Question Web host "can't upgrade PHP"???

I have a shared hosting account and it is currently running PHP version 4.2.2, I asked if it was possible to get an upgrade and they said that they "can't upgrade their older servers?" and offered me the chance to move to a newer one. Is this a standard practice? I assume the reason is that they don't want downtime on their network but it is quite a nuisance...

It's hard to guess why they are unwilling to upgrade and recompile php. We just recompiled php on one of our servers to accomodate a customer request for specific functionalily.

At least your host is offering an alternative. If you agree to switch to a newer server, willl the cost be the same? Will they move your site for you at no cost?
    Jim Whitesell
    Professional Internet
    www.proi.net

Yeah I just need to send them a request and they'll set up a new account for me, my site is over 1.5GB of data though and I really can't be bothered to move it all over. I hopefully plan on switching hosts at some point but I am still looking at the moment. Meantime I have had to write some large code work arounds for the older PHP version.

Sounds like they are just incapable of upgrading PHP. Be interesting to see a phpinfo and see the state of the kernel.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Do you have shell access?

You could tar it up (tar cfz), and use scp (secure copy) in shell to transfer it from one server to the next. On a 10 or 100 Mb/s, it will take less than a minute.

If you send them a request, they may do it for you.
    Pierre Grandmaison
    Offering 24/7 Toll Free Telephone Support
    Zenutech Web Hosting
    http://www.zenutech.com

Some companies won't upgrade php because so many people's site's may break as they are based around old code and they don't want the hassle from customers.

If they're unwilling to upgrade the box you're on they should move the account themselves - it's not difficult. Heck, upgrading PHP isn't that difficult either.

Regarding breaking sites it can happen but it'll be a minor inconvenience - and to be frank it'll probably 'force' those sites to update to better and more secure programming.

We upgrade PHP (along with everything else) as new stable releases arrive and it doesn't really affect our customers. In fact almost all are happy to find their websites are running on updated systems.

4.2.2 is a long time ago and should really be updated on all their production servers - regardless of the 'inconvenience' they percieve.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    If they're unwilling to upgrade the box you're on they should move the account themselves - it's not difficult. Heck, upgrading PHP isn't that difficult either.

Regarding breaking sites it can happen but it'll be a minor inconvenience - and to be frank it'll probably 'force' those sites to update to better and more secure programming.

We upgrade PHP (along with everything else) as new stable releases arrive and it doesn't really affect our customers. In fact almost all are happy to find their websites are running on updated systems.

4.2.2 is a long time ago and should really be updated on all their production servers - regardless of the 'inconvenience' they percieve.
    He could be using one of those old Raqs that come with software built in... I remember that quite a while ago, I think some hardware that came with some software were only upgradable when the Raq company released a patch. That is the only reason I can think of why you wouldn't be able to upgrade PHP.

Another not so likely reason is that he might have an important customer requiring the 4.2.x versions of PHP on that server.

I recommend switching to the new server.

Regards,
    Pierre Grandmaison
    Offering 24/7 Toll Free Telephone Support
    Zenutech Web Hosting
    http://www.zenutech.com

Instead of guessing why they "can't upgrade their older servers?", it would be simpler to ask them what's the reason for that and then assess if it's a valid reason or it's just made-up.

Cheers!
    Last edited by ldcdc; 04-17-2004 at 10:39 AM.

Originally posted by Clanhosts
    Yeah I just need to send them a request and they'll set up a new account for me, my site is over 1.5GB of data though and I really can't be bothered to move it all over. I hopefully plan on switching hosts at some point but I am still looking at the moment. Meantime I have had to write some large code work arounds for the older PHP version.
    just curious why you were thinking that you needed to move to a new host?
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

The server probably is old and cannot be upgraded.

the host offered to put him on a new machine. sounds reasonable to me. it isnt like he is complaining of bad service or downtime.

the grass isnt always greener...
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

the grass isnt always greener...
    Those are words of wisdom Lauren...

Either:

Existing scripts would break on a newer version of PHP

or

They dont know how to do it / cant do it as they dont have the level of access required (ie. shared hosting reseller type).

If the control panel is supplied by a provider such as plesk or ensim (which I'm familiar with) then upgrading anything that isn't sent to you by plesk or ensim in an update is like asking for an unusable server. One of my biggest complaints using both panels was how easy it is to screw them up by upgrading the wrong thing such as apache or php.

Also there is the "god only knows what scripts a big upgrade will render unusable without some moddiing" here they have this box with XX happy customers just fine with running php 4.2.2 and then one customer is like "I want a newer php" so they think to themselves "ok we have other servers with newer php on them this ONE customer can move to, or we can update php on THIS server and possibly break dozens of other happy customers' scripts due to some change or another in how php operates" easy choice there "no can do, but we'll gladly let you move into a newer server".

This is exactly what we do. We have some older Ensim and Plesk servers, full of customers with no care about new php or what have you, so about all we do on these servers is keep a handle on security updates for the kernel and other critical programs, and let them be, if someone doesn't like the old php version we have new directadmin servers running "almost" the latest php (4.3.4 or 4.3.5 and I think 4.3.6 was just like, yesterday, released) that those customers can move to just by asking.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I agree with Gary here, and I'm quite surprised to find so many people that would force the majority to conform to an upgrade like that. If there are dozens of folks with scripts that could break by changing something why mess? Move the person to a newer server and leave the happy customers alone. Of course it's all speculation on our parts but as the old adage goes: if it ain't broke...