored again. At this point I just want my money back. Thank you if you have read through this sad tale all the way, but what I need to know is what's the best way of getting my money back? Can I pursue this through Paypal or my credit card company? Also, I think the last $295 was on a debit card...uggghhhhh. Thanks for any help.....
    Cpanel Hosting - Fast , Reliable, Stable, Secure - Since 1996
    CPanel/WHM Fantastico RVSkin Dual Quad Core Servers Raid 10 24x7 Toll-Free Phone Support

I cant really see how slicing & coding would be that much for a hosting company (not much to code at all?)

A lot of people outsource projects to other people. Usually its someone they trust. Maybe he got screwed by that guy. But that doesnt explain why he can just take your money.

Not sure how you can go about getting your money back. Id call him again and tell him up front that you and him agreed on specifics of the project, the price, etc. Tell him he did not deliver and you want a refund.

I would call your lawyer before you call him and consult with him/her.

In the future, I would suggest NOT to pay upfront. The way I do design/coding work with anyways is I do the job and show it to them (uploaded to my server) then they send payment, I send the product, eveyrthing works out.

Hope everything works out
    Dimitry

Thanks. Do you know if I can get a refund through paypal somehow? Or can I just issue a chargeback through my cc company? Not sure how they determine who is in the right if this guy insists he did the work. I called him again and I emailed him about a week ago, but no replies.....
    CPanel/WHM Fantastico RVSkin Dual Quad Core Servers Raid 10 24x7 Toll-Free Phone Support

Try your credit card company. I wouldn't think PayPal would help you. But, you never know. They seem to do different things at different times.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

You can try through paypal, but they usually won't do it on services. I'm curious as to why it cost you so much. I got something coded on here from a guy for $50. His AIM is werfew2004 if you want to get in touch with him.

Originally posted by Jhorra
    You can try through paypal, but they usually won't do it on services. I'm curious as to why it cost you so much. I got something coded on here from a guy for $50. His AIM is werfew2004 if you want to get in touch with him.
    It was 10 separate pages and fairly involved and I had only done traditional site design before, either myself or through a designer. So I had no real frame of reference on slicing and coding templates. I guess I was a sucker. But what about getting a chargeback based on a service. Is that doable through the cc company?

Credit card chargebacks are easy, tell your bank/CC issuer you paid for a service that was not given. I've done it many times years ago when webhosts tried scamming me. Another possibility would be to contact the BBB (bbb.org). They're a nobody really, but they'll put some pressure on him. They've helped me in the past as well.
    Webmaster Forum webmastertalk.net Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

I wouldn't say you were gullible. There are several things I got here that I realized afterwards and to late that it was a bad deal. I would give him one last warning and then post a thread here to let others know.

OK, I've gotten half of my money back from a chargeback and the rest should be forthcoming. I plan to post a separate thread with the details , once I recover all the funds, but for now let me say that the designer to avoid is named Steve Honeycutt. His name on this board is Southernman and he has a company called Slicehaven. I did a seacrh on his name and discovered I was not the only one to be ripped off by his scam. So BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

If its a debit card then you're a bit buggered, the policy is slightly different from credit cards. With regards to PayPal, I've gone through them once before and, whilst very helpful, they could do nothing as it wasn't tangible goods.
    ----
    Aaron Ferguson - Administrator
    DroveNet Services - www.drovenet.com
    ----

If it is a Debit Card, but used as a Visa or MasterCard you are protected.

Also, try someplace like www.scriptlance.com or www.elance.com

If you find someone here, then make sure you can find a problem like the above two offer for Escrow Payment.

Some designers want to see the money before they start so they know you are going to pay.

Escrow is the way to go. I know the above two offer it. It allows you to put the money in an account then transfer it after the work is complete.