Thread: online storage

online storage

hello,

i would like the students in our photography department to have access to digital storage on the college website. however i do not know the best software to complete this task. if you could recommend software that could allow students to acccess their work via ftp it would be great

cheers

What about internet explorer? It has a built in FTP program already. Does the college website offer a way to set up FTP users?

try FTP, if no go, then ask someone here to make you a script to do it

ive read my original post and i dont think i said what i rwally meant. ill start again. i am a student who has been put in charge of the photography department IT stuff. at the moment 2 servers are being used both for related website stuff. but i would like to shift all that to one comp, and then use the other so that students signup for a storage account and then have 100mb storage so that they dont need to buy loads of cd's and etc. instead they load it up with work and when they are at college they can access it and contiue with their work. my problem is that i dont know what software or requirements are needed to create an automated storage facility. if you outline what i need to do or could point me to a few companies that do this i wouls be grateful.

sorry i wasnt clearer in the beginning

thank you for your help

I think if you setup a FTP server on your storage server and give each student an account, that would be the best way to go about it. Most students are already familiar with FTP, and each can chose their favorite client to access the server.

With a decent FTP server (ServU if you are on Windows, ProFTP if Linux -- my opinions only) you can control permissions for your users, and also impose quota limits.

Now if you want a gallery -- the likes of corbis, then you'll need to either hire someone to create it, or buy a solution.

Use WebDAV or Samba and just mount it on the computers as a drive. If you know the makeup of your clients, webdav can work great and its a breeze to add users, etc, if you know your way around apache.

sorry for late reply.

i am trying out both solutions now, will give you guys an update when its finsihed

hello,

here is an update, i will turn the nix machine into a proftp server and then use apache to set folders with individual permissions that correspond with students. this way the students can use it from home and in school.

thanks for your help guys