Thread: burst/nocster

burst/nocster

I am in need of fast single processor or a dual xeon box and am considering nocster/burst or one of their resellers as they have really cheap prices on these but I am very worried about their network. I have heard and seen several post of their network being down, but my server must have a good uptime. My biggest problem is for 99% of the time my box could run on a 2ghz celeron no problem but once an hr a program I run updates the database for 30,000 records causing serious cpu usage and I have to have something with very nice specs to handle this issue as quickly as possible. I would only be using like 100gigs a month but my overall question is how stable is burst and how much would you be willing to rely on it if you needed a stable box?

Also if you have a suggestion for an alternative Im open to ideas.

Lately there have been some posts about Burst being much more stable than it has been. This is only recently, however, and may not be true for the long term.

They might be worth a try at the moment, however, to see how well the perform when they are having "good times," and they are cheap enough to not break the bank.

Good luck!
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

ya I saw the post but I cant have something that will rock this month and be down all of next :/ overexaggeration I know but the point is there.

Every DC will have its problems because this is not a perfect world. Just decide whats right for you and what your budget allows. Its a tricky industry sometimes the most exspensive company will let you down, and sometimes the cheapest co out there will surprise you. Really it all comes down to what your needs are.

Good luck in your search.

I will agree to every dc having its problems but some obviously have them more often then others and it seems I see burst up there quite often :/

Haven't see many problems since their last major outage when they had problems with their carrier. I ordered my first server with them exactly on the day of the outage, and was thinking hard about my decision and if I should cancel, but then thought I'd give them a try and their network has been good so far. Has been like, what, 45 days since or so.

Its the same with us we considered dropping our boxes at Burst throughout the major problem they had a while back - but we sat it out and they have been running fine since. I think we must have had very close to 100% uptime - i dont think ive even needed to contact them once since.

was very happy with the decision to sit it out.

that may be related to them upgrading all their lines from FE to Gig-E lines... which probably lead to a much more stable network
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

I agree thats a good thing just hoping its not an often downtime but from the reviews I think I will give them a try and make this my first time trying this company personnally

0 Downtime since last Major outage. Infact i m getting most of my old clients back to me.

I did had a detail chat with one of there tech and then they ve explained what measures they have took to prevent outbound dos attack. And you folks may get surprise to know that most of the time nocster by initial installation does secure tmp and other partitions.

Got a box 2 weeks ago with them, 100% uptime since
    hm what should I put in my sig?

Burst record is like the economy or stock market. There's bears and bull. So far the have peaks and lows. Personally we wouldn't consider such a record a good one to go with.

Similarly just like the stock market, past performance is not necessarily an indication of future performance (or lack of). Just note that you may be burdening your businesses with higher risks...
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••