clarify multi domain

I am currently shopping for a new host, and thoroughly confused over one particular aspect of service.
    As it is, I would like to use my allocated web space for more than just one domains. I mean domains, not sub-domains.
    Unfortunately the hosts make it rather obscure whether I will be able to do so or not.
    For instance, 1&1 offers with their home package:
    "Manage an unlimited amount of domains under one package".
    But it also says: "Includes 1 domain at no additional cost".
    Additional to what? To NO domain? Or do they talk about DNS costs here?
    Because on the next higher level they promise: "Includes 3 domains at no additional cost".
    Now, how is that to be understood in conjunction with "Manage an unlimited amount of domains under one package"?
    Not to mention the possibility of referring to sub domains, which is a whole different kind of animal.

Can someone clarify for me whether [email protected] (or any other host) will allow me to use my space for more than one domain name, and how, exactly?

Thanks,
    Alsenor.

I believe they are referring to add on domains. This isn't what allows you to control each domain.

It sounds like what you need is a reseller account. You can usually have unlimited domains and each domain you add has it's own control panel login. Each domain has it's own account under your main account.

There are many good reseller hosts on this board.

No, I looked at reseller plans, and they are far too expensive for what I need at this point in time.
    I really don't care what control panel I have to use, as long as I can manage my domains.
    So how does an "add-on" account work?
    That may be all I need?

Smile

Add-on domains are domains that you can point to specific directories under your account base directory. Hosts offering CPanel uses the term 'add-on domains' for multiple domain hosting ~

I do not know if you can create emeow addresses using add-on domains. I haven't tried CPanel~ Some experts please answer my question

Well yes, this "pointing" business would do fine for my purpose, and can be done at most hosts.
    All it would take is making unique folders for the add-on domain under my main domain, right?
    That would allow anybody "unlimited" domains.

Maybe they mean that they will pay for the registration of the domain?
    -Andre, MidFloridaWebServices, LLC
    >> Shared & Reseller hosting
    >> friendly & honest service

Quote Originally Posted by yupapa
    I do not know if you can create emeow addresses using add-on domains. I haven't tried CPanel~ Some experts please answer my question
    Could you please clarify emeow?

I believe what they are trying to say is that you get one extra domain at no charge in addition to the base fee you paid to get your account setup.

I guess we should define "extra".
    Extra hosting or extra registration?
    I don't need a new domain, but want to find hosting for the ones I have.
    If I can add-on any additional domains to my paid space it would be fine.

Your best bet is to ask them directly I guess. It will also give you a feel for their service.
    -Andre, MidFloridaWebServices, LLC
    >> Shared & Reseller hosting
    >> friendly & honest service

In Cpanel, an Addon domain is a full domain that points to a directory inside of your hosting account. It is accessed like a normal domain and does allow for setup of email accounts inside of the control panel.
    Rob
    Founder and former owner of SRLnet. Sold in 2006

I have tried that as well, with mixed results. Canaca.com said I could "point" to subfolders that are unique to domain2, and put my content in there. A one-time fee of $5.00 would do it.
    BUt I had no response to my email since I signed on and asked for it.
    It is hard to guess when a deal is "too good to be true".
    But all that is left to do is guessing, short of knowing some satisfied clients.

Here is a link to a tutorial that shows how to setup an addon domain in cpanel. Might help clarify the process.

Edit...Link removed. Decided it may be against the rules.
    Last edited by M7I; 04-17-2004 at 03:35 PM.
    Rob
    Founder and former owner of SRLnet. Sold in 2006

Re: clarify multi domain

Originally posted by Alsenor
    "Includes 1 domain at no additional cost".
    Additional to what? To NO domain? Or do they talk about DNS costs here?
    This means that one can register one domain name with them at no additional cost. This has nothing to do with the server management. Of course, you can manage as many domains as you need.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Not a very productive reply then...

PS.: I don't mean the last one, but the one before!
    Last edited by Alsenor; 04-17-2004 at 03:50 PM.

Re: Re: clarify multi domain

Originally posted by Imago
    This means that one can register one domain name with them at no additional cost. This has nothing to do with the server management. Of course, you can manage as many domains as you need.
    That is exactly how I interpreted it, but I still had no assurance of being able to use my space for a second or third domain.
    I slowly get the feel that "pointing" to subfolders with add-on domains can do all this, but I need confirmation by the hosts.

1&1 -- big company sucking bigger -- but that's a different story.

You can have multiple domains hosted in 3 ways...

1] Cpanel (or Directadmin) setup a complete domain with mail services under /home/youruser/public_html/newdomain1.com
    This is possible with any normal account and doesn't require Reseller privileges. All domains have a COMMON controlpanel

2] A Reseller account is setup in Cpanel (or Directadmin or Plesk) and each hosted domain gets his own home folder e.g. /home/newdomain1

In this case, each domain gets its SEPARATE controlpanel and you can manage all thru your Reseller account.

3] You can use the DomainParking facility (usually provided unmetered), use a PHP redirection script and setup functionality **same** as AddonDomain by reidrecting to sub-folders...only catch will be that Browser address bar will display the redirected url. But you can change this behaviour using mod_rewrite. Anyway, its obviously a messy solution.

Originally posted by nipl
    1&1 -- big company sucking bigger -- but that's a different story.
    That is another thing I find difficult. When I found an outrageous deal with a smaller company I was advised that they won't survive charging so little, and I should go with the bigger guys. Now I found the biggest(?) and the usual problems of big companies lurk again...
    You can have multiple domains hosted in 3 ways...

1] Cpanel (or Directadmin) setup a complete domain with mail services under /home/youruser/public_html/newdomain1.com
    This is possible with any normal account and doesn't require Reseller privileges. All domains have a COMMON controlpanel

2] A Reseller account is setup in Cpanel (or Directadmin or Plesk) and each hosted domain gets his own home folder e.g. /home/newdomain1

In this case, each domain gets its SEPARATE controlpanel and you can manage all thru your Reseller account.

3] You can use the DomainParking facility (usually provided unmetered), use a PHP redirection script and setup functionality **same** as AddonDomain by reidrecting to sub-folders...only catch will be that Browser address bar will display the redirected url. But you can change this behaviour using mod_rewrite. Anyway, its obviously a messy solution.
    So it looks like solution 1 is the practical way, and always available anyway. I would like to know why then is trhere often the talk about "multiple domains" or not. Just hot air I guess, because it matters little whether there is an extra cPanel for each domain or not, as long as I can run it.

With other words, I need not worry about "multiple domains" as an extra feature! It is like they used to run ads for used cars years ago: "V8, automatic, heater, radio, only $900..." as if there was any car on the road without heater or radio.

No, all hosting packages do NOT have multiple domain option. If its not mentioned -- its not there. Reseller accounts are treated differently -- here since the basic premise is that the purchaser wants to host & sell multiple sites in one account, so Reseller accounts have multiple domain capability always -- but normal shared accounts do not have that always.

So, in summary...

1] Shared accounts -- maybe or maybe not multiple domain capable

2] Reseller accounts -- a definitive term for Shared Accounts WITH Multiple domain capability. Most cos. now allow unlimited domain hosting in Reseller accounts -- in my biased view that make servers die young, so I'm not a supported of unlimited, 2000 or 3000 domains per server.