Have you used Overture.com

If you used overture to draw traffic to your site please share your experience here.
    Thanks
    Bob

The company I work for used/uses Overture.

The best information I have is it did draw traffic, but didn't increase sales very much at all.

I think the key is what type of audience you are looking to draw, in some cases, for each keyword.

For instance, if you are selling dog collars for $10 and all the companies above and below you on the search for that keyword are selling dog collars for $1, Overture isn;t going to help you much.

However, if you are selling to a specific niche, I've heard that it works quite well.

outsource

My undrestanding is even if it doesnt bring sales but draws traffic it helps you to get a better tanking and better position in google, correct me if I am wrong.

"My undrestanding is even if it doesnt bring sales but draws traffic it helps you to get a better tanking and better position in google, correct me if I am wrong."

That, I'm not sure of- sorry

My belief has always been that your google ranking will not change.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who is more knowledgeable.
    I buy vBulletin licenses and vBSEO licenses!

Re: outsource

Originally posted by Scuzzy
    My undrestanding is even if it doesnt bring sales but draws traffic it helps you to get a better tanking and better position in google, correct me if I am wrong.
    There's no connection between advertising at Overture and ranking at Google.

These days "using Overture" could mean two different things: the original pay-per-click ads that work similarly to Google's AdWords, and the newer paid spidering (with a PPC component) that has replaced Inktomi and gets you primarily into Yahoo's new search index (but is marketed under the Overture brand).

I'd stay away from the latter (called Site Match) unless there's a specific reason why you want more frequent crawls and updates or have been unable to get into Yahoo's index without paying.

For the first one (now called Pay-for-Performance), it's probably worth comparing your bid prices and results between that program and AdWords, and decide which works best for you or whether you want to use both. In most cases I think people will find the AdWords interface easier, but with Overture it's easier to predict what position your bid will bring (Google includes your clickthru rate in the formula along with your bid).
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Originally posted by outsource
    . . . However, if you are selling to a specific niche, I've heard that it works quite well.
    Yep, it comes down to finding those perfectly descriptive keywords, and drawing in buyers searching with those keywords for your product.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Some of our hosting customers have used Overture PPC but have had a pretty low conversion rate. Several are lowering their bids or dropping Overture.

Regards,

Jim Whitesell

<<Signature to be set up in your profile>>

ooo

ilike Overture.com

Has anybody got any experience with other forms of Pay Per Click?

I've used these guys with some of my past websites.. hits came thru well. traffic dot totallyfreecars dot com

Kinda simple and weird at the same time, but it did the trick.

Google

JayC

Let's say we have tow companies, A and B. They both adwords on google for three words " best reliable host". "A" somehow gets 5000 hits per month, B gets 50. If I google " best reliable host" company A will not appear on top of B, you are saying?

So far my belief has been that the more hits you get , the higher position you get on google.

So, if you pay overture only to get clicks and no sales, it still raises the number ot times that your page was viewd.
    Bob

HI Scuzzy,

Good point you bring up. I am about to embark on a google adword campaign, I have been interacting with their sales team. You can't actually talk to them via phone only via email.

From what you say: [Let's say we have tow companies, A and B. They both adwords on google for three words " best reliable host". "A" somehow gets 5000 hits per month, B gets 50. If I google " best reliable host" company A will not appear on top of B, you are saying?]

In that scenario in accordance to how I understand it ( I could be wrong as I havn't used it yet) it is a combination of the price you have bid per click and the number of clicks that you get also determines your rank position. I think the price is the main factor but the number of clicks matters in that it is used to maintain a "minimum number".

In other words I think that if you are bidding a high amount of money but your click through rate is low, you actually will get ranked "lower". This has the effect of keeping only popular adds on the network.

I THINK thats how it works. Please can someone correct me or add to this if I'm wrong.

Yeah, Tanuk, it works like you said from what I understand and from what I've experienced with them. The higher the click-through rate of your ad, the more often it is shown. If your click through rate drops below a certain level, your ads gets dropped. Which makes sense because they want to display ads that will make them money.

As for me, I've had better luck with Kanoodle and Google adwords. I like the fact that your campaign begins immediately with adwords.
    -Andre, MidFloridaWebServices, LLC
    >> Shared & Reseller hosting
    >> friendly & honest service

Yeah, thanks for the clarification. So it seems that with Google Adwords you "need" the click throughs to get it higher then that is done in order of the "amount of money you are paying" or bidding per click. PHwew, now I think I have got it at last.

I would like to check out Kanoodle so I'll do a google search and see what I can find out about it. Cheers.

Yah I also like the immediate effect of adwords. Esepcially for folks like me that don't have their Website optimized/ranked with the Search Engines.

Yah I also like the immediate effect of adwords. Esepcially for folks like me that don't have their Website optimized/ranked with the Search Engines.
    It's not a good deal - you should pay more attention to your site

Hmm, I have heard pretty much positive things about adwords. Having said that the major fact in determining success is the individual website/content and product or service combined with price and demand.

Yes I am planning to get my site optimized

Yes I am planning to get my site optimized
    Be very careful about this. Done the wrong way it could get your website penalized. Read a few things about SEO at http://highrankings.com/forum to know what's OK and what's not OK.

Good luck!

I'm a site developer and have used both AdWords and Overture PPC systems for my clients.

Personally I like Overture best; it has a longer learning curve, but the information you are given is much more specific and laid out better.

AdWords is rather confusing to get started with because of all of the factors they factor in. Such factors as bid and click through rate, when combined, can be aggravating if you are trying to build the click through rate for a site.

Here is the approach I have used with most of my clients:

1. Begin by learning about your audience. Who are they, on the average? Where do they go? What do they buy?

2. Optimize your pages to provide your users with the most useful information. Important note here; do not optimize for the search engines. Sure you do things like put the body copy towards the top and keep the key word count up in the body copy. But don't optimize in ways that can't be seen by the user. In other words, you need to work on your regular listing rank.

3. Once you are optimized look into Overture and AdWords. Pick your three best keywords and use them (you add more later). With overture you can check what the going bid is for each. Bid so that you appear in the first two sponsored links positions. I don't have any research to back this up, but experience tells me position #3 and down has less impact.

4. Most people have a set advertising budget. The key with PPC is not to be scared to use your budget. Don't worry about conversions at first. Adwords and Overture both let you set a monthly budget so take your total online advertising budget and split it evenly between the two. After a month or two, if you can wait two that is better, check to see where most of your traffic is coming from, keeping in mind Overture traffic will come from more than one search engine.

5. Once you have an idea where your traffic is coming from, you can work with that knowledge, either making modifications in your ads to bring more clicks from which ever PPC service is lacking; or applying more of the total monthly budget to the PPC service with the most click throughs. (that was one sentence, wow)

6. This last step is repeated for the rest of your life; modification of your site. You must modify your content, maybe even the design, to encourage people to purchase or sign-up for your product. Once you have the traffic, it becomes a known variable. Now the real work is getting your regular listing ranked as high as you can and modifying your pages to make the user feel more comfortable with your product, and want it badly.

Well I had not intended to write a book, but I hope this helps. Not that I'm an expert on SEO (who is?), this is just the mindset that has worked for my clients and I

Surf's Up!
    Ryan

Hey Ryan,
    That was fantastico mate!! Thanks a bunch, I'm about to embark on a pay per click campagne, so your words of wisdom are much appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean by don't optimise for the search engine but work on your regular listing rank.

I presume it means focus on getting your customers interested, or focus on getting pay per clicks through the site.

Hey Tanuk,

Sorry about not speaking clearly. I was actually referring to what IDCDC said:

Be very careful about this. Done the wrong way it could get your website penalized.
    IDCDC was referring to the ways you can optimize for search engines that kind of fool the engine into listing your site higher. If your use these techniques, and search engine engineers figure that trick out and add some extra code to the search engine algorithm your site could be dropped or banned.

So what I was saying was optimize your pages in such a way that the changes are always visible (meta keywords and descriptions excluded of course).

So the idea is to make your pages as authentically useful to the user as can be. The theory behind search engines is that they look for content that is useful for a particular category and place pages, ranked, in that category according to their relevance. It a good theory, and does work, but some designers get impatient and try to spoof their way to the top.

So what IDCDC was saying, and I hinted at, is it's better to be real with search engine optimization because once you reach the top you have a better chance at staying there longer because your rank will be legitimate.

SEO is a study in patience and humility.

:-)
    Ryan

By the way.... I checked out your site, Dan. You have some awsome content there; it was very helpful. Thanks!!

I totally understand what your saying Ryan and definitely agree. I am allways amazed when you see websites claiming to *submit your site to 10 billion trillion zillion search engines*

I'm still focused on getting my sites right, havn't thought about website optimisation yet, I'm more going in for traditional advertising such as newspapers, local media, telephone directories etc.etc. word of mouth...but will definitely get it optimized by an expert, and as you say not done by a fly by night cowboy.