shall I stop loading server here?

Hi

I have a server with 350 accounts and gross profit is around 1000USD on ths server. It only uses 160G BW per month and loading on peak time is 3. I personally think it is still loadable but I feel a bit hasitated now as complexity of server is getting high everyday.

well, please share your experiences or give me some confidence to load 500 on it

I think you should get another server as if peak load is hitting 3 then it to high

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

I would stop adding accounts at this point. Load will only increase with time, even with 350 accounts as customers add more pages, scripts, etc. Backup and log processing will also take more time/resources. It's time to get a new server.

if the load is only touching 3 at max times when backup of 350 accounts is being processed then to be honest it still has some power left - however, its always best to leave some space / resources on the server incase some clients sites suddenly grow behind expectations.
    Last edited by mark_uk; 04-16-2004 at 10:17 AM.

Depends if you have 1cpu, 2 or 4.. If you have 4 cpu's, than a load of 3 is low (less than 1 per cpu)...

Also, you can see whats the cause of the load.. for instance if its the ram, you can add more ram.. it can also be the cpu power, or as in our case (for freehosing), the fact that the IDE drives aren't able to keep up with 250 apache requests per second.
    Alex Melen
    █ Co-CEO at Melen, LLC (dba SmartSites)
    █ Founder of T35 Hosting (established 1997)

Hi

I have one CPU. I actually very much feel reseller account is more profitable to me Let us say I get 5 reseller account to have 150BG, cost is much less than what I paid now Maybe it is because I use managed server

When do you do Colo guys? I now have 3 dedicated now, shall I go into colo and what is the efficient way

Cheers

Jori

Co-lo is more economical when you have ~5 or more servers. When you can use the profit from 2-3 month's of hosting to purchase a server or two, and then co-locate 5-6 servers for the cost of leasing 2-3 dedicated servers.

Greetings:

While the quantity of sites we have per server varies based on the various criteria, in general (key words), we don't have more than 250 sites on any one server.

Our average load on all but our mail servers tend to be under 0.25 except for when we are running backup; then the load can head towards 1 or sometimes creap up to 2. But that's for a short duration.

Do your client web sites move like lightnight when you have a constant 3.x server load?

If one of our server's died, we would only have 250 or less to restore to another server that could handle the increased load for a period of time et all.

If you loaded much more on your one server and it died... then what?

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Dynamicnet makes some good points. Personally I would never run a server at a 3.xx load during peak times, even during a backup process that's too high. Anything under .30 sustained is good for us, that is also the point where we stop populating a server..

Even with RAID and a good backup system moving 350 accounts from a *dead* server would be time consuming. Depending on how much disc space is being used it could take hours to restore a server with that many accounts on it.

I would suggest you stop putting accounts on that machine about 100-150 accounts ago. If your profit margins are so low that you must put 350 accounts on a server, then that would be another discussion altogether...

Re: shall I stop loading server here?

Originally posted by Jori
    Hi

I have a server with 350 accounts and gross profit is around 1000USD on ths server. It only uses 160G BW per month and loading on peak time is 3. I personally think it is still loadable but I feel a bit hasitated now as complexity of server is getting high everyday.

well, please share your experiences or give me some confidence to load 500 on it
    The less accounts/domains on a server, the better. Don't be greedy now, and find a $$$ revenue level/server that is sustainable for your business, and go from there.

IMO, 1k/mth/server profit is plenty, and it pays to spread your accounts around on more servers, than to cram them into fewer servers.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

350 accounts grossing $1000 means you average $3/mo - not such a great business model.

We average shared servers at 250 accounts where the average cost of a plan is probably $7/mo. Loads are lower, profit margins are higher, bosses are happier.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by NexDog
    350 accounts grossing $1000 means you average $3/mo - not such a great business model.

We average shared servers at 250 accounts where the average cost of a plan is probably $7/mo. Loads are lower, profit margins are higher, bosses are happier.
    I would think that the price per plan would be more like $10/mo, factoring in the other costs involved.
    Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?

On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

How do you figure $10/month? A server only costs $100 or so per month.
    Webmaster Forum webmastertalk.net Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

Originally posted by NexDog
    He said "gross profit is around 1000USD on ths server". So I'm thinking that his revenue on that server is around the $1,300/mth mark.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

bobcares is offline [email protected]
    Never over load a server. Even having a lot of customers on a server means, if it goes down, a lot of support tickets and angry customers. Best is to keep the loads at less than 1 and having more servers. Even cheaper servers are better than the high end ones.

Regards
    Amar
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares...."

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    He said "gross profit is around 1000USD on ths server". So I'm thinking that his revenue on that server is around the $1,300/mth mark.
    I see what you're saying. I am so used to looking at the profit per server only after factring in all other costs included, directly and indirectly. So gross revenue on the server may be $3500, but once you add in all the other costs invloved and average it out, you are looking at a pre-tax profit of about $1000 for that server. I hope that makes sense--cause it makes sense when my accountant and I do it ;-)...
    Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?

On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

Originally posted by Amdac
    How do you figure $10/month? A server only costs $100 or so per month.
    $100 a month?

Sure for some celeron in a low budget Datacenter. Let's not even begin to add in costs for support, software, client resources, phones, and a load of other expenses to that scenario. I'll never understand how so many people feel that the cost of hosting plans should be based on so little of what the real costs of providing hosting services are....

Greetings:

"A server only costs $100 or so per month."

LOL....

We co-locate; and the servers we use for shared hosting run $4,500. That's just the sever hardware; not bandwidth et all.

And if you go with a quality data center and rent your equipment, $250 to $1,000 per month per server is not uncommon.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Hi

Thanks for al of your inputs. I think I will stop loading account now

My price of plan is close to 6usd per account, but I use GOOD managed server, it costs quit some plus other marketing costs etc...but I like it as I do not need to hire a admin so far.

I will try to raise up price , it looks like I could earn more

Greetings.

Good idea.

Thank you.

Jori, why not spend some time learning how to manage your own server? if you want to that is. Then you can get an unmanaged server which costs less... although it costs more in man hours but then you could keep the load lower by buying more servers for less and spreading the accounts