Thread: round robin...

round robin...

care to explain to me how do i do that for my email? i cannot afford to lost them...
    tanfwc

What? How can anyone help you if you don't describe the problem.
    ServerMatingProject.com
    The World's first server mating experiment
    We give new meaning to I/O intensive and hot swap

I don't really understand. Do you mean mirror?
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Ok. Sorry for not explaining further. What i mean is that i would like to have two server to handle the email. In case the first server is down, the second server is able to handle the outgoing and incoming mail. Thanx for poping in.
    tanfwc

Use another MX entry in your DNS. You can set the preference higher on the redundant one, so mail typically is sent to the primary server.
    Backup Mail Servers and MX Preference

In addition to specifying the mail server which should receive mail for a domain, MX records can also specify the host(s) to which mail can be delivered if the primary mail server is off-line. It is important to note at this point that in order for backup MX records to work you must have an explicit primary MX record, even if that record points to the "parent" host.

Example:

example.com. 86400 IN MX 10 example.com.
    example.com. 86400 IN MX 20 backup.example.com
    example.com. 86400 IN MX 50 mx2.mailhop.org.

When there are multiple MX records, the preference number is used to indicate in what order the mailer should attempt deliver to the MX hosts, with the lowest numbered MX being the one to try first. In the above example this would be the first one:

example.com. 86400 IN MX 10 example.com.

Notice the decimal number "10" before the host name. This is the "preference" of the MX record and the lowest possible preference value is "0". This is somewhat counter intuitive and occasionally leads to confusion in much the same way that the expression "turning down the air conditioning" does.

In the above example a remote mail server would first try to deliver to the host example.com. If this host could not be reached for some reason the remote server would then try to connect to backup.example.com and failing this it would try mx2.mailhop.org.
    ManagedWay
    Connecting people through technology
    Cloud Computing | Fiber Optic Internet | Colocation

ok...thx...then how should i recover my mail if the mail is deliever to the 2nd server and when i am recieving...the first server is online?
    tanfwc

Check both servers.

You might want to take a look at this, but it's probably much bigger than your looking for.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=259637
    ManagedWay
    Connecting people through technology
    Cloud Computing | Fiber Optic Internet | Colocation

ok...thank you veri much
    tanfwc