Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do You Wish You Had This Problem?

Thought this was interesting. This is from the owner of a major hosting provider (posted Jan 28th on their site forum). I've removed the name to assure I'm not accused of advertising. Just goes to show you what good customer service and reputation can bring you as far as "problems".

==========================

Hello,

Until further notice xxxxxxxxx has suspended accepting new clients.

This sales stopage is in effect for all virtual and reseller services.

Why do you ask?

Mainly we have simply grown too fast this month and have not been able to build servers fast enough to keep up with demand. I refuse to over sell our servers, so we have no other choice but to stop taking new orders.

However, with this huge growth spurt I want to allow my staff a couple days to catch up with any outstanding issues this new growth may have caused.

The customer is always first. If we oversell our services and or servers we would not be everyones favorite hosting company for long.

I am thinking we will resume taking orders in a few days, but I promise nothing at this point.

Thank you to all our new customers for making January 2004 our best month EVER!

===========end quote================
      0 Not allowed!

That's what they get for providing good hosting and people telling others about it . I always like to hear about companies that are more concerned with providing a quality service to their existing customers and not just squeeze as much money out of the consumers as possible.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.
      0 Not allowed!

Impressive - instead of sacrificing quality for quantity - this host did things properly.

Good business ethics.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz
      0 Not allowed!

very good business ethics. and good for advertising too if people have done the same thing as you.
      0 Not allowed!

nice and honest .
      0 Not allowed!

Maybe they have no money for new servers?
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Yea, exactly. But hard to tell without knowing who it is. If we did and then found out that they rented servers at a data center......
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.
      0 Not allowed!

If it is the truth, it's a commendable attitude. If it's just a cover-up, then they're the only ones that really know what happened... Until the info leaks that is...
      0 Not allowed!

We've already had this duscussion in the reseller forums i believe.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years
      0 Not allowed!

How long does it take to build a server? I understand getting hardware might take a few days but come on. If it isnt a money thing then someone is not doing their job. Not being able to sign up customers because you dont have servers ready is a little lame.
      0 Not allowed!

So you just naturally assumed it was only a hardware problem. For all we know they could be trying to get some more staff to handle the extra workload. It's too early for us to really know anything. In the announcement he also makes reference to staff needing to catchup.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?
      0 Not allowed!

Google is great: http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/fo...showtopic=7242

It appears they've gotten a pretty good number of clients. I recently got a spike in my own business just this past day, but nothing where I would have to shut down. It would have to be a LOT of customers to do that. I have servers standing by for either that purpose or larger customers that need a more spacious setup, in terms of resources. Always best to be prepared
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>
      0 Not allowed!

They stopped accepting orders for 36 hours......wow.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.
      0 Not allowed!

Somebody always has a negative thing to say, no matter how positive the actual subject is. This is me, then

Maybe they should be looking into their growth rate, and then order servers and get them online and configured for when the prospective client wants to order their services.

To me personally, it would seem as though some management skills are lacking within this organisation.

Kevin
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Maybe they have no money for new servers?
    Havent you done this before? LOL. I seem to remember reading that you were not taking signups once or twice before. LOL.
    -- Matthew
      0 Not allowed!

Actually, that is one of the OLDEST sales tricks known in this industry.

It creates a buzz, and gives off an aura of mass-growth and stability. This obviously instills somewhat of a calming state of mind to the customer. If XX number of people signed up just recently, and all servers are full at this time... they must be a good company, right?

It's also a classic customer-retention idea. Just look at the classic responses from customers. Somehow the owner switching off signup has suddenly made them think they are the god of all hosting companies. The quotes themselves say it all. One guy says "Now I know beyond a shadow of any doubt that I am at the right hosting company!" Closing down new sales makes this guy "know" he's NOW made the right choice? Ahh touche TotalChoice.

The trick is as old as the "sales ends @ 11:59pm" trick that the likes of HostRocket, and Dot5 use. The sale never expires, but it creates an urgency in the customer's mind, and they normally make an "on the spot" decision.

Simon
    Last edited by IHSL; 04-15-2004 at 02:29 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I really do agree that negative things always comes out from the mind even how good the issue might be.

I think whether they have no money to get new server, lack of staff or whatsoever reason behind this. They are still doing the right thing. The existing customers did not complain and also at least they did not go and get more customers to mess up their business "even further".

I wouldn't say I don't have doubts about whether it is a sales technique. However, it is more important for the end-user to experience their support in general to find out their professionalism.

My opinion though.
      0 Not allowed!

The company in question is TotalChoice Hosting, however since this has come up I though it would be best to address this post.

One of the reasons TCH stopped taking new orders was to allow us time to bring on new staff. Pretty pointless bringing on new customers if we can not support them.

Not to sure about other hosts here, but we have found that bringing on 3,000 new clients in one month tends to increase workload for our staff members. Thus the halt in sales.

We host 25,000 domains and always have spare servers ready to deploy. However, at that point in time we had chewed thru our server stock and were down to emergency stock servers. These being servers used only when a emergency occurs.
    Last edited by TotalChoice - Bill; 04-15-2004 at 04:17 PM.
    Bill Kish
    TotalChoice Hosting
    Hosting over 50,000 clients since 2000
    http://www.totalchoicehosting.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by TotalChoice
    The company in question is TotalChoice Hosting, however since this has come up I though it would be best to address this post.

One of the reasons TCH stopped taking new orders was to allow us time to bring on new staff. Pretty pointless bringing on new customers if we can not support them.

Not to sure about other hosts here, but we have found that bringing on 3,000 new clients in one month tends to increase workload for our staff members. Thus the halt in sales.

We host 25,000 domains and always have spare servers ready to deploy. However, at that point in time we had chewed thru our server stock and were down to emergency stock servers. These being servers used only when a emergency occurs.
    What can I say, a man so true to his word... Keep it up Bill/Adnan you are surely setting high standard for others to follow.
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"
      0 Not allowed!

Greetings:

While we provide our own hosting, if I was a customer... and was told that the server is full, no new sales... it *** would not *** be a customer retention tactic.

Gee... I'm on a full server. I wonder how many sardines they packed along side of me (yet another sardine).

I wonder how stable the servers going to be now... they are probably overselling, and seeing how much they can cram on the server...

Gee... they didn't plan properly... maybe they are having financial problems that they could not have a server ready and waiting for new customers.

Wow... maybe they don't know what they are doing... Boy, did I pick the wrong company. Sigh.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

While we provide our own hosting, if I was a customer... and was told that the server is full, no new sales... it *** would not *** be a customer retention tactic.

Gee... I'm on a full server. I wonder how many sardines they packed along side of me (yet another sardine).

I wonder how stable the servers going to be now... they are probably overselling, and seeing how much they can cram on the server...

Gee... they didn't plan properly... maybe they are having financial problems that they could not have a server ready and waiting for new customers.

Wow... maybe they don't know what they are doing... Boy, did I pick the wrong company. Sigh.

Thank you.
    Actually, you're speaking from a point that the customer is veteran.

Think how many sales some of the giant-oversellers would get, if everyone knew how the hosting industry actually works.

Tell the Average Joe on the street that 100GB for under 5 bucks, is probably going to land him in trouble, he'll look at youwith the blankest of all blank looks.

If TCH say it was simply a case of them almost doubling the total all past sales, inside of one single month, then i'd dare to say that it probably was just bad planning, and not a sales technique, as it looks to be from the outside.

Simon
      0 Not allowed!

Greetings:

Thank you.
    So you think the same when EV1 is out of servers? makes me wonder why you continue to use them...

There is a difference in having awesome growth and being truthful to clients than whatever you was trying to say which contradicts yourself as you continue to use EV1 as a provider.
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

0 Not allowed!

Greetings:

"So you think the same when EV1 is out of servers? makes me wonder why you continue to use them..."

Our servers are co-located. So I am not sure where the above statement is applicable.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile
      0 Not allowed!

Greetings:

"So you think the same when EV1 is out of servers? makes me wonder why you continue to use them..."

Our servers are co-located. So I am not sure where the above statement is applicable.

Thank you.
    So you dont have any servers at EV1? I recall posts from yourself on EV1 forums about servers you have with them.
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

0 Not allowed!

Greetings:

"Had" is the operative word, not "have" <smile>.

We had one server with them for testing purposes for a period of several months.

===

In any event, while I agree the veteran will think differently than the newbie, eventually when the newbie gets burned enough they will (should they still be around) think like a veteran.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast