Scriptlance.com PLEASE READ

Hey,
    I do freelance work at scriptlance, and have an issue and was wondering what you guys think can/I should do.

I recently had a job that I won for the sum of $3750 for a certain script. The agreement was for 50% of viewing a demo and 50% after he recieves and verifies it.

Everything seemed to go fine, yesterday he sent me the first 50% ($1875) via SCRIPTLANCE's payment system (not escrow, real payment, as in I could of withdrawn it into paypal or any other method if I had wanted to once I recieved it).

This is the email I recieved:
    This message has been sent automatically by the ScriptLance.com system. If you need to contact us, go to http://www.scriptlance.com/contact.shtml
    --------------------------------------------------

The Webmaster **** has just paid you $1875! The money has been added to your account.
    I blocked out his account name as not to reveal who he is.
    Anyways, I send him the script, and then about 40 minutes after I sent it to him yesterday, I get another email saying:

This message has been sent automatically by the ScriptLance.com system. If you need to contact us, go to http://www.scriptlance.com/contact.shtml
    --------------------------------------------------

The Webmaster **** has just paid you $381! The money has been added to your account.
    So I wonder hmm he only sent $381 instead of the whole 50%, so I email him back.
    Today when I got home, I got an email from scriptlance saying:
    The funds you received from the user **** have been reversed due to fraudulent credit card use. It's possible it's a mistake, in that case tell them to contact me to resolve this.

-Rene
    And I get on my scriptlance account and of course find that they have subtracted the amount of money that I previously recieved.

Now, my question is this:
    Shouldn't scriptlance of verified the money was legit before even having it enter their system?
    Thus, isnt it their mistake and thus they should provide me the money, because all my hard work has just gone to waste.
    I believe that it was their fault they didnt check if it was legit beforehand, and thus they should provide me compensation.

Please let me know what everyone thinks.
    Thank you,
    Feras

I agree that scriptlance is at fault here. I take it that scriptlance takes a cut between the developer and the client? If they are providing this service and being paid for it, you'd hope they'd be able to at least verify accounts for customers wishing to purchase $1,000 + programs.

How much time took place between - receive payment #1, send code, receive payment #2?
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

I agree, scriptlance should cover your costs in a sense that you are paying for they networking solutions which includes a payment solution (in some sense) between you and your client.

If scriptlance was a free service then I wouldnt be saying this.

Anyone out there, the best thing to do when you are dealing with large sums is to ask for a check to be written / western union / some safe method of payment so this wont happen to you.

Im not attacking scriptlance, I am just stating the obvious.

If you find that the user is using your script (which I'm sure you will), the most harm you could do to him (as repayment for scamming you), would be to release that script publicly. I know it sounds silly, but why let him get away with a custom programming job that was worth nearly $4000? Just my suggestion, it's probably what I would do if there was no other way to get back at the guy.

Yea, scriptlance takes either $5 or 5% of the payment to me, in other words they took almost $200 for this job.
    When they took back the payment the guy sent me, they also gave me back the $200 that they charged though.
    Anyone have any ideas on how to handle this situation with scriptlance to get money back or partial money?

oh also, I forgot to mention that the first 50% payment and me sending him the files all took place yesterday, then today scriptlance took back the money.

Wouldn't all of this be covered in the agreement between you and scriptlance (that you agreed to when you used their site) ??? Is there nothing about fraud, specifically pertaining to fraudulent credit card payments. They aren't going to make anything if the card is bogus, but who is responsible for verification of the payment and what happens after that (if the payment is found to be bogus) should be covered somewhere, one would think.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

wait, I dont get what you're saying exactly

Chicken is right (as always I might add). Read the agreement that you agreed to when you signed-up with them and see where you stand legally.

Also, the guys email is:
    andrei.raileanu@post.ro
    I cant find anything about it, what about yall?

Yes, it is their fault

Feras,

Absolutely, it is their fault. Why are they in this business then if they cant secure the money they get from buyers, let alone yours.
    look here, see what rentacoder.com's owner has to say about these type of rip offs:

https://www.rentacoder.com/RentACode...fy/default.asp

scriptlance

Doesnt slance provide a escrow service? this is a must for this type of business. Where are they located? put an attonrney on their back if you can.... seems like the guy is in Romania using a free email provider. That country has high rate of internet fraud activity.

In case you are interested, good to know if you are dealing with these countries:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chart_foreignfraud5.jpg  

hmm interesting link.
    Yes, they do have an escrow service, but that wasnt used.
    Hmm, can anyone please type up what they think would be a good email to send to scriptlance basically stating that I Believe I should recieve the money, and if I dont then ill have an attorney on them?
    If so, it will help, as to give me ideas on how to modify what I got

Can anyone post me an example letter to modify to send to scriptlance?