cheap cogent bandwidth

Hi,

I need to find some cheap cogent BW for offsite backups. I need either a cheap low end dedicated server (p3 1ghz, 256 ram is more than enough), or I can send my 1U celeron 1.7ghz on over.

I would prefer either unmetered or a 10 mbps capped line. I wont transfer a ton of data but it has to be reliable.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Check out cari.net , they use Cogent for their "single provider" services.

Level 3 bandwidth

Hey I have got a box @ www.coloquest.com they have some good 5 and 10 MB connections check them out they may have what you want.

If you're using incoming only, I would give it to you for free
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

I have a server at coloquest also. They have unmetered 10mbit plans with level3 as primary bandwidth (also have cogent as backup and I believe they are adding a few new providers in the coming months). The best part is that it's using a major provider instead of cogent (not that cogent isn't major..) and it seems at least from my point of view that it isn't oversold . The only other place I have servers at is servercentral and it's not unmetered so I can't really say that i've tried anywhere else for an unmetered server.. Just adding my 2 cents

I have heard many bad things about cogent bandwidth. That is why many companies advertise that the bandwidth they use is cogent free.

Originally posted by liquidjoel
    I have heard many bad things about cogent bandwidth. That is why many companies advertise that the bandwidth they use is cogent free.
    I'd rather use a Williams free host than a Cogent free host - In my experience, WCG isn't always the best especially when it comes to overloaded peering points and routes that are designed on what's most affordable for them, and not the quickest path to a location. Cogent isn't bad at all when thrown into a BGP mix.

-Josh

In my experience, WCG isn't always the best especially when it comes to overloaded peering points and routes that are designed on what's most affordable for them, and not the quickest path to a location.
    That was about 8-12 months ago. Wiltel now has purchased a lot of paid transit to others.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Originally posted by RackMy.com
    That was about 8-12 months ago. Wiltel now has purchased a lot of paid transit to others.
    In late '03 we ran a Yipes/WilTel circuit for a few months, BGPd with transit that cost more (and should be performed better) and we had actually had several people comment that our network was faster than ever. I have heard a lot of bad things about WilTel, but my actual experience with them was very positive, albiet limited in time.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Originally posted by liquidjoel
    The reason that hosting companies advertise "cogent-free bandwidth" is that many start-up hosts who buy from Cogent don't have the clue or the will to do proper capacity planning, so their network becomes congested as they grow. Webmasters don't know the difference between a hosting company blaming Cogent when really it's their FastEthernet uplink port going 100% much of the day, and a legitimate upstream congestion issue.

"Cogent-free hosts," on the other hand, want to badmouth Cogent because so many folks think using Cogent is intrinsically bad from the start, that they have an automatic advantage over their competitors. This doesn't necessarily put the hosting company in the ranks of Joe McCarthy, but it is a part of the problem; however I find it hard to fault folks who advertise Cogent-free service as it's smart marketing these days.

So many failed and should-be failed hosts went through the oversell, lose customers, blame vendor process that you see posts like yours on WHT. If you were a customer of Cogent yourself, you'd most likely be very pleased with the service and find it to be a good buy overall; however most webmasters are too small to buy a FastEthernet port from Cogent for their servers or shared-hosting sites, thus they have no direct experience to rely on.

Anyway, I'm done ranting on Cogent for today. If you'd like a bit more technical detail, just look up my previous posts on the subject.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches