Thread: IE ranting....

* IE ranting....

Im sure you will all agree that IE is the worst internet browser on planet Earth ( I cant speak much for interstella browsers as ive not heard of any or used any, but one day might... ) anyways I now use mozzilla, its more secure and its more complient, plus you can personalise it with out haveing to install s*t that only ends up to mess up your computer. Also mozilla has so much extra functionality just enter a search string instead of a url and it searches it in google, very nice.

Now i have a few things to say to website designers: if your website dont look nice or dont work in mozzilla then im not going to bother installing IE again just to view it, so get the codeing right!

I guess thats about all... ahhh i feel better now
    I freelance

Phew... glad you got that off your chest. haha.
    -- Matthew

http://googlebar.mozdev.org

mozilla firefox / firebird comes with a little google search box by default.

Re: IE ranting....

Originally posted by carbon12
    Now i have a few things to say to website designers: if your website dont look nice or dont work in mozzilla then im not going to bother installing IE again just to view it, so get the codeing right!
    Sure but 95% of the browsing public won't have any problems (OK I do agree with you on the point of coding standards though!)

I don't believe IE is the worst browser on the earth. IE4 and 5 were light years ahead of any competitors at it's time. They simply seem to have stopped innovating and let bad bugs in. I for one have never had any spyware or hi-jacking junk install on my IE so that is no reason to blame it... it's simply that people are stupid and click on lots of activex installation boxes. IE still has some things that Mozilla can't do and really ought to!

Mozilla is catching up though in terms of what it can do, which can only help. Hopefully my having a Mozilla that works like IE but better, it will get a larger market share again, which in turn will force Microsoft to improve IE.

Thank goodness there is a pop-up blocker in the new version of IE though!

Re: Re: IE ranting....

Originally posted by Rich2k
    Sure but 95% of the browsing public won't have any problems (OK I do agree with you on the point of coding standards though!)

I don't believe IE is the worst browser on the earth. IE4 and 5 were light years ahead of any competitors at it's time. They simply seem to have stopped innovating and let bad bugs in. I for one have never had any spyware or hi-jacking junk install on my IE so that is no reason to blame it... it's simply that people are stupid and click on lots of activex installation boxes. IE still has some things that Mozilla can't do and really ought to!

Mozilla is catching up though in terms of what it can do, which can only help. Hopefully my having a Mozilla that works like IE but better, it will get a larger market share again, which in turn will force Microsoft to improve IE.

Thank goodness there is a pop-up blocker in the new version of IE though!
    Hmmm... well i switched to mozilla a while back because of the popup blocking functions. On my main computer I have activeX controlls blocked, and security all on max, so those pop up boxes asking you if you want to install something, dont appear, not even for installing the flash or shockwave things. But still that computer got infected and it took me six days to clean it :/

At least now if i do pick up any keyloggers the three hardware firewalls I have will stop them from negotiating with the outside world....
    I freelance

Re: Re: Re: IE ranting....

Originally posted by carbon12
    Hmmm... well i switched to mozilla a while back because of the popup blocking functions. On my main computer I have activeX controlls blocked, and security all on max, so those pop up boxes asking you if you want to install something, dont appear, not even for installing the flash or shockwave things. But still that computer got infected and it took me six days to clean it :/

At least now if i do pick up any keyloggers the three hardware firewalls I have will stop them from negotiating with the outside world....
    Still never had any spyware on my machine and I do check regularly with ad-aware and I use IE's security on standard.

Originally posted by ub3r
    [
    mozilla firefox / firebird comes with a little google search box by default.

bingo

still i has become to dislike IE, to begin with i just used mozilla for a change, and I found the extra features handy... plus i like the way that the IRC client is written in JS, so its easy for me to change, which i have done But now that I use mozilla as standard I code for mozilla, while testing in IE to make sure it looks like it should in both. But now the one problem I have found is with IE tables that are correctly coded and that should look right, are missing background images, and are all over the place, and that annoying bug where with the form tag, every time I include a form IE includes a line break afterwards which totaly messes up the page... ive used js to counter the last bug but for the first one, its takeing me a while... i remember fixing it in the past.

I created a website for a section of my school and in the memo I sent this:

"This website is optimised for Mozzilla, so stop useing the mucked up pile of junk, waste of space that is IE and change to a better, more complient, less buggy, more secure browser.... NOW! "

Even though the website looked like it should in IE, they changed the entire school over to mozilla lol... and I had only sent it as a joke... :/ I guess the word secure sold them, because they have already got over 100 viruses, trojans, keyloggers, dialers, etc though IE... also I have managed to get them to convert to apples in the english department... ohhh yeah! And linux in DT... and as of yet they have been able to just plug and play with networking and stuff... while with Windows they would have spent hours weining the bugs out of just one computer :|
    I freelance

I have stopped using IE quite a while ago. Although, I do have problems with some sites on Firefox. It doesn't seem to handle cookies like IE does. Everytime I visit http://www.soccernet.com/, I have to take that silly survey everytime, don't have to do this when I'm on IE. Whenever I log in to my Google AdSense account, it takes me back to the main login page when I click on a link. The Downloads folder is laggy as hell, too.

I prefer Opera. It is as good as mozilla, but has better features and works faster. And of course IE is last choice that i use only to test my designs.

Neh, IE works fine for me. Any security issues are auto-updated as the come out. Anything else, McAfee catches (java trogans). It's a comfortable browser and I know what it does. It works and comes with my OS.

Back in the day I swore by Communicator but Netscape dropped the ball big time after that release. Moz (in my opinion) has just been playing catchup ever since.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Mozilla can't have been playing catchup - netscape used the mozilla rendering engine!
    Gone.

I'm a fan of Internet Explorer... I've tried practically everything else. I guess I'm just used to IE after using it for many many years, everything else just seems... worse.

Originally posted by phision.com
    Mozilla can't have been playing catchup - netscape used the mozilla rendering engine!
    Yeah I know that. Moz = Netscape. *They* have been playing catchup ever since Communicator.

.. and yes I know they're a different beast (or should I say Gecko) from each other nowdays.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Since Netscape 4 (and when it then became Mozilla) they have been playing catchup. IE 4 was a revolution in browser terms and it was many years before any other browser came close to IE. Mozilla, Safari and Opera now are pretty much at the same level as IE (in some respects better and in some others worse). The problem is that IE now has 95% market share, how do you convince non-techies to switch.

Personally I use IE on a PC and Safari on my Mac

Safari is nice - apple has pumped a lot of money into the KHTML rendering engine.

I still prefer gecko, and when they fix the critical bugs in the nightly builds of Camino, i will swich (50% CPU usage when idle bug hits hard)
    Gone.

Actually I've been using FireFox on my mac (as a second to Safari). Didn't see the point in Mozilla having two mac browsers.