Thread: Authorize.net

Question Authorize.net

Someone mentioned to me recently that Authorize.net now supports setting recurring billing from the API.

Anyone know if there is any truth to this? I know it was only possible to make a single payment via the API. We would like to change our support of Authorizenet to include the option of recurring payments for our ISP's.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Start Your Own Telephone Answering Service!
    http://www.VirtualTAS.com

Yes, you can find information about this and activate it from your authorize control panel (click on the "Automated Billing" link in the CP). Here are the prices listed in our account (it may be different for yours):

Automated Recurring Billing Fees
    Setup Fee: $50.00
    Monthly Fee: $30.00
    I personally prefer to just use our inhouse billing system to handle recurring payments (more flexible and cheaper).

$30 for this? That is BS, pretty much every other company offers it as a free feature.

Our ISP's wil either pay it or we will start reccomending another gateway

Thanks for you help..

Usually recurring billing is free. Some resellers also for authorizenet.com as well as other gateways can markup the gateway charges, but for the most part - the monthly charges is $10.00 for the gateway. Recurring billing for LinkPoint is free. And it is free for Verisign Payflow (both Pro & Link).

Liverack, talk to your reseller, you can easily get that gateway charge reduced.

We will eventually get off our butts and become Authorizenet resellers. I guess we should be able to control this cost somehow once we are resellers.

Yes - they tell you what the minimum you can resell it for. And then you get a percentage of the profits. Of course the more you resell it for - the more money you can make.

There are still agents out there that charge people $1,000 for just the application. And people pay it. Why? Because they think they are getting good service - you get what you pay for. But yet, that same person can go to another agent & get the exact same service from the same company & not pay even $1 for an application fee

A quick note to add to what has been mentioned in this thread - Authorize.Net doesn't let their resellers offer the recurring billing option for free, you are required to charge extra for it.

This adds another $20-30/month just for the recurring billing module in AuthNet.

But keep in mind, most billing packages that process recurring transactions using AuthNet as the gateway do NOT require the optional ARB module with AuthNet. Instead, they handle the recurring aspect internally and merely send individual transactions to AuthNet (from the perspective of AuthNet).

You can also run recurring transactions on AuthNet -without- having to use their recurring system. Either via the above or with your own software app or using their batch upload capability.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

I use Authorize.net with ModernBill, and there is no easy way to do automated batch situation. No one that I have heard of has actually gotten this to work. If re-occuring billing was that big of a deal for me, I would pay the fee...

I'm only aware of a few merchants that have implemented the ARB optional module with Authorize.Net. The last time I checked, it wasn't possible to integrate this via the API and there was a manual step required.

I tried to verify that this morning with AuthNet but their support chat is offline for some reason. Time permitting, I'll check back again later on and see what they say is the latest on this.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!