two P4 2.8 or 1 Dual Xeon 2.4?

How would you choose?

We run SCSI on all servers... so for the P4 servers we run SCSI also, usually we can place 100-150 clients on P4 server and 200-250 clients on Dual Xeon server, with the factors in web hosting business, you would choose 2 P4 servers or 1 Dual Xeon? Thanks for your advice.

BTW: They are only for cpanel and http services, not for database

what type of motherboard did you find for the dual P4 processor?

sorry I meant two P4 servers or one Dual Xeon server. we use the Intel serverboard.

two P4 @ 2.8 - one goes down, the other one is working. free space on both could be used to backup one server on another.

regards,
    M.
    Powered by AMD & FreeBSD.
    "Documentation is like sex:
    when it is good, it is very, very good;
    and when it is bad, it is better than nothing."

but we found Dual Xeon servers' uptime is much better than P4 servers...

Dont' know why you'd say that? Must be a hardware issue with the P4 or some software not setup right. If the comparison is having both at the same DC and both using approx. the hardware applicable to their type of Server, then I would think you'd get more accounts on the Dual Xeon.

Price should be about the same for one Dual or two P4's so I cannot see any savings there. I wonder though if the Dual is faster/better enough though, to justify the cost -- beside the already mentioned fact of having more eggs in one basket.
    • PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    • Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    • ServerAdmin Services also available

Are you load balancing? Or just have two seperate servers?
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )

just two separate servers... we are considering load balancing but cpanel don't support it...

Originally posted by nowisph
    but we found Dual Xeon servers' uptime is much better than P4 servers...

The hardware has nothing to do with uptime, its how you admin your servers is how you get your uptime
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by thelinuxguy

The hardware has nothing to do with uptime, its how you admin your servers is how you get your uptime
    must add unless its faulty hardware or their is a dodgy fan/inadequate cooling.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

well thats true
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I'm not sure but it shouldn't be a cooling problem... the intel 1u barebone have 4 fans with it...

we keep the serverload low but those P4 servers' uptime won't excess 100 days or so... while the last downtime of dual xeon servers was half year ago... the crash was usually cause by overload in apache

bro, if your using linux you shouldnt even be exceding 50 days, because kernels come out every 30-50 days, very bad practice and very insecure.

we just run a stable kernel, should we take patches to the kernel? but I heard some kernel panic cases after patching kernel... so we're not doing it, only with hardware firewall and IDS...

2 P4.
    Iīm having problems with my xeon server.
    I never had any problems with my others P4 servers.

If all things are equal, there would only be two reasons that I can see for using a Dual Xeon instead of two P4's:

- the cost/performance ratio is much better
    - the Dual can handle the same amount of accounts as two P4's thus, cutting down on number of Servers to be managed

Not having experience with the performance of a Dual Xeon, it's why I asked above, if it is 3 times better/faster than a P4.

Any Server having uptime problems that are not related to the DC, is due to a one of, or a combination of:

- hardware issues
    - software installed incorrectly or needing optimizing
    - being overloaded

Although, if as you say, the Server goes 100 days before running into uptime problems, I'm not so sure I would call that a problem.
    • PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    • Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    • ServerAdmin Services also available