Life of servers...

I have a question, couldn't find doing search..

How long do 1U, 2U, etc. servers generally last?
    I know that what exact parts contribute to how long they last, but I'm just looking for a ballpark. Say there noted as all dependable hardware, servers from interpromicro for example.. How long do they last before something gets fried? And which things are the things to go first?

If someone can give me a ballpark breakdown of what I need to be ready for, and when, it would help alot. Thanks.

I've seen some last 1 year and others go 10. Without knowing exactly what your going with a ballpark is going to be tough to come by. Even with knowing exactly what hardware you're using it'll be tough.

But.. 3 to 5 years is the average term someone would depreciate the expense of their server across (assuming it was expensive enough to justify depreciating it) so I would plan on that time period.

Well, do fans need to be replaced often in most servers? How about proccessor heatsinks? Do those both generally go bad before ata hard drives?

JasonX, it's difficult to answer your question. However, I find that if parts are going to go bad, they generally tend to go bad quickly (within the first month of a server being put online.) The parts that I have seen fail most often are 1U power supplies and 1U CPU heatsink/fans. I'm not quite sure why this is, but those two (in my experience) have a higher failure rate than hard drives, memory, or other components.

I tend to swap out servers on a 12-18 month basis. This is because I would rather not have to go through a hardware failure if at all possible. Bearing that in mind, I'm probably a bit extreme in that regard -- most servers should last 3 years or so if they make it through the first month.

A 24-hour burn-in period should be standard on all servers. Whether it is performed by the manufacturer or by your server provider is up to your server provider, but it's highly recommended in order to detect and avoid immediate problems.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

There are many factors which influence how long a server lasts. Depending on if you use quality and brand name parts in your servers it will definetely contribute to the lifespan of your server. Also making sure that the server is always dust free and does not overheat easily is always a good thing We have noticed that airflow inside the servers is also a contributing factor to the overall performance of the server, I have been able to see the difference in regards to this quite easily.

In many cases there is a difference between the lifespan of a server and how long it stays in production. I have noticed that some say 12 - 18 months depending on the server, which seems like a completely fair statement in my opinion. However if you really wanted im sure it could "last" much longer.

Regards,

~TAB

Greetings:

While we've seen quality (key word) servers last five years and more, we've take a stance to replace our servers at least once every three years.

In our nine year company history, the actual average has been once every two years.

All replacements were done for business procedure reasons; there were no major hardware failures in that time period.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

most of the problems come from the ide hard drives though.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Greetings:

For us, we use RAID along with hot plug, hot swap hard drives.

We've only had one hard drive failure in 18 months (thank God); and resolving it was a dream. Unplug bad drive, plug in new drive. No down time, and less than 15 minutes of work.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile