Unhappy Need serious help

Hi,

Since I started in this business and got my first Fraud order I knew it will not be the last

Currently, I have received a total of 11 yes you heard right 11 eleven Fraud orders, or someone is targetting me or who knows.

Anyways, I'm too smart for these people, at least I caugh them all before someone would get hurt (in the pocket!)

But, they seems to be getting smart, first they started with Original IP's meaning no proxies, all transparent but someone from the UK is on Tokyo placing an Order? I don't think so. Now, they're getting smarter or something. Using US Credit Cards where AVS checks the Zip and Address and matchs, so order processed anyways all the fraud orders where made via Credit Card, Including one via PayPal. All for more than $50, and you know for each Chargeback $25 fee . Anyways, all those trans were voided before processed so "notthing" happened.

I was wonderring, how to get more smarted that these people that are trying to rip me off. I'm currently not using FraudGuardian, I was wonderring if it was worth it, but I would like to use another tools besides that.

Thanks for your Help.

I used to have problems with fraud. Heres what I did:
    1. Make sure I had to accept new signups (so they don't start automatically)
    2. Use Fraud Guardian: It helps you see who the customer is and gives you some more detailed info on them.
    3. Treat each signup like an investigation. You need to cover all your bases to make sure they are legit.
    4. Call the customer after each signup. Even if you don't provide phone support. The customer likes it, and you can make sure they have a legit us phone number.
    5. Be suspicious to any changes in info and be on the lookout for people trying to cheat you...
    Yes it is very aggressive, but hey, I have had no fraud since this policy went into effect! In the end its worth every dime...

The telephone is your friend. With their phone number you can match the area code and exchange with the address on the credit card. Follow that up with a quick confirmation phone call and you have a pretty decent way to stop the majority of fraud orders you may get.

what's the link to fraud guardian

Originally posted by bluemc
    what's the link to fraud guardian

www.fraudguardian.com

Also callcustomer.com can help you again fraud order.

We used fraudguardian it does help screen out the fraud but its not 100% effective. I suggest not being too dependent on the service. Phone confirmation is the best choice.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

Originally posted by adaptivehost
    2. Use Fraud Guardian: It helps you see who the customer is and gives you some more detailed info on them.
    3. Treat each signup like an investigation. You need to cover all your bases to make sure they are legit.
    4. Call the customer after each signup. Even if you don't provide phone support. The customer likes it, and you can make sure they have a legit us phone number.
    5. Be suspicious to any changes in info and be on the lookout for people trying to cheat you...
    Yes it is very aggressive, but hey, I have had no fraud since this policy went into effect! In the end its worth every dime...
    I only have auto-setup for Shared Accounts and resellers, but I don't think they will do something with that account if I delete/suspend it after 12 hpurs

Yes, I was thinking of using it, now I will ask Modernbill to integrate it.

Each order from US is verified with Reverse Phone, Proxy checking, and IP location checking. Any orders below $100 receives a Phone call from us.

I'm waiting the Integration of Callcustomer for small orders.

Yes, I monitor Changes to credit Cards numbers, addresses, etc.

Normally my clients are very good ones (not kids) and are not the Fraud kind of people, I don't think I have an enemy inside (current client) but I monitor every Credit Card Changes.

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    The telephone is your friend. With their phone number you can match the area code and exchange with the address on the credit card. Follow that up with a quick confirmation phone call and you have a pretty decent way to stop the majority of fraud orders you may get.
    Yes, it is... The problem is non-US orders that are Fraud

Had 6 paypal reversals in two months. We started calling everyone that ordered. When you catch a fraud and notify the person who had their credit card ripped off they are your friends for life. Anyone that doesn't make the call is going to loose money!

The only way to prevent fraud is to do the checking yourself - MANUALLY.

YOu should never never never use ANY auto-account-setup program. Never create the account until payment is 100% confirmed and verified.

Always phone the customer and verify the order. Ask them to tell you why they are ordering, what are their plans for the hosting, etc... engage them in conversation.

If you simply phone and check to see if "anyone" answers, then this is not enough. You must converse with them for about 2 minutes. If it is a fraud order, then they will quickly hang up. If it is a real order then they will greatly appreciate your personal communication and be happy you called to talk with them.

everyone says they call, but in all the hosts I have ever been with no one ever ever called me. are the ones posting on this topic exceptions to the norm?
    Alvin

mrzippy: I've found it completely different with credit card fraud orders. Everyone I've talked with is surprised someone would take the time to ask the question and then wants to know what to do about it. They are harder to get off the phone than a real customer.

alvinks: As credit card fraud increases they all will start doing it.

so if someone gives no phone number or the wrong phone number you will not open the account? what happens if it is legit, but the customer wants privacy and does not want to share their number?
    Alvin

Originally posted by alvinks
    everyone says they call, but in all the hosts I have ever been with no one ever ever called me. are the ones posting on this topic exceptions to the norm?
    It depends on what kind of hosting you are using. If it is a cheap, low-budget host then it might not be worth their time or perhaps they don't care or whatever...

In our situation, we call every customer not only to screen out fraud, but also to make the customer comfortable with us and because it leaves a VERY good impression with them that someone actually cares about THEM. (ie: They believe they are not just a number.)

But it takes time (about 10-15 minutes per call) and that must be factored in to your pricing, etc...

so if someone gives no phone number or the wrong phone number you will not open the account?
    Yes, this is correct. If they do not wish to share their phone number then we do not wish to host them. I can't think of any good/legitimate reasons why a customer would not be able to or not want to give their contact phone number.

what happens if it is legit, but the customer wants privacy and does not want to share their number?
    Then they should go to a different host. We have a very good privacy policy that is prominantly displayed in many places on our website, including in our "order confirmation" email and each of our signup pages.

The policy clearly states that their information is NEVER sold or used for anything other then to contact them regarding their account.

If they desire such absolute "privacy" that they will not give a valid phone number, then we will simply refuse service to them. Honestly, if they are using a credit card to signup then i don't see why they wouldn't give a phone number.

In all our years, we have NEVER had any real customers complain of privacy or refuse to give a phone number. The only ones who have ever complained turned out to be fraud later. (For a while we did accept orders without a phone number and tried to verify via email, etc..)

We have considered giving them the option to also verify via postal mail (send a signed order form with signature and copy of drivers license, etc..).. but that is just too much work. (Although we do already require this for any order over a certain amount.)