Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry That's it! I've had enough!

Every day I receive over 1000 spam e-mails. Enough is enough. What's more important is that none of my e-mails now go through anywhere!! (I use my local providers SMTP).

I have started my journey of fighting spam by signing for Profitability.net anti-spam services and that worked perfectly until one day I moved to a new host, changed the setting exactly the way they were, but... the filter didn't work, so now I receive all those thousands of e-mails directly to my inbox and nothing I fix seem to work.

Recently I tried MailWasher Pro, but I still do all the job going through hundreds of e-mails, blacklisting them all still spend my time working on that. I'm tired. I'm really really pissed and tired.

I'm out to shop for a better solution that would stop it.

I have screened tens of services listed at Yahoo, but the majority of them seem to be working as a patch for Outlook that is basically do nothing more than just "separating" junk from the crowd. No one guarantees 100%, more like 98-99.9%.

I've been looking at SpamArrest.com service, which works this way: after sending me an e-mail, the sender received a notification to "approve" his e-mail by entering a code into a designated box. If he does (he needs to do it only once), the message only then reaches me. But then how would I ever manage to receive third-party, automatically generated applications and other forms sent to me? I'll get stuck.

Please, if anyone is aware of a similar or a better solution out there that works - I would appreciate your recommendations.

I would love if this thread will actually stay on topic of recommending different anti-spam solutions and just discussing how to fight spam the best way.

Please help me save my mind and ability to communicate with people by e-mail. Thank you.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Art, would it be possible to use spamarrest.com on say "[email protected]" and then for third party emails such as message boards, etc use something like "[email protected]" and have that bypass spamarrest.com?

I was also going to signup with them, but as you stated... was worried about forum software, my billing software, etc all trying to send me emails.

Or would spam arrest have an area where you can whitelist specific domains/emails?

spam assassain is pretty good.

I used spam assassin for about a week and begain to notice I was missing out on the odd inquiry which I don't like. Using spamassassin without spambox is useless I found.

Try Mailwasher. I've heard it's good. Haven't got around to trying it, though.
    There are several programs listed here:
    http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-12.html
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

This is what you need to do:

Register a domain or use one you've already got and then use that as your email address, never give it out or use it to sign up for things. Thats it, no spam assasin no nothing, its worked for me NOT ONE PEICE OF SPAM IN 2 YEARS

Host Spotlight : Find a host / List your company
    Web Host Resources : Database of Hosting Utilities
    Darn signature copycat, lol

Mekhu, both of your points are superb!

1. Yes, it would be actually possible to change the e-mail all those forms are being sent to to a special new account, but I think their ISP solution requires you to apply it to the whole @domainname.com, so theoretically speaking... they won't go through, cause they are being filtered themselves.

There is a better solution though. If you are worried about your forms, then how about you forward them to an external domain name that you also operate, while leaving all your major names protected?

That way you receive those forms and orders, while you keep your business domain protected. You can also still respond with your major account! Do you think that will work?

2. Again, same experience as you. Spam Assasin has filtered plenty of legal and important e-mails I was waiting to receive, so no, I don't trust that solution.

Best,

Originally posted by Bub Host
    Darn signature copycat, lol
    I prefer the term signature "rip".

Bub, care to explain this a little better as to how you do not get spam?

Would this work?

Forward all your mail to Hotmail account, which will flter results. Then forward legal ones to a new business account? Am I missing something here?

Best,

Art, have you contacted spamarrest.com regarding a whitelist feature? I'm gonna go check out the site now.

--------

Messages from verified senders and mailing lists are forwarded to your Spam Arrest inbox.

Messages from unverified senders are held, pending verification. Upon verification, the message is delivered to your Spam Arrest inbox. You may review your unverified email on the website at any time.

That sounds to me like we could login to our "cp" and maybe white flag specific addresses / domains.

Thinking I might register for this trial tonight.

Bub, care to explain this a little better as to how you do not get spam?
    Basically:

1. Dont use free email addresses,
    2. Register a domain or use on you already have,
    3. Use this as your email address, ie, [email protected]
    4. Dont use it to sign up for services and junk and dont give it out online.

Works a charm, use another address for signing up with things.

I prefer the term signature "rip".
    Did you actually decide to do that style signature with red and black etc. because of mine?

Bub Host, I understand, but how do you really eliminate all that junk that is going your way no matter if you're using another account to communicate or not?

I do have accounts that do not receive spam (on other domains), but it is the troubled domain that I want to save.

Originally posted by Mekhu
    Art, have you contacted spamarrest.com regarding a whitelist feature? I'm gonna go check out the site now.

--------

Messages from verified senders and mailing lists are forwarded to your Spam Arrest inbox.

Messages from unverified senders are held, pending verification. Upon verification, the message is delivered to your Spam Arrest inbox. You may review your unverified email on the website at any time.

That sounds to me like we could login to our "cp" and maybe white flag specific addresses / domains.

Thinking I might register for this trial tonight.
    Again, I've seen that as well and this means that we do have access to your control panel where you can add friend's accounts so they go through fine as well as those you want to "approve". I think this is how it works.

But then again, I'm not sure. I'm going to ask SpamArrest how the ISP solution works precisely.

Mekhu, do you think it is hard to develop/clone your own service like (send-reply-confirm) SpamArrest and make it work just for your own good?

Art,

"You can let Spam Arrest take care of confirming who you should receive email from, and keeping the spam out, or you can use the Spam Arrest site to block or enable emails, newsletters, and mailing lists yourself."

Originally posted by Artashes
    Bub Host, I understand, but how do you really eliminate all that junk that is going your way no matter if you're using another account to communicate or not?

I do have accounts that do not receive spam (on other domains), but it is the troubled domain that I want to save.
    lol, im just lucky I guess.....even the email address I use to sign up for things and I even post it on the net and still no SPAM

There isn't really a way to get rid of mass SPAM unfortuneteyly

Not sure about your clone question. But I do know for $3 a month I can eliminate spam

Going to try this out for a bit.

[added] SICK! [/added]

Originally posted by Mekhu
    Art,

"You can let Spam Arrest take care of confirming who you should receive email from, and keeping the spam out, or you can use the Spam Arrest site to block or enable emails, newsletters, and mailing lists yourself."
    Is that their official response? So then you basically have a choice either to make those who send you e-mails work and confirm their addresses by themselves or help the process by adding eligible domains?

Its just if the form/order form is being sent automatically from an e-mail of your own domain, how can you approve yourself since the form will be sending it to you forever and never reach you...

If that is the case, SpamArrest is a wonderful service.

TESTING

I'm changing one of my e-mail addresses (received ~300 spam per day) to forward all mail to Hotmail at the moment. I'll see how it works in the next few hours. I'll see if that is also convenient.

Originally posted by Bub Host
    lol, im just lucky I guess.....even the email address I use to sign up for things and I even post it on the net and still no SPAM

There isn't really a way to get rid of mass SPAM unfortuneteyly
    Maybe I can forward it to you then?

Mekhu, what solution are you going with? Personal or ISP? If $3, I assume you only need to protect one account?

Hey, I can probably save a bunch of money by forwarding all my 5 big accounts to one and use that one only with SpamArrest!

Or would you recommend sticking to ISP solution - it does seem just as well organized.

That response is from within their control panel. I'm adding known addresses right now. Stuff such as my own billing addresses, friends/family, etc.

Also note that you can login and view all filtered mail. I'll likely do this for a week or so to help move the process along, but after that, really only need to login when you signup for a new board or something.

ISP or personal... now you lost me. I guess the fact I only have 1 email would answer your question?

Mekhu:

1. How much spam per day do you get on average?

2. Can you please make a screenshot of what the CP looks like, if possible, with navigation/options.

3. Let me get this straight: those e-mails that you add to the "safe list" would have problems when they send you stuff - senders will not get a "please confirm your e-mail" message then - it'll go straight to your inbox?

EDIT: Yes, 1 address means personal service. There is an enterprise edition for ISP (companies that use more than 1 account for business).

Best,

1. How much spam per day do you get on average?

I'd say anywhere from 300-400 on the average day.

2. Can you please make a screenshot of what the CP looks like, if possible, with navigation/options.

Honestly, just grab a free trial... what's the worst that could happen... 1 more spam email from them Just because there's a lot in there. Nice setup indeed!

3. Let me get this straight: those e-mails that you add to the "safe list" would have problems when they send you stuff - senders will not get a "please confirm your e-mail" message then - it'll go straight to your inbox?

I just whitelisted my fathers email address in the cp and had him send me an email. It came into my outlook inbox instantly like usual and he got no messages.

Just send you an e-mail. I'll wait a minute.

You sent it to yourself and didn't get anything? That sucks because all my forms are being sent from the same e-mail. Pfff... I'm a slow thinker. I could just make them send it to a new account.

By the end of this post - still haven't received any confirmation mail.

Ok, I see your email in the unverified box... anything yet?

As for the email sent to myself... found this in options.

Checking the box above allows emails sent from your email address to your email address into your inbox. By default, this option is disabled, and you will not recieve emails sent from your own email address. The reason for this is that it is a very common technique used by spammers.

Yes, just received. Let me verify myself.....

done.

This technique you're are referring to is called "masking" I think. But I do hope that SpamArrest looks further than just what is on the cover of a package.

Sawweeettt! Ok, I see you verified and once I saw email gone from Spam Arrest cp, it was in my inbox.

As for sending to myself... after checking the option to allow this in CP, it worked fine with maybe a 3-4 min delay.

Hey, I'll be signing up soon! Sounds like you are impressed.

Hey, your web site HostSpotlight.com looks gorgeous! Just take a note that the skyscraper ad that advertises TheHostingBoy.. well, if you visit the company's web site - they are out of business.

Best,

Thanks for the comment man. Yeah, I am impressed... got someone waiting 7+ minutes for confirm email though...

As for hostingboy... did you read their message. OUCH!

Thanks again. I'm going to grab some sleep. Wake up to a spam free inbox!

Well, congratulations on a great happy ending for you.

I, too, hope to win the war against spam in the next couple of days.

Hmmm, damn... been waiting for a verification email for 10 mins now....

hey, check out www.mailblocks.com

It is the same thing, way cheaper and allows you to have multiple accounts under the same roof.

Actually its not the same thing. You'll have to use their interface I guess, but they do allow you to use up to 50 trackers to eliminate the need to worry about receiving forms from automatically generated e-mails.

EDIT: I take it back. It is compatible with outside software like Outlook.

Damn, seems cool. I just emailed SA because 2 emails are sitting in unverified section and have yet to receive verification replies. If this is just a problem and is not normal, I think I might stick with this.

OK, let's test both services. You are in control of SA, I'll try Mailblocks and see how it goes. They offer a free 5M box, I guess I can manage accounts freely for a couple of days to see how it goes.

The good (or equally bad) part is that all unverified e-mails still go through, but are collected in the "Pending" folder.

What do you mean by "still go through"? As in come into outlook?

My goal is to be able to forget about SA at one point. basically get it so I get all 2CO, forum notices, billing management emails, etc coming in and then rest, if someone doesn't want to verify, too bad.

I'm still waiting on those verifications. Emailed their support.

I meant unverified messages (I guess all the spam as well) will go to Pending folder within Mailblocks web-mail system. You can look through this pending list like you do through Junk Folder in Hotmail and select those you want to receive and add them to whitelist.

What is your status on those two unverified e-mails?

Ok, makes more sense now that you explained it.

Still nothing actually... hmmm.

Can you send an email to [email protected] using a diff email then before and we'll see what happens?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast