Transfer over 300+ accounts from cpanel to cpanel help

I've used the WHM transfer accounts from server to server but had a nightmare when alot of the accounts transfer add-on domains and sub-domains stop working.

Does anyone know of a script that utilizes /scripts/pkgacct username that can run and create all of them and then I can download all of the backups or the script will send to the other server?

Of course I could do /scripts/pkgacct username but I need this done in the next 24 hours and won't have time to do each one individually.

Your help is very appreciated.

I moved 800 accounts and I had a similar problem.
    The addons and parked domains remained pointing to the old server.
    I had to delete one by one and recreate all the parked an addons, because I didīt find any scripts to fix.

We do something like the following. From the shell

for a in /home* ; do
    cd $a
    for i in * ; do

/scripts/pkgacct $i

done
    done

This will just step through every user and make the pkgacct

The you can use something similar to restore them

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Rus,

Are you saying running this in shell:

/scripts/pkgacct $i

Will create the cpbackup files for all accounts or just the ones starting with I?

You need to do it in the for loop as that will make $i become every user name. You could also do

cut -d\: -f1 /etc/passwd | while read account ; do /scripts/pkgacct $account ; done

Basic simple shell script

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

this will mess things up which will read system users.

try for accounts in `ls /var/cpanel/users` ; do /scripts/pkgacct $accounts ; done

this will create cpmove-login.tar.gz in /home for all logins where u can move them to the second server into /home then /scripts/restorepkg $LOGIN

replace $LOGIN with the login u want to restore

to automate the restoration put a text file in /home/list.txt including all accounts names something like ls /var/cpanel/users > /home/list.txt (on the old account) and move it to the new account and do
    for accounts in `cat /home/list.txt`; do /scripts/restorepkg $accounts ; done

make your self cup of tea and wait
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Wait... are you saying you already did the move? Addon domains have nothing to do with rebatching them again for a download. This will only duplicate the problem. The problem consists in the httpd.conf file and I can point you right to the problem. All it takes is about 20 minutes to learn the technique and you can fix the problem and avoid transfering everything over again... that is just a mess and, again, will result in the same results.

Contact me at admin@ecphosting.net for more information.

My solution

I had similar problem in the past.

All I did to solve this problem was to update all zone files on the new server that had the old server IP in them.

It was just a simple script I wrote, it looked up all zone files (*.db) in the /var/named directory, looked for any with old server IP addresses in them and then replaced them with new server IP address - worked fine for me.

I wouldn't re-add domains manually from Cpanel - I had a client try to do this and it stuffed up his sites - I had to edit httpd.conf to remove what he did.
    Last edited by illum; 04-16-2004 at 06:58 AM.

Originally posted by EcpHosting
    Wait... are you saying you already did the move? Addon domains have nothing to do with rebatching them again for a download. This will only duplicate the problem. The problem consists in the httpd.conf file and I can point you right to the problem. All it takes is about 20 minutes to learn the technique and you can fix the problem and avoid transfering everything over again... that is just a mess and, again, will result in the same results.

Contact me at admin@ecphosting.net for more information.
    Hey Bud,

I haven't moved them yet. Basically this is the mess I have.

I took 3 servers and combined them into one xeon server. I switch to a new datacenter taking the word from a friend and it has been a nightmare. Server connection is crap and other issues arose.

I now have a xeon at The Planet and need to move the 300 clients from the old xeon to the new xeon. When I first moved all the clients from all 3 servers to one, I used WHM move script and had serveral issues with missing SQL databases and add-ons not working.

What I need now is a way to move the clients backups from one server to the other and have the minimum amount of troubles.

It looks like since I have backups on a backup drive I can do ths and move all content within the backup drive to the home folder on the new server?

scp -r user@remote-computer:/home /backup

From what I understand of SCP that will move all accounts from the backup folder on the old server to the /home folder on the new server.

Is that correct?

you will miss so many required configuration files located in /var/cpanel /etc etc..

unless u move home dirs then delete home dirs and move accounts from WHM which will make it smaller to move.
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

I'm not concern about server config files. Just accounts. The new server has already been config.

I had the nightmare too it, it setup the VirtualHost entry partially since you create a sub-domain when you create an add-on domain, however the restore did not add

ServerAlias real-addon-domain.com www.real-addon-domain.com

Boy that was fun! I email Nick about it in '03 and he said it was fixed, but not been able to test it yet.
    MattF - Since the start..

Well I guess we will see if Nick fixed it very soon.

Originally posted by MattF
    I had the nightmare too it, it setup the VirtualHost entry partially since you create a sub-domain when you create an add-on domain, however the restore did not add

ServerAlias real-addon-domain.com www.real-addon-domain.com

Boy that was fun! I email Nick about it in '03 and he said it was fixed, but not been able to test it yet.
    This problem does appear fixed. I told Nick about it a while back as well and it was news to him at that point!
    H4Y Technologies LLC .. Since 2001!!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us** **http://iwfhosting.net**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** askus at host4yourself d0t com

you mean moving accounts does not add the addon domains to httpd.conf ?!

It did miss the ServerAlias realdomain.com for the VirtualHost container, add-on domains are just sub-domains with the added directive, so they were only resetup as subdomains.
    MattF - Since the start..

Originally posted by MattF
    It did miss the ServerAlias realdomain.com for the VirtualHost container, add-on domains are just sub-domains with the added directive, so they were only resetup as subdomains.
    I said that this was fixed a few posts back and actually I am not sure if this is fixed yet. Thinking back, the problem I had was actually changing IPs on accounts with add-on domains through WHM. It would do exactly the same thing with missing the server aliases for the subdomain virtualhost entries. I have not transferred accounts with add-on domains since then but I do think Nick fixed the change IP problem, which was obviously very similar.

I did, however, transfer many accounts w/ lots of parked domains without a problem. Previously, WHM seemed to be unable to update the DNS entries for parked domains - at least the few times I've done it. That is why I have come up with a couple scripts that can go through and change DNS entries as easily as possible.

Moral of the story: if you are transferring 300 domains with WHM, expect a few problems, but usually it does not take much time to work out. Just come up with a collection of "fix the cPanel bugs" scripts like I have
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

Originally posted by John[H4Y]
    Just come up with a collection of "fix the cPanel bugs" scripts like I have
    How much for it? lol...

Well this is what I'm currently doing and seem to be going ok so far.

- make full backups.

- scp -r /backup/cpbackup/monthly root@11.11.111.11:/backup/cpbackup/monthly

Once that is done, then I'll restore from WHM and see how it goes.

good luck

Originally posted by eMax
    How much for it? lol...

Well this is what I'm currently doing and seem to be going ok so far.

- make full backups.

- scp -r /backup/cpbackup/monthly root@11.11.111.11:/backup/cpbackup/monthly

Once that is done, then I'll restore from WHM and see how it goes.
    Yes I have done that before also and it worked out without too many problems. Have fun!