Whats the most effective strategy for you to get customers?

Is it advertising in forums, local newspapers, going around local businesses, flyers, leaflets or business cards.

It would certainly have to be local buisnesses. Then, it becomes a local word of mouth. Your biggest strategy is showing great support to your current clients.

Something someone taught me personally... be nice to one client and they tell 10 others about the service... and if you show bad support to a client... they will also tell 10 others about the service...

.. and those 10 will tell 10 others, and so on....

In a nutshell:
    Start locally (with some effort online) and make your 3-4 clients the #1 priority.

It's all of the above.

WOM is definitly effective. But, it's a double edged sword. It can significantly increase your member base. Or it can hinder your attraction. It all depends on how your clients perceive your service. Because, as EcpHosting said, they'll tell their friends. Good or Bad; they'll spread the word.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I am just repeating the above posts - but i have been around these forums for a fair few hrs and what these people are saying is 100% true!

Greetings:

Social networking at business clubs and chamber of commerce marketing events.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

This could be out there, but how about some commision sales people, that only make a monthly take per customer they sign up? And pay them what ever monthly amount you both agree on depending on the customer of course. And make sure that you cease payment if the customer ceases payment. That way, you have others selling your product. They wouldn't be a reseller, they'd be a sales rep for your company.

Word of mouth has been working very well for me.

One of my clients, who is running a Counter-Strike server, is advertising for me, inside the server. Which, has brought me quite a few customers.

Re: Whats the most effective strategy for you to get customers?

Originally posted by EcpHosting
    It would certainly have to be local buisnesses. Then, it becomes a local word of mouth. Your biggest strategy is showing great support to your current clients.

Something someone taught me personally... be nice to one client and they tell 10 others about the service... and if you show bad support to a client... they will also tell 10 others about the service...

.. and those 10 will tell 10 others, and so on....

In a nutshell:
    Start locally (with some effort online) and make your 3-4 clients the #1 priority.

I Ditto that!! My hosting company is living proof, treat your current clients right and they'll spread the word!!

Kevin

I think if you do any social contribution like donating to a well known chartiy and having them as on your website and viceversa would help, people like knowing that you care for the community.

Just an Opinion.

Yaser

Outrageous offers... like offer a free 2004 Mustang with every account

Greetings Aaron:

Or something even better... like 1 pound of chocolate per day for as long as you have the account ;-)

Take care.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Hmm... Chocolate... or nice Car.... Tough choice. What kind of chocolate is it? Regular Hersheys or imported German Chocolate?

Anyhoo, back on topic There are a lot of things that work good to grow your customer. But the best one is hard work and determination if you want to have a customer base that stays with you. There are plenty of underhanded tricks you can do to get a lot of customers really fast, but whether those customers are the ones that will stay, or that you will want to stay is another question.

Best strategy to get customers is to make the ones you already have happy... it keeps them as customers and will surely generate word of mouth advertising. I've never paid a dime for advertising and we're doing just fine.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Local advertising is the way to go. And nothing beats referrals from happy customers! Be accountable to them, communicate well, and provide good service - and the price you charge doesn't matter

Referrals is still my best resource. Infact 80% of my clients I signed up this month were referrals.

Word of mouth (referrals) is always your best form of advertising. In fact many people will go with any service that is referred to them over one that they found elsewhere, no matter the cost.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

The old fish in the bullet-proof vest still works wonders
    HOSTPac Web Solutions
    Solid reliable Hosting - Lowest priced Domains - cPanel Multiple Domain Hosting
    Now offering space on Australian based servers!
    Put the Big Koala on your team