Uninstall/disable unused scripts/services on cPanel
We understand that the following scripts will be installed as part of a Virtuozzo VPS with cPanel:
- Apache (cpanel version, includes mod_ssl/frontpage extensions)
- PHP (cpanel version)
- Webmail: Horde, NeoMail, SquirrelMail
- Database : MySQL (Default), PostgreSQL (available)
- Web/Mail Stats : Analog, Webalizer, Awstats, EximStats
- FTP Daemons : proftpd (Default), pure-ftpd (available)
- E-Commerce : interchange
- Chat servers : entropychat (html based), melange (java based)
- Mail related : Spamassassin, autoresponders, mail filtering, mail
forwarding, majordomo mailing list manager and spamd (spamassassin
- Web Related : Redirects, phpBB (bulletin board), phpMyChat, HotLink
protection, Search engine submission.
- CGI Scripts : FormMail, CGI Email, Random HTML Generator,
Simple/Advanced Guestbook, Visitor Counter, Countdown clock, Java Clock,
Entropy Banner (rotating banner ads).
- System related : Disk quotas, Customizable backup, Bandmin, Ability to
cluster, Scan for trojan viruses, AIM/ICQ/Pager notification and Shell
fork bomb/memory hog protection.
- Daemons (general): ftp, pop, imap, smtp, dns
Since our target clients only need about one-fifth of what is actually included, can anyone offer any pointers as to whether it's possible/advisable to disable (or not install) those scripts/services that aren't used at all? If so, how? During the initial configuration phase or through WHM subsequently?