Thumbs down Very Unhappy w/ Raine-Tech.com

Hello everyone! I haven't posted here in awhile; I haven't been doing any web-related things for about a year or two - so I wasn't being hosted anywhere...Anyhow, I'd like to share my experience with one of the recent hosts I've been with.

First off, I'd like to say I've only been w/ this host for just about 3 weeks - and it appears I was about the only account to have these problems, otherwise I've heard pretty much decent reviews / some praise about this host - this is solely my perception and read around before making any decisions.

Ok,
    I signed up - everything went smoothly got an AWESOME deal (20 dollars aka USD for a boatload of space and 100gb bandwidth w/ just about unlimited everything...) Anyhow, here's how it went...

Day 1: Execellent, EXCELLENT load speeds - everything was running smoothly.
    Day 2: I noticed my site lagging a bit - but didn't bother to ask about it, fiqured it was temporary.
    Day(s) 3-10: My server kept going down or running EXTREMELY slow - I asked about it and I was told it was "httpd" problems. I had to ask numerous times a day for them to reset httpd so my site would work - as you can imagine this got quite annoying. I was told by some tech friends that HTTPD is automatically set to reset itself when failing, I'm not sure if thats true or not - feel free to correct me.
    Final Days: I contact Raine-Tech asking for a refund, and I told them my site was down or crawling on its knees about 50% of the time; he became smart with me and after telling me I would receive a refund, that I had to prove it was down. He than told me it was up 90% of this month - I asked my friends to make sure I wasn't being too dramatic or anything of that sort and they all agreed it was down way more than 90% of the month.

Overall, definatley STAY AWAY from this host - their great deals and not worth the poor service.

Thanks all!
    I'll report back to you in a month or so with a report on the host I just started switching over too.
    Bryan,
    [Website in the works of being transferred...]

Edit:

I hope you get a better result with your new host, all the best.
    Last edited by jheslop1; 04-14-2004 at 06:02 PM.
    John Heslop

Even 90% is very bad. Best of luck with your new host.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

edit: never mind my bad.
    Last edited by jheslop1; 04-14-2004 at 06:03 PM.
    John Heslop

You can find this hosted on Raine-Tech.com

http://www.moddersgallery.com
    http://www.moddersgallery.com/forums

And this is my new server
    http://www.elextustech.com

They are coming out of the hole with their HTTPD problems it appears, but I'm not flaming - I really had a bad experience. And if you actually READ my post you would see that I told people to look around and not base a decision SOLELY on what I've written.

Thank you.
    Bryan,

ModdersGallery loaded real slow for me.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Originally posted by UH-Matt
    Even 90% is very bad. Best of luck with your new host.
    Correct 90% is quite bad. However in my discussion with IamHalam, I never said we were up only 90% of the time and we haven't been up only that much. We've in all had a few hours of downtime which is still quite bad although not as bad as made out to be. IamHalam has overloaded our server causing httpd problems. His forums were massive with about 60 people online at one time. Our server was unable to handle that very well when we have to use the server for others as well. So yes it was only his web site as we had to continuously suspend it to get the server loads down.

that guys always on here talking away, i wonder why he hasnt replied yet...

hahahah, he just replied and i missed it :p sorry.
    jubba joo!

I don't want to turn this into a flame thread with Me Vrs. Host... but please read this (I did not touch any of the content in this conversation on MSN with RaineTechnologies)

ElextusTech.com says:
    Hey there, by any chance do you offer refunds?
    ElextusTech.com says:
    My sites been down about 50% of the time.
    Raine Technologies says:
    if you can prove your site has been down for 50% of the time
    Raine Technologies says:
    i will refund your money
    Raine Technologies says:
    that would mean 360 hours out of the month
    ElextusTech.com says:
    thank you, i appreciate it.
    ElextusTech.com says:
    you've got modern bill, so I'll let ya fiqure that out.
    Raine Technologies says:
    figure what out
    ElextusTech.com says:
    however much it is
    Raine Technologies says:
    downtime?
    ElextusTech.com says:
    no, refund
    Raine Technologies says:
    or how much i owe
    ElextusTech.com says:
    you said something about the hours
    Raine Technologies says:
    alright
    ElextusTech.com says:
    lol - just so that way you know im not *miscalculting* things or trying to rip you off, etc
    Raine Technologies says:
    no i said if you could prove that we've been down for 360 hours out of the month, i'll refund your money
    ElextusTech.com says:
    I have numerous people that would vouch for it
    ElextusTech.com says:
    if that works.
    Raine Technologies says:
    people vouching is not proof
    Raine Technologies says:
    i know for a fact we have not been down for 360 hours
    ElextusTech.com says:
    I said ABOUT, and my sites been down alot - and you know that.
    ElextusTech.com says:
    I contacted you numerous times, and was told over and over again the problems would be fixed.
    Raine Technologies says:
    ok
    Raine Technologies says:
    we have been up over 90% of the time
    Raine Technologies says:
    just so you know
    ElextusTech.com says:
    Not my site, the servers may have been up but HTTPD was blocking or insanely slowing my site
    Raine Technologies says:
    hmm
    Correct, he did say OVER 90% - I quoted him wrongly there, but note he did say 90, not 95, not 99...
    Bryan,

360 hours!? thats excessive!

10 hours is out of line really

o i c ... my reading comprehension is damaged today
    jubba joo!

It's a shame when people have to learn the hardway. Hopefully you will put this knowledge to use & give yourself a bigger budget.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

I dislike Raine but he's banned from #wht so I guess we won't get to hear his crazy stories like buying google and owning the internet anymore. Ah Memories. Good luck finding a new host.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by RaineTech
    Correct 90% is quite bad. However in my discussion with IamHalam, I never said we were up only 90% of the time and we haven't been up only that much. We've in all had a few hours of downtime which is still quite bad although not as bad as made out to be. IamHalam has overloaded our server causing httpd problems. His forums were massive with about 60 people online at one time. Our server was unable to handle that very well when we have to use the server for others as well. So yes it was only his web site as we had to continuously suspend it to get the server loads down.
    Raine, 60 users shouldn't be a problem at all for a properly configured server, that's not oversold beyond belief.

Yea 60 users is NOTHING.
    John Heslop

Originally posted by inogenius
    Raine, 60 users shouldn't be a problem at all for a properly configured server, that's not oversold beyond belief.
    To get the prices we sell at, you have to oversell. We admit it openly, and it does not affect our services. But if they have such a large site, they should look elsewhere.

John Heslop

Originally posted by jheslop1
    Yea 60 users is NOTHING.
    YEAP! its nothing Unless he is using badly written scripts.

Refund would be appropriate. BTW, bring up your budget and you won't get burnt so easily

To get the prices we sell at, you have to oversell. We admit it openly, and it does not affect our services. But if they have such a large site, they should look elsewhere.
    Did you expect a small site to utilize the great amount of bandwidth that you have alloted?

To get the prices we sell at, you have to oversell. We admit it openly, and it does not affect our services.
    If you consider a forum with only 60 people at a time too large, It is affecting your services.

I would really be interested to know exactly what software it is. It would have to be poorly written though for 60 users to raise the CPU to a level that should cause to much concern.

edit: I could not find a page on your site that openly admitted that you oversell, am I looking in the wrong places?

Dave
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Sounds like both parties got stung.

The Hoster for trying to sell Data transfer at .20 cents a GB (el cheap) and getting a Client that actually expected to use what they paid for.

The Client for thinking they could get good service at .20 cent a GB -- which just ain't gonna happen.

I think it's safe to say the Client will learn from this experience, I wonder if the Hoster will?
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

WOW! Sorry, I had to step out for a few moments, I come back - Raine is lying so badly right now.

I WISH I have 60 people on my forums, I had no where NEAR IT! I had about 14 registered, and our max online according to phpBB stats was 11 users ever. I cannot believe Raine is lying, it's one thing if you realize your mistakes but trying to blame this all on me I have NO idea what is going on in your head.

Don't mind if that last statement was a bit confusing - I'm just really annoyed right now that he's trying to turn the tables and blame this all on me.

Sincerely,
    Bryan H

*Edit: I also wasn't offered the refund, but I'm not all too upset about that right now, just the fact that I'm, as well as you all reading this, are being lied to.
    Last edited by IamHalam; 04-14-2004 at 08:53 PM.
    Bryan,

what forum software?
    jubba joo!

It was phpBB 2.0.6 auto installed via Cpanel than I updated it to 2.0.8

.... http://www.moddersgallery.com/forums
    Bryan,

Originally posted by Fujiwara Takumi
    what forum software?
    He stated phpBB
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Regardless if it is a lie or not, using RaineTechs own numbers of 60, on a piece of software which RaineTech provides, and his acknowledgement that his servers just cannot handle it is quite bad. For RaineTech to then acknowledge his own overselling and claim that it is not affecting his services

Do I scratch my head or just laugh?

Dave
    Starts November 5th!

Smile

Maybe you should adjust your hosting plans and avoid offering plans with large chunk of bandwidth? Most of the sites using that large amount of bandwidth are heavy sites probably and maybe running forums and scriptings. If you cannot handle the server load of this forum, why would you offer such a 100GB bandwidth package?

.... Just a suggestion

Originally posted by inogenius
    Originally posted by jheslop1
    Yea 60 users is NOTHING.
    Depending on what type of server it is and how many sites are hosted, 60 users may produce a lot of server load.
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 04-14-2004 at 09:17 PM.

60 can be quite devastating in a shared environment..... depending on what software you use.

And phpBB is certainly not one of the lightweights..
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Just out of curiousity, how much bandwidth is this site in question pushing per month?

60 users online on a forum I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 20 gigs per month, solely because my own forums average around a half dozen online consistently with peaks of 15-20 users online and it uses around 2 gigs per month so I'd guess 60 users would push around 10 times that, heck call it 20 times that, 60 gigs per month, still well within that 100 gig plan you have for $19.99 per month.

Sure overselling is part of the game, but it's like any other game, play it badly and you lose, sounds like you might want to consider some modifications to your game plan...
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I average 60 or a little more (record 270) I use about 15 gigs a month. My software is Vbulletin so your mileage may vary with phpbb.

What gets me though, is the fact that the host provides the software, and uses it in its sales pitch. It is therefore implied that the user should be able to run the software under the plan that it was purchased for, of course in a reasonable manor.

If the software that the host provides puts undo stress on the systems resources with only 60 users (according to the host), than IMO it falls under the same umbrella that they cannot provide what they offer.

P.S. has anybody found where on the site they "openly admit" overselling?

Dave
    Starts November 5th!

arent we only talking about 20 bucks here?
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Site Says
    Most users ever online was 10 on Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:09 pm
    --

Originally posted by MStar
    Site Says
    Most users ever online was 10 on Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:09 pm
    Correct, I miss stated. It was 60 mysql connections. His main page is a huge content system that uses a lot of MySQL/PHP. On the forum note, we do support the forums, but when they get big, you need to move to a VPS/Dedicated environment. We use a celeron server on that specific plan. The problem has been fixed though, it had much a part to do with a rootkit called Tornkit that was installed on the server. Has been cleaned and kernel recompiled.

Thats sad to hear, some webhosting companies are just in it for the money and cannot afford good proper managed servers.

Correct, I miss stated. It was 60 mysql connections. His main page is a huge content system that uses a lot of MySQL/PHP. On the forum note, we do support the forums, but when they get big, you need to move to a VPS/Dedicated environment. We use a celeron server on that specific plan. The problem has been fixed though, it had much a part to do with a rootkit called Tornkit that was installed on the server. Has been cleaned and kernel recompiled.
    His main page looked like your basic php-nuke site or was I missing something?

And don't you have a per user mysql connection limit set for mysql? Might want to have a little chat with your server admins, the rootkit is another hint your admins might need a little motivation

set-variable = max_connections=150
    set-variable = max_user_connections=30

Try that in your /etc/my.cnf it's, a lot better than a multi page bitch thread on WHT
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    His main page looked like your basic php-nuke site or was I missing something?

And don't you have a per user mysql connection limit set for mysql? Might want to have a little chat with your server admins, the rootkit is another hint your admins might need a little motivation

set-variable = max_connections=150
    set-variable = max_user_connections=30

Try that in your /etc/my.cnf it's, a lot better than a multi page bitch thread on WHT
    It was actually set to 25 a while ago. Then people got mad, so we raised it to 75 i believe. But the rootkit installed was because of that cPanel login bug. Tornkit was installed and our server admins said the only way to fix it was an OS reload. However, I had read that there were other ways, and there were. We eventually got it fixed though.

Originally posted by ******
    Thats sad to hear, some webhosting companies are just in it for the money and cannot afford good proper managed servers.
    How condescending. sigh.

EVERY webhosting company is in it for the money. If their not, then they are not very good business men. Just because that particular server was not a dual xeon screamer for 1.95 for 100gb space and 10000000000000gb transfer a month does not mean it's bad or that the company is "sad". Grow up. Glad to hear that you're perfect and never run into server problems.

It was actually set to 25 a while ago. Then people got mad, so we raised it to 75 i believe. But the rootkit installed was because of that cPanel login bug. Tornkit was installed and our server admins said the only way to fix it was an OS reload. However, I had read that there were other ways, and there were. We eventually got it fixed though.
    So you limit users to 75 MySQL connections, then moan when someone uses 60.... makes perfect sense.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Are you trying to cover line something? Please don't start it because you would end up making lies to cover the before.

Ouch, good luck with your new host