Unhappy Webhost confusion

Hi, I have been searching for good webhosts for a few days now. From my friends' experiences I know hard they are to find. He has suffered a lot of downtime and loss of data. So I thought of doing some research before actually buying anything.

I am considering challengehosts dot com and hostnexus dot com. I would prefer a host in my country(India i.e.) but I haven't found any good hosts yet. I am not going to host a commercial website or anything. Its just a small informative website. My requirements are:
    1. 100-200MBs of space
    2. ~1-2GBs B/W
    3. php/mysql
    4. subdomains
    5. FTP access
    6. Email
    and all the frills that come with a standard hosting plan.

I am looking at spending ~5USD per month at the most.

Can someone point me to a good host with a good uptime?

Hi,

Have you tried using the host quote feature on WHT? You can specify your requirements and hosts which have signed up to receive quotes can provide you with a price. You can then maybe take it further and ask about the location, datacentre, SLA etc.

Rameen
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Also most indian hosting companies are using US or Canadian hosting centers anyway.

But i bet the support will be all the way back in the India lol.
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

But i bet the support will be all the way back in the India lol.
    I know what you're trying to say, but it would make little sense (especially if they go for the local market) to hire staff in the US.

Small and Medium sized Web Hosting companies focus on local market
    And that is why I would suggest.. look for a web host that is more local and if needed you can reach his office in person.
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Your requirements look like they will be easy to accomodate, so if you can overlook the flaw of not being located in India you are welcome to contact me and I will be happy to try to get you a good deal.

If you really have your heart set on a company set in India though I am sure they are around here somewhere, so dont give up.

Btw, I am sorry to hear about your fiends loss, its a pain in the...well you know, when that happens.

You need to find a host with an uptime guarantee. For your requirements, there are many hosts that can host you for 5.00 per month.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Originally posted by ldcdc
    I know what you're trying to say, but it would make little sense (especially if they go for the local market) to hire staff in the US.
    I was just joking. Hence the lol.

My search has yeilded some results. I have found a seemingly good host:

www dot skywebindia dot com

The deal seems good:
    50MB space
    500MB B/W
    PHP/MYSQL
    and other frills

It will cost me about Rs.1800/-(plan) + Rs.400/-(domain registration) which is about 50.0796USD. Not bad I guess.

But will 500MB transfer be sufficient? I can buy extra bandwidth if I want for about Rs.1000/- (USD 22.7650). That will give me 500MB extra bandwidth i.e. totally 1GB/Month for 12months. But then I would rather go for the other plan which will cost me Rs.3600/-(USD 81.9829) just for the plan.

What do you guyz think?

P.S.: Their servers are located in NJ USA(NAC i think)

Most Indian hosts are somewhat ancient in their plans and quotas -- inspite of using servers in US datacenters. So, you will see oddly low amounts like 250 Mb Bandwidth, 500 Mb Bandwidth etc. If you wanted say 10 Gb Bandwidth from an Indian host -- then price would be $20+/month.

Same for diskspace -- its like say $8-$12 Annually for 5 Mb/10mb diskspace -- but ask them for larger diskspace a Gb or above and you could get quotes like $40/month

Comparitively with all hosts catering to a global audience -- you will see hosting cos. sell 100-200 Mb easily in $5/month.

Check out uplinkearth.com I have used their service for quite some time and have been happy overal. They support Cold Fusion starting at $5 a month and I think they will support your other requirements as well. Worth taking a quick look.

The best service I have found is godaddy.com I have used many the cheaper the service the more they are down. Jay Rome