hosting in house

any of you guys actually run your own stuff in house?

k. I know this a dumb question..but how much available bandwidh in terms of gigabytes is available off a standard ds1 connection in say like terms of a month?

No!

Don't do that!

A standard DSL connection has an unreliable 128kbps upload rate. I say, real world, you might be able to upload about 30GB of data...in ideal conditions.

However, DSL lines are not guaranteed to have 100% uptime, so it would be a very poor choice to run a moderate traffic web site off of such a connection.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Even if your ISP isn't already blocking port 80 (HTTP), they would likely suspend you if it were generating a lot of traffic. It's easier to just buy a cheap hosting plan.

It's not really a good idea to run off a dsl connection

You might be better asking this question in one of the other sections of this site... like hosting or running a business....

What you are asking can be done, but it will not be a reliable hookup. Are you simply trying to learn the server side of the business? No better way than to do it small time....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

whoa guys.. I think you got me wrong here..
    I said DS 1.. not DSL
    DS 1 is a T 1 line where I get 1.544 MBPS up and down

so the question basically is ..how much bandwidth can I allocate safely in terms of gigabytes per month.. whats the cap?

Found an old thread with this info:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=31736

Originally posted by mabblemedia
    whoa guys.. I think you got me wrong here..
    I said DS 1.. not DSL
    DS 1 is a T 1 line where I get 1.544 MBPS up and down
    you can get 100mb from cogentco for 1000 a month. lol wish i was rich

I figured out I was kind of asking the question poorly.. I should have stated "data transfer" amounts... anyway on a standard t1 (ds1) at 1.54mbps, it figures something near 500gb+ trans a month-dont quote me on the math. So I could safely allocate 400gb+ or so with the T1, if its a good connection.

Is that about right? Let me know if I am thinking out in left field

btw! I heard congentco kinda sucks>? Like bad?

also..does anyone else actually host INHOUSE anymore? or does everyone just rent?

Running a server on a DSL connection is bad for your internet experience. I've done it before, heh talk about EXTREME LAG!!!

also..does anyone else actually host INHOUSE anymore? or does everyone just rent?
    Nobody who's serious about reliable and burstable bandwidth does.

Why exactly would you want to spend $400 to $800 a month to host from a single connection which won't even satisfy a single cable user's download speed, when any decent datacenter these days can provide multihomed bandwidth with 100mbit burst speed for less than half the price?
    http://www.srohosting.com
    Stability, redundancy and peace of mind

My servers are colocated, I have had nothing but positive experiences. I run my daily server backups in house, just because it doesn't require 100% uptime, and I have the hardware to support it. I would NEVER try to run a web server in my house though, especially if I was offering space on it to others. Your best bet if you want to manage your server physically (add your own upgrades, and actually see it with your own two eyes... is to find a data center in your city that will rent you the bandwidth, space and power, it's usually not that expensive, and you'll find it better then most colocation places if you spend your dollar right.

Re: hosting in house

any of you guys actually run your own stuff in house?

k. I know this a dumb question..but how much available bandwidh in terms of gigabytes is available off a standard ds1 connection in say like terms of a month?
    A DS-1 can be more then enough for some sites but keep in mind your maximum burst speed is 1.54Mbits.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

My friend was actually gonna run something from his backhouse on a bunch of T3's. He is rich, so he can do what he wants...

Ah! He said DS1 thats quite a good connection - the same as t1. about 1.544 mb/sec

I thought it was pretty good... PACBELL/SBC said something like 85% of the data transfer connections are just DS1.

to clarify... DS1 is T1- the only difference is a T1 is setup primarily for voice services- so you get 24 voice lines- whereas DS1 your getting purely digital data trans then you hook up with like level 3 at some point and your connection hauls.