Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with 1GB RAM

Is this a good server for "starting" game servers?

well not bad but really depens on which game(s) you want to host. It is a OK specs for 8 quake engine based 24 clinets gameserver.

Sure why not, There's always room for another GSP..

I'm planning to host all kind of games. Specially HL based ones. I got told that it would support around 3 - 4 20 man HL server

I didnt setup any hl engined game yet so I cant say anyhitng about that maybe X-gaming can help I guess he host CS. The server specs you gave can easily host q3, Cod , Ja , jk2 ,RTCW ,ET mixed 8 of them and you can still throw few teamspeak or ventrilo servers.

Originally posted by DeltaGaming
    I didnt setup any hl engined game yet so I cant say anyhitng about that maybe X-gaming can help I guess he host CS. The server specs you gave can easily host q3, Cod , Ja , jk2 ,RTCW ,ET mixed 8 of them and you can still throw few teamspeak or ventrilo servers.
    It appears you have the answers already.

For CS / CZ servers you can get 80 slots no problem. 60 is perfered.

These are the great servers I play on that can't keep up with 100cmd rates and take 30 minutes to change maps. Just what everyone wants...

Try starting off with Dual Operons, SCSI drives (for anything other than HL) and MINIMUM 2GB of RAM with dual PSs and NICs on Internap or another well blended connection. If you don' thave that kind of capital you are wasting your time.
    --Andrew
    http://andrewloe.com/

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    It appears you have the answers already.
    Only for quake engine based games I dunno sh1t about cs-cz

Originally posted by Snoozy
    These are the great servers I play on that can't keep up with 100cmd rates and take 30 minutes to change maps. Just what everyone wants...

Try starting off with Dual Operons, SCSI drives (for anything other than HL) and MINIMUM 2GB of RAM with dual PSs and NICs on Internap or another well blended connection. If you don' thave that kind of capital you are wasting your time.

Thats the problem.. Everyone thinks they can go rent a rackshack or SM server and start a game serving company.. It may work ok for a little while but after the outages and bad ping spikes happen a few times and you lose customers you will understand why they only charge $99 per month for that machine and network.

Just look at what the succesful guys are using and you will get your answer.

Also + if you want to run a cs:cz server without any lag or slowness. You should only host 50slots MAX on this server. Also only 50slots WITH cPanel.

I'd say 2 20 slot publics would fill that server. I used a P4 3.0 + 1 GB RAM from 1and1 and struggled to fit a 20 man and a 16 man. But it was also running plesk. You may not need dual opterons but dual xeons are preferred for gaming. Also you do need at least 2 GB RAM with abilities to upgrade to 4 sooner or later. Also if you cannot use SCSI HD's, try and get at least dual HD's and have the servers share the HD's. So if you wanted to run 4 game servers put 2 on 1 HD and 2 on the other. Also do not go with a budget host. I'd reccomend owning your own equipment and colocating. Do not colo at a place like HE, but look more towards places that offer Peer1, Verio, Level 3, Internap etc.. And as X-Gaming said, if you can't afford things like this don't bother because you'll be out of business before you even get enough customers to fill the server...

I see a lot of gaming companies setting up in Europe, and I can honestly say that I have never seen one that hasn't started with Dual/Quad CPU Based machines.

Unless your just wanting a small time company which trickles along nicely making a little bit of profit/pocket money to allow you to gain experience and knowledge (nothing wrong with that, despite what people might tell you); then you should be looking to spend a little more on the stuff that will effectively make or break your company.
    Adam Harris
    Technical Director, XOMY Limited
    XOMY LCD and Plasma Televisions :: XOMAC Apple Macs