Thread: Search Engines

Search Engines

My site is getting a decent number of hits, but when checking the stats I find that I'm getting nothing from search engines. I've manually submitted my site into all the major search engines, and they are getting listed... eventually. According to alexa I'm in over 50 search engines, yet all my traffic is from my own advertising. Can anyone provide info or links on how to gain more traffic from search engines? I've seen a few techniques that don't seem to work for me.

Thanks.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

Manually submitting to search engines offers and guarantees nothing in terms of ranking.

And to get good traffic from search engines, you really need the rankings.

Most advice on SEO given in forums talks about manipulating on-page elements - title tag, header tags, text, etc. Yes, they can help - a little - but so far as I'm concerned, Google has specifically skewed the rankings so that it's much harder to rank for on-site elements unless you're already a very established site.

If you really want to rank for anything particular in the search engines then you almost certainly need to purchase professional SEO services which are firmly based in link building for you. Anything without link-building is - IMO - a complete waste of money. Certainly if you're talking about commercial terms in a commerical environment.

Triple Story Cardboard Box in the land down under
    Google is the search engine you should be targeting. Google has recently changed their algorithm and the weighting for on site elements has been reduced.

The most integral part of SEO is getting links from quality sites related to yours.
    Web Hosting Jury - over 4000 hosting USER reviews
    Love Your Host? Hate Your Host? - Submit a review

Originally posted by webhostingj
    The most integral part of SEO is getting links from quality sites related to yours.
    Easier said than done. I guess slapping my link in every free webhost listing as I have been doing is probably the best bet.

Thanks for the advice.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

also you can try to use submiting programes

also you can try to use submiting programes\
    In my opinion this is pretty useless for the following reasons:

- Major search engines use bots to crawl your site regardless of being submitted
    - If your site is not properly optimized to suit the search engines you are targeting, you will see little benefit.

Originally posted by spiderweb
    In my opinion this is pretty useless for the following reasons:

- Major search engines use bots to crawl your site regardless of being submitted
    - If your site is not properly optimized to suit the search engines you are targeting, you will see little benefit.
    True True, i've tried submitting programs before and they gave NO benifit at all! Totally a waste of money.
    Last edited by jheslop1; 04-17-2004 at 10:36 AM.
    John Heslop

Get links from sites that are already spidered and you won't need to submit as the search engines will index your website by following those links. Submit to directories though.

Check out http://highrankings.com/forum and read a lot of what's being already posted there.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Amdac
    Easier said than done.
    That's why we SEO's exist. We tend to think more creatively, simply because we have to.

Other forums of note for SEO issues include:

http://www.webworkshop.net/seoforum/index.php

http://www.internet-marketing-resear...rums/index.php

and of course,

http://www.webmasterworld.com/