need site built.

It is a pretty sizable job, there's about 20 pages - though these pages are more or less identical in many ways, so it wouldn't be like 20 completely different pages. I'm not really an expert at this - a few things I know I need and or would like are polls, forums, a flash or animated logo would be nice - someone with high visual creativity is a must. The site must stand out. I also need someone who knows the technical side of things php, css... all of those three letter words. I could go on and on about what else I need, but the images I have speak louder than the many, many words I'd have to use to make what I need sound vaguely comprehensible. I'm not a tech-head... I am looking to hire one.

I need a site designed that will be fully operational once it is handed over to me. Anyone not willing to work for $500 or under shouldn't enquire, unless they have something incredibly special going for them. I can e-mail images to those who can provide a sampling of their talent.

Um, if this is too vague - feel free to request more information. I notice a lot of page views, but still no responses... so I am wondering if this is glaringly unappealing to you all or something.

Well, Your price range may be the problem, Paying $500 for a design that stands out and php programming may be too little on some people's terms. (atleast on my terms)

It also may help you post exactly what you would like, not just a few things.

Thanks for your advice. Um, well, just for the record I'm open to using simpler methods - php programming is just something I said (though I'd like) and the animated logo isn't a must. I'm finding it hard to say exactly what I want. I mean, it isn't just a website devoted to wardrobes or something that I can say. "I want to sell wardrobes and I see such and such!" Part of the problem is I need someone who can help me fill in the blanks that I don't know.

You seem to be looking for a content management system given you want polls, forums, etc. I think I could help you here. A site I have been working on, TheLaSallian.com covers mosts of these features and a few more. I have some time on my hands and would be able to help you.

Kindly reply if you are interested.

Thank you,

S. Faruque
    Last edited by faruque; 04-15-2004 at 11:07 PM.

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    Well, Your price range may be the problem, Paying $500 for a design that stands out and php programming may be too little on some people's terms. (atleast on my terms)

It also may help you post exactly what you would like, not just a few things.
    I don't really believe that. $500 is a decent price for a site, and PHP isn't really hard to do, it just requires know-how.

S. Faruque

Thanks Faruque,

Yes, I am interested. Actually what I am doing now is trying to get my own samples online so that people can get a complete idea of what I am looking for. It'll take a while though. Please check back here tomorrow - or if you'd like me to email you directly, if you could leave an email that would be fine with me too. I don't seem to be allowed to use ANY of the functions of this site besides submitting posts - so I am handicapped as far as sending you a PM or email through the site. It appears to be an error.

I am interested though. I think if I whip up these samples it'll help everyone involved.

Thanks again.

Hi,

My email is webmaster @ deshsoft.com. You can begin sending PM posts after your 5th post.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

S. Faruque

I agree with Hosemeyer, the $500 wouldn't even cover the designers' and programmers' salary(provided that you need a professional looking site).

Even if only one freelancer does this for you, $500 it's a bit at the absolute bottom of the standard.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

I agree with Hosemeyer, the $500 wouldn't even cover the designers' and programmers' salary(provided that you need a professional looking site).

Well it depends on who's designing it. If it is someone with a long work history, massive list of credentials, a professional portfolio and reliable development times then they can demand higher salaries. I wasn't necessarily limiting myself to those people. Of course they'd snub $500 and if they can easily get twice, or even four times that, who is going to blame them? I don't.

I'm new to this site, so forgive my ignorance - previous places I have tried have developers of all experience levels - and with that comes different expectations of pay. Someone who has never built a site commercially might build one at a lower cost (compared to those with long lists of previous customers) to boost their portfolio. Though $500 won't put these people in BMW's overnight, for the right person it could be decent pay and valuable experience.

Even if only one freelancer does this for you, $500 it's a bit at the absolute bottom of the standard.

For some people just starting out, with limited to no previous work experience, that could be where they have to start. Obviously this offer won't attract everyone, but I think it is ideal for some. In a nutshell, if anyone is offended by the offer, they're not the person I'm looking for and they obviously have bigger fish to fry anyway.

Well then, I think it all comes down to the quality you're asking for...

It's like comparing Ceonex with a 15 year-old
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Originally posted by lorandm

But there are designers from India or something ... Plus children... They are working for $5 / hour.

Good luck,
    Nat

As for Indians, I agree, they can live like kings for about $100/mo

But as for children, I seriously doubt it that they can deliver quality...trust me, I've been there, and with no exceptions, to say the least, their designs were "lame"...

Sorry, but the kids don't have the long years of experience backing them up...
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

As for Indians, I agree, they can live like kings for about $100/mo
    I hope you only meant that last comment as as joke, and nothing else.

Anyways, I offered to help NTx4 mainly because I have a lot of time on my hands and nothing to do. I do have a lot of credientials and have made sites similar to NTx4 request, making it easy for me to create one based on what he is looking for.

Just my 2 cents

S. Faruque

No it's not. Give the guy a break.

I see people making comments like this, and acting as if a simple logo alone should cost $2000, referring to it as "branding" or "corporate identity". Fancy words that may still mean something to newbies in the business world, or kids who were told to use them by their art instructors, but anybody that has been around for a while knows there are plenty of good designers around who can do almost anything you want, for a fraction of what a few over-inflated egos think their services are worth.

Also, before you tell me that am I full of it, keep in mind I'm the same guy who is constantly defending designers here, and trying to keep others from crapping in sales threads. In the same way that I get sick of sales thread crapping though, I also get sick of seeing a few people try to take advantage of others by scaring them into believing that there is something inherently wrong with designers that work for reasonable amounts, instead of charging an arm and a leg. That's complete hogwash. I have worked with many of the top designers from here at WHT, yaXay, and many other forums, and if you take the time to shop around, compare, and even get to know some of them, you can get a great deal on a great product, and still afford to eat for the rest of the week.

Look at Marengo, a perfect example. She sells top notch, high quality, pre-made designs that anybody would be proud of, for hundreds of dollars, not thousands. Though yes, you will pay her more for custom work, but you get the point. You don't have to spend 5k to get a great design.

Also, a very important note: many good graphic designers can't code well at all, and others rely too much on flash. The most beautiful design in the world is not worth a dime, if it takes forever to load, or is not compatible with the major browsers, etc.

There are many factors involved in picking a design and designer, but price alone does not guarantee anything. A cheap designer doesn't necessarily do cheap quality work, and a high priced designer doesn't necessarily do high quality work. Different countries, different pay scales, different expectations, all play a part. You have to look around a bit, but there are great designers around working for fair and reasonable prices.

I'll take the kid!

As with any thread, if you don't agree with the set terms don't bother complaining. Some people would greatly appreciate the $500.

Firts of all faruque, yes, that was a joke, I hope I didn't get on anybody's nerves.

Second, Gen-T, I completely agree with you. I also had a friend a while ago, he was 14 at the time and did pretty impressive designs.

I'm not saying you're full of it, but try picturing this scenario: A SME or a rather large company is looking to get their site(s) redesigned. As they need to get reasured they're going to get quality, they're going to hire a design studio that is known for delivering that kind of quality they're looking for. Although a 15 year old could probably deliver similar quality, the SME won't hire him for the obvious reasons: he's young, so he didn't have the time to improve his skills, he's charging a fraction of the cost, so he probably isn't doing a great job for that kind of money, and so on...

Yes, this is a common misconception, because when it gets right down to the chase, they would probably notice that the kid is great and deliver. But the kid won't get the chance to prove his skills for the reasons mentioned above.

That's why I totally agree to give them a chance, but untill the mentality of the clients won't change, there isn't much chance for the young ones.

Young designers are much more flexible, have a lot of imagination and would do just about anything to get the job done according to the specifications...

Talking form experience...

Speaking of this, I would rather hire a kid and give him $500-$700, rather than giving $3000 for a company that delivers in a few months.

And speaking of "branding", "corporate identity" and other "fancy terms" you suggested, I just want to add that there's much more to branding than a logo or a design. As most of MY branding business takes place offline, I would rather say that the "digital brand management"(design) is just a small part of the entire process.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli