I'm new, and have a question or two.

I have a website for a friend that Ive made and keep updated. we have just decided to get a paid site, we have been using a free geocities site atm. I don't know html, so I end up making the site on frontpage, saving the HTML's and then uploading them to geocities. If I were to get a paid site, will I be able to figure it out still, with my low skills?

Also, Im not too sure what I should look for in a place when I look for a place to buy the site from. He doesnt want to pay anymore then $15 a month or $130 a year. Also, its for a car club, so Im hoping I can add TONS of pictures, and maybe a couple small video's with out running out of bandwith. Anyone know of any good places I should look into?
    Any other suggestions is appritiated, thanks

Basically the only difference you'll find when uploading your site is the method in which it's done through Geocities and a real host. Geocities is all web-based, meaning you click "Browse" select your file, and the hit "Upload." With a real host you'd be using an FTP client. This is just software that connects to the server and lets you drag and drop your files right over. Easy stuff - you should have no problem.

To get him started, pick up a domain from godaddy.com (I think they're running a special), and then have a look around for a host that suites your needs.

Best of luck!

You came to the right place. There are a lot of good hosts who participate here. I would suggest contacting the hosts directly and get feedback from them. Ask them questions.

You will be able to use frontpage with any decent host and for $15/month you should not have a diffiuclty finding what you need.

yea welcome, look around hope u find what u need

Cool thank you all for the info. Should be finding a real host within the next week, Can't wait to get started. I was wondering, Im thinking mainly about this plan,

Power Package Summary
    Disk Space (MB) 1200
    POP/IMAP Email Accounts 200
    Monthly Transfer Included(GB) 50
    MySQL Database Support 2
    Additional Sub Domains 5
    Park Additional Domain Name 3
    FTP Accounts 5
    Web Address (yourname.com)
    Shared SSL
    Raw Log Files
    Management Tools/Control Panel
    Unlimited Email Aliases
    Unlimited Email Forwarding
    Web Mail
    Bulletin Board, Guestbook, more!
    Detailed Site Statistics
    Unlimited FTP Access
    Perl 5
    PHP 4
    C/C++
    Password Protected Directories
    Frontpage Extensions
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    1 Day Setup
    24/7 Technical Support

for $9.95 a month

.. Since I'm new to this I don't know if maybe I need something that they dont have or if they have something that I don't want. Anyone happen to give me any advice on that? 50 gb a month, for only $10 sounds like a great deal to me, But Since I know so little Im just curious if maybe theres a reason why its so cheap, or if thats just normal. Thanks again for any advice

Blaykz,

I have a suggestion for you:

Don't pay yearly until you are 100% sure that the hosting company is everything you want it to be. Especially if they offer 50GB of bandwidth for $10.00

Don't purchase a hosting account soley on the specs, consider:

Uptime
    Customer Support
    Speed of Servers
    Last edited by phpcoder; 04-18-2004 at 08:40 PM.

Originally posted by Blaykz
    I was wondering, Im thinking mainly about this plan,
    Blaykz,

With todays hosting market most plans are very similar. That plan looks like it should have everything you need (if you're a linux guy). I think you should be looking at a hosting company first and the plans second. Do a search for the company of the above mentioned plan. If you think the support and service is right for you then go for it.
    Primal Blue Software, Inc.
    primalblue.com

Don't pay yearly until you are 100% sure that the hosting company is everything you want it to be. Especially if they offer 50GB of bandwidth for $10.00
    There are plenty of good quality hosts out there that offer 50GB transfer for $10. You just have to look for them.
    AIM/MSN- nirkillerangel
    ICQ- 1248428229
    [email protected]
    http://www.killerangel.net

HeatStroke,

There may be some companies that are of high quality that offer this. However, there are the same ammount, if not more that are not high quality.

Either way, I would not encourage anybody to signup and pay yearly unless they have either done major research or have used the company in the past.

well, It said they have a 30-day, money back guarantee. Was figuring if things didn't work out so well by then I could just get the money back and look else where.

Just wanted to add that if your host offers CPanel, you can also upload the files through your browser with the File Manager. And also, as phpcoder said, I'd advise against getting a yearly plan.

Good luck!
    -Andre, MidFloridaWebServices, LLC
    >> Shared & Reseller hosting
    >> friendly & honest service

Originally posted by Primal Blue
    if you're a linux guy
    I've never used linux, Will I need it or Need to know how to use it for this?

Blaykz, unless you get a dedicated server, you will not need to have any knowledge about linux. You will just have to upload your files via FTP or the File Manager, and that's pretty much it.
    -Andre, MidFloridaWebServices, LLC
    >> Shared & Reseller hosting
    >> friendly & honest service

Originally posted by Blaykz
    I've never used linux, Will I need it or Need to know how to use it for this?
    More then likely not, but some people are picky about what OS they use.

Front Page will be the same on Linux or Windows. When you start programing the OS will have a bit more meaning.
    Primal Blue Software, Inc.
    primalblue.com

Great. Thank you all. You were a HUGE help. I think I finnally know enough to go ahead and pick a host and get started.