Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dinix? How are they doing now?

Hi there,

Yea, I have read lotsa reviews of Dinix but recently I find it weird because I have yet to see any Dinix review. (Other than Simpli-Erica had bad experience with them)

I would like to know if their technical support has soared ever since the DC migration to Atlanta. Or how is their network doing right now? I know Internap is now in the mix instead of pure Internap like before. BTW, do they have VLAN?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
      0 Not allowed!

Hey there,

I still have nothing to good things to say about Dinix. The support team appears to have grown, because just the other day I noticed two new people answering my tickets - that's a good thing. The absolute worst part of my experience so far was waiting for additional IP addresses the other day. I needed them desperately for a reseller client and it took about 5 hours to get a response (that was after I closed my inital ticket in the "IP Request" area and reopened as "Urgent" under "Support." Other than that, responses have been speedy and I have no problems.

I said this in another thread we were both in about their network, but I'll say it again. It was previously pure internap and it has remained pure internap. The only thing that changed since the move is that they dropped their lower-priced GLBX network and now ONLY sell internap bandwidth. The fail over network now consists of other tier 1 providers.

All the machines are setup on a private vlan and can have a max IP allocation of 32. I was told that if you ask in advance you can have the machine setup for a larger allotment.

Hope this helps .
      0 Not allowed!

I still have nothing to good things to say about Dinix.
    Did you mean nothing but good things to say?

So they use pure Internap with other tier-1 as fail over?

How long would it take for them to reply a ticket, you mentioned "speedy" but how speedy is it?
      0 Not allowed!

Yes sorry, that's what I meant :p...It's early !

Correct, pure internap w/ other tier 1's as failover.

By "speedy" I mean about 10-15 minutes . Hour at most for normal support .
      0 Not allowed!

To confirm, it's not exactly "pure internap" it's InterNAP through e^deltacom, a few extra hops, but in the end, it's the same InterNAP that was in Atlanta except with a middle man.

(Just an observation from looking at some client's machines on the ntework, I do not work for Dinix.)
      0 Not allowed!

So its still InterNAP but with other tier-1 as fail over, did I get that correct? Because I tried traceroute from Malaysia and it went through Aleron.

So I'm quite confused here.
      0 Not allowed!

Anytime you have a local loop there is a middle man unless you buy and pay to have fiber run but why do that when there is so much fiber laying in the ground.

Edeltacom own the fiber we lease it thus the few extra hops.
    We do push all traffic in and out thru Internap unless there are issues and then we have fail over to several other providers that is supplied by Edeltacom.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    So its still InterNAP but with other tier-1 as fail over, did I get that correct? Because I tried traceroute from Malaysia and it went through Aleron.

So I'm quite confused here.
    What are you tracing? Dinix.com? If so its not on pure Internap its on a different route thats not set to be pure Internap.

Try 209.152.160.10 this is the network all servers go on.
      0 Not allowed!

Tried it, yeah, all go through Internap now
      0 Not allowed!

Dinix is amazing.

We have private rack's in Dinix and the service they give us is nothing short of amazing.

Point in case.

We had a dedicated server client in another DC on a shared rack. I wanted to move the client to Dinix. I made one call to the team at dinix and within 6 hours we were ready to move this client into his new box on our private racks.

I have never seen a support ticket sit for more than 15 minutes.

We had a issue the other day with a stick of bad ram. Terry was down to the server and had the ram in hand. Server was pulled, RAM replaced and box back online with 15 minutes of us submitting a ticket.

They are really a top notch operation. TCH has the highest regards for Dinix.

Good luck in your search for a new DC, but you can not go wrong with Dinix.
    Last edited by TotalChoice - Bill; 04-17-2004 at 12:37 PM.
    Bill Kish
    TotalChoice Hosting
    Hosting over 50,000 clients since 2000
    http://www.totalchoicehosting.com
      0 Not allowed!

Do you know if their tech support is open 24/7. Tried to call and there was no answer. 866-999-3464 Hmmmm.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Paul L.
    Anytime you have a local loop there is a middle man unless you buy and pay to have fiber run but why do that when there is so much fiber laying in the ground.
    so far so good.

since when did buying *transport* force you to have your ip routed by the transport provider? tsk-tsk.

a quick look at bgp views shows that AS 30234 (Dinix aka americanproservers) is only advertised through AS 20141 (edeltacom). thus, technically, you are getting your ip from edeltacom.

now, there is nothing wrong with that, provided edeltacom manages the routers your traffic goes through well. making misleading statements about it is a no-no though.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters
      0 Not allowed!

dinix is absolutly amazing - there network is nothing short of high quality, I have not had a single network downtime with them (the only downtime was during there move), pings are great, prices are very great for the service, not to mention the SUPPORT.

The now offerd free fantastico for all VPS (soon dedicated too I think), and you had to send a ticket to get it enabled so I sent one at 3:46 a.m. in the morning there time, and at 3:48 I got a reply saying that my fantastico license is now activated.

They are very quick with the response and usually get it done right, if not they will try there best to work it out.
      0 Not allowed!

They do manage the core routers on each end of the loop thus we only have to advertise to edeltacom.
    We had the option to go with a direct connection but opted not to at this time becuse we did not want to manage routers out side the facility.

to make it simple we do pay for a local loop but its not managed by us.
    Last edited by Paul L.; 04-17-2004 at 04:21 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

We do push all traffic in and out thru Internap unless there are issues and then we have fail over to several other providers that is supplied by Edeltacom.
    As rusko pointed out, this is a lie. You don't have connectivity via Internap, you are single-homed to Edeltacom. I couldn't find any as-path information showing any transit for Edeltacom other than Internap, as well; are they also single-homed? I really wish people in this industry were honest about their networks.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by jsw6
    As rusko pointed out, this is a lie. You don't have connectivity via Internap, you are single-homed to Edeltacom. I couldn't find any as-path information showing any transit for Edeltacom other than Internap, as well; are they also single-homed? I really wish people in this industry were honest about their networks.
    Now I really dont like being called a lier if you wish to come see our setup I would be more than happy to show it to you there are more ways to skin a cat please read above.
      0 Not allowed!

Oh and I guess our 3 year contract with Internap is a lie to so thus I dont have to pay it, ya right .
      0 Not allowed!

Feel free to post traceroutes or as-paths demonstrating that your network is directly connected to Internap. If you'd like to prove rusko and myself wrong, I am always open to that; and am perfectly willing to admit when I'm wrong. All the information available to us indicates you are single-homed to Edeltacom.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches
      0 Not allowed!

Feel free to post traceroutes or as-paths demonstrating that your network is directly connected to Internap. If you'd like to prove rusko and myself wrong, I am always open to that; and am perfectly willing to admit when I'm wrong. All the information available to us indicates you are single-homed to Edeltacom.
    I have nothing to prove to you after you come here and call me a lier but if you want to know about edeltacoms network the see http://www.edeltacom.com/about/our_network.cfm#

Here in Atlanta unless your in Internap you connect to Internap at the local telco hotel, Edetacom has routers in the same hotel thus we worked a deal out to use them for that part of our network seeing how they had an OC3 already connected to Internap. This OC3 is being upgraded to an OC12 because of our contracts with Internap that we had in place before we even moved to edetacom.

So yes I guess in some ways its not a direct connect in the way most people think but in the end its no different than if it was seeing how we use 90% of that transit and our contracts with Internap allowed for the OC12 upgrade. We get a direct handoff from the edeltacom Internap router and a hand off from their other core routers that include Internap and the rest of their network that normal customers get.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think anyone is attacking you personally here Paul. What I suspect from reading this thread is people are questioning the claims you are making about your Internap connections and multi-homed capabilities.

It would appear that Edeltacom is the one with the redundancy and multiple connections and Dinix has a single connection to Edeltacom. This would mean that there is a single point of failure and that Dinix really isn't multi-homed, rather Edeltacom is.

Now that's how I read this, please correct me if I am mistaken...
      0 Not allowed!

dinix does not have to have a *single* connection to edeltacom, connections may well be redundant. however, dinix *is* single-homed on edeltacom, which is a direct contradiction to what paul (not me =) posted.

as i said before, there is nothing wrong with being single homed on an AS who you trust to provide 100% uptime. we are single-homed to peer1 in new york and trust their redundant infrastructure and their management thereof. i assume paul trusts edeltacom with the same.

the gripe we here have is that this fact was ommitted and, arguably, contradicted by what paul has stated.

paul

0 Not allowed!

So yes I guess in some ways its not a direct connect in the way most people think
    erm, it is not about what people think. a direct connection means you are a direct peer of the network in question. in this case, you are not. definitions are not flexible and the answer is quite black and white.

now, as for your explanation of why you went with this solution, it makes perfect sense. if you trust edeltacom with managing the core routers between you and internap, more power to them and you. noone here would have criticized this topology had you not claimed that it were not there.

paul

0 Not allowed!

errrr, i cant believe rusko has the nerve to come into this thread after the fiasco i read about him taking what a month to try and get some guy three boxes?? and he STILL couldnt get the guys boxes and the guy did a paypal charge back!

i cant believe you would even consider for ONE second to take ONE DIME from that guy!

take care of your own clients first!!! sounds like theyll need it!

read the NIGHTMARE WITH RUSKO thread before you listen to any of this!

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ighlight=rusko

btw i am an EXTREMELY pleased dinix client, as everyone well knows!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by LaurenStephens
    errrr, i cant believe rusko has the nerve to come into this thread after the fiasco i read about him taking what a month to try and get some guy three boxes?? and he STILL couldnt get the guys boxes and the guy did a paypal charge back!
    besides this being completely irrelevant to the subject matter at hand, the boxes were being delivered, you got the timeline all mixed up and the guy submitted a fraudulent chargeback with blatant disregard to his contractual obligations. go stir up trouble somewhere else, please.

our clients are well taken care of, but thank you for your concern.
    we will not take care of people who defraud us, which is not surprising.

read the NIGHTMARE WITH RUSKO thread
    perhaps *you* should have read the thread in its entirety. however, given your penchant for throwing tantrums without understanding the matter at hand, i am not that surprised this time.

before you listen to any of this!
    too late, honey. paul.l has already acknowledged that what i have posted is true. should everybody disregard what paul.l says too?

what i posted has nothing to do with quality of service, but with the technical details of how the service is being provided. since you obviously haven't a clue about networking, i assure you that noone thinks less of you for not understanding what is being said.

paul

0 Not allowed!

the point is, this thread has nothing to do with YOU!

it must really kill you that dinix has become so popular with most people! what happened, did your "fraud" client go to dinix instead?

as far as calling your own client who paid you $1300 IN ADVANCE and not getting what he paid for a FRAUD.... wow.... id edit that out before any potential clients see it!

btw, what happened to your website??

i dont care what people here think about my technical expertise or lack of! who cares!

------- original post----

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

besides this being completely irrelevant to the subject matter at hand, the boxes were being delivered, you got the timeline all mixed up and the guy submitted a fraudulent chargeback with blatant disregard to his contractual obligations. go stir up trouble somewhere else, please.

quote:

our clients are well taken care of, but thank you for your concern.
    we will not take care of people who defraud us, which is not surprising.

quote:

read the NIGHTMARE WITH RUSKO thread

perhaps *you* should have read the thread in its entirety. however, given your penchant for throwing tantrums without understanding the matter at hand, i am not that surprised this time.

quote:

before you listen to any of this!

too late, honey. paul.l has already acknowledged that what i have posted is true. should everybody disregard what paul.l says too?

quote:

what i posted has nothing to do with quality of service, but with the technical details of how the service is being provided. since you obviously haven't a clue about networking, i assure you that noone thinks less of you for not understanding what is being said.

paul

0 Not allowed!

errrr, i cant believe rusko has the nerve to come into this thread after the fiasco i read about
    ad hom·i·nem Pronunciation Key (hm-nm, -nm)
    adj.
    Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason: Debaters should avoid ad hominem arguments that question their opponents' motives.

paul

0 Not allowed!

excuse me, was this thread about dinix clients being happy with dinix? or is it other hosts envying dinix client acquisition skills?

oh and can you run that by me again just once more about how the guy who gave you $1300 in good faith defrauded YOU??

you now how slow i can be...
    Last edited by Project X; 04-17-2004 at 06:34 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

the point is, this thread has nothing to do with YOU!
    this thread is on a public forum. every member of WHT has the prerogative to respond. as one of the few here who have networking clue, i stepped in and corrected the factual error in paul's statement. nothing more, nothing less.

it must really kill you that dinix has become so popular with most people!
    i could care less. we don't compete with dinix. i said *nothing* of dinix's quality of service.

what happened, did your "fraud" client go to dinix instead?
    for dinix's sake, lets hope not =]

as far as calling your own client who paid you $1300 IN ADVANCE
    he is no longer our client. advance payment was in his contract. moreover, advanced payment is standard business practice among higher end providers. obvioulsy, you have no way of knowing that, do you =]

and not getting what he paid for a FRAUD....
    he was getting what he paid for and chose not to accept it. that is his prerogative. however, that does not absolve him of his contractual obligations.

wow.... id edit that out before any potential clients see it!
    i never post comments i have to apologize for. people who take the time to read our side of the story see right through his fraudulent claims. in fact, i have received tons of PMs and emails from providers and potential clients commending me on my handling of the situation. i have to *respect* someone to care about their opinion, so you are speaking into a big black void darling.

btw, what happened to your website??
    beef: it's what's for dinner. mooooooooo.

paul

0 Not allowed!

This thread has gone severely off topic - can you guys please take this elsewhere?
      0 Not allowed!

youre grossing me out with all your "darling" and "honey" crap...

ill bet beef is whats for dinner at your house. make sure and wash it down with a few jugs of milk... itll shorten your lifespan at least a FEW years be my guest!

ewwwwww.... gross!

ok, so what happened to your website again>?

ps im trying to visualize what a rusko looks like..... im seeing a guy getting out of a gun- rack- in- the- back, old beat up chevy step side.. a big santa claus like belly... and RED HAIR!!!! oh and probably lotsa face fur! ewwww! how far off am i??
      0 Not allowed!

excuse me, was this thread about dinix clients being happy with dinix?
    this is a thread about dinix reviews and comments on dinix. paul.l made a factual error when describing dinix's new network topology, so i stepped in to correct it. you have reading comprehension problems, yes?

or is it other hosts envying dinix client acquisition skills?
    we do not 'acquire' clients.

oh and can you run that by me again just once more about how the guy who gave you $1300 in good faith defrauded YOU??
    sure. he ordered machines, begged us to order the hardware before he faxed in his contract and never did. he then turned around, cancelled his service while we were delivering the boxes and filed a dispute with paypal claiming he never received *physical goods* he paid for. this is fraudulent.

you now how slow i can be...
    yes, we know. those who did not, now do. if you have further questions, please refer to the 7 page long thread. therein lies the answer to anything you might want to know about the incident. rehashing the issue in a thread which, by your own admission, is about dinix is highly off-topic.

cheers,
    paul

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Okay seriously, none of this has anything to do with UltraUnix's original question and whether or not people eat or don't eat meat is entirely irrelevant.

Also, Rusko's website has never been up to my knowledege, he as always provided custom solutions through that placeholder page.
      0 Not allowed!

oh my apologies, i thought what happened was that he paid you $1300 with the understanding that you would have him up in 7 days and after several weeks of him getting the run around that he decided to bail. did you really expect him to stay?? if you ordered hardware that he didnt pay for and did it without your normally required contract, i STILL dont understand how he has defrauded you!

in regards to the not recieving merchandise, well, the contract would have likely covered that. even so, you didnt deliver, right?? so it doesnt matter either way! you only have 30 days to do a paypal charge back.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by nickn
    C'mon kids....This isn't the playground.

Take it to PMs.
    nicky nicky nicky...
      0 Not allowed!

youre grossing me out with all your "darling" and "honey" crap...
    i am being dimunitive, as one would be with a little child. your behaviour indicates that this is, indeed, appropriate. you do *not* have to be 13 to behave as if you were, but you already knew that =]

ill bet beef is whats for dinner at your house. make sure and wash it down with a few jugs of milk...
    i like a czech or bavarian lager with my steak.

itll shorten your lifespan at least a FEW years be my guest!
    translation from lauren-speak: i wish you were dead. isn't wishing another member death against forum rules? it should be =]

ok, so what happened to your website again>?
    ceonex is doing their n-th revision. i declined the previous ones for not being original.

ps im trying to visualize what a rusko looks like..... im seeing a guy getting out of a gun- rack- in- the- back, old beat up chevy step side.. a big santa claus like belly... and RED HAIR!!!! oh and probably lotsa face fur! ewwww! how far off am i??
    i do not own, nor do i like, guns. i drive a mustang. i am reasonably fit. dark hair. i have a beard, sorta like aussie bob =]

satisfied?

paul

0 Not allowed!

oh my apologies, i thought what happened was that he paid you $1300 with the understanding that you would have him up in 7 days and after several weeks of him getting the run around that he decided to bail. did you really expect him to stay?? if you ordered hardware that he didnt pay for and did it without your normally required contract, i STILL dont understand how he has defrauded you!

in regards to the not recieving merchandise, well, the contract would have likely covered that. even so, you didnt deliver, right?? so it doesnt matter either way! you only have 30 days to do a paypal charge back.
    seriously, read the thread. this is *not* what happened. dont make me waste more time on you.

paul

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by rusko

we do not 'acquire' clients.
    ya thatd be kinda hard to do with no functional website

rehashing the issue in a thread which, by your own admission, is about dinix is highly off-topic.

what makes it relevent is that you are in a thread about another company which you are assumably NOT a client of yet you are attempting to question their credibility publicly (is that allowed here? or only if you have been here long) all the while, we have seen IMs of how you treat clients and have failed to deliver what you promised, that is, some boxes in about 7 days. then you call him a fraud.

that alone makes it relevent as far as im concerned.

cheers,
    paul [/B]
      0 Not allowed!

Lauren, ease up a bit. Dinix made a statement that was not correct and they were questioned about it. Apparently Rusko and jsw6 were both correct with their statements and Dinix was not.

Doesn't mean anything to the average individual except that Dinix relies on Edeltacom for their redundancy....
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by rusko
    i am being dimunitive, as one would be with a little child. your behaviour indicates that this is, indeed, appropriate. you do *not* have to be 13 to behave as if you were, but you already knew that =]

sorry, sounds like sexual harrassment to me.

i like a czech or bavarian lager with my steak.

alcohol, ya that figures! hahahaha

translation from lauren-speak: i wish you were dead. isn't wishing another member death against forum rules? it should be =]

making up more drama isnt going to do you much good

ceonex is doing their n-th revision. i declined the previous ones for not being original.

well template monster is still available... of course, thatll set you back at least 15 bucks..

i do not own, nor do i like, guns.

of course..

i drive a mustang.

my condolences

i am reasonably fit.

haha id like to see that mr meat eater

dark hair.

your only saving grace...

i have a beard

face fur.... yuck..

satisfied?

sorry, a guy like you could never satisfy someone like me... ive got standards.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast