Server has been down for a week.

Hi Guys,

my server was DoS attacked badly, and now is unpingable. My data centre (managed) is not helpfull at all.

Ive already handed out refunds and lost lots of money.

I have people complaining on messenger, via email its a disaster.

Due to it been the weekend the DC aren't there and they are going to have to re image the server.

What should I do? I feel so bad for all my customers.

Thanks

Luke

Move to a provider who is dedicated in resolving DDoS problem for you.

Change providers now. Any DC that isn't actually around to fix problems after hours or on a weekend isn't someone that you can go with to actually provide a shared environment to actual customers. A cheap box from someone like that is fine if it is something personal that you don't care about downtime on, but not when you are providing service to others or have your own mission critical sites.

A hosting company, no matter who they are, is only as good as their upstream provider. This goes for resellers, leased servers, co-lo and direct purchases of bandwidth providers.

As far as your customers, being honest is going to go a long way in helping you keep them. Tell them what has happened and what you plan to do in the future to avoid this type of problem. Then make sure you follow that plan of action to prevent a repeat.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

Yes, I have told them all what is the situation, alot demand refunds. I'm not made of money, they don't seem to understand this.

I've even recieved messages on my cell asking and asking whens it coming back, sometimes its the same person every 5 minutes.

You could also look into getting a good sys admin.
    -Andre, MidFloridaWebServices, LLC
    >> Shared & Reseller hosting
    >> friendly & honest service

Sound so much like us when we had major problem with a DC as well. I have client SMS me every hour from Philipine. Had sleepless nights, I understand your feeling.

Try to explain to them and take turns to reimburse instead all at one go, I believe they would take it since they couldn't do anything without the data. Or take turns to take free hosting or such.

If your customers' websites have been down for a week, they should get their refund. I know I would demand one. You should issue a refund to those that ask for it before they issue a chargeback with their credit card company, then it would get really costly for you.

In order to avoid losing too many customers, you might want to email them and let them know that if they stick it out, you'll give them some kind of reward, like a couple of free months maybe.

Anyway, good luck with your situation.
    -Andre, MidFloridaWebServices, LLC
    >> Shared & Reseller hosting
    >> friendly & honest service

Originally posted by gimme5
    You could also look into getting a good sys admin.
    I hired one after the DoSing started.

Re: Server has been down for a week.

Originally posted by Luke0r
    Hi Guys,

my server was DoS attacked badly, and now is unpingable. My data centre (managed) is not helpfull at all.

Ive already handed out refunds and lost lots of money.

I have people complaining on messenger, via email its a disaster.

Due to it been the weekend the DC aren't there and they are going to have to re image the server.

What should I do? I feel so bad for all my customers.

Thanks

Luke
    Hi Luke,

Looks like you are looking for different possible solutions.

Another possible solution would be to contact another larger host or a company who deals with mergers and people who aquire other companies.

You may want to look into selling out your company if everyone is asking for a refund. You can sell the customers accounts to a larger company, and make enough money to pay the refunds...
    Although unlikely, it is an option.

Regards,
    Pierre Grandmaison
    Offering 24/7 Toll Free Telephone Support
    Zenutech Web Hosting
    http://www.zenutech.com

Well while, I have no experience with Managed.com in a hosting environment, I do know that we had sent several legal notices that have gone unanswered as well.

This seems to be a habit

Again, my experience with their response time, or lack thereof, is not in a hosting environment, but I think it surely relates. I mean if they do not reply to our attorneys, over an issue of copyright infringement, then it speaks volumes, IMO about them replying to anything, with any type of punctuallity.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV