Newbie Questions

Hi,

I'm currently developing a website for a non-profit organization that expects to sell tickets to their fundraising events over the Internet. I've done lots of websites before, but unfortunately, I have no experience when it comes to e-commerce. I've googled and done some research and here are some questions I'd like to ask:

1) In which case would it be better to set up one's own credit processing and in which case would it be better to use a third-party merchant?

The next two questions refer to setting up one's own credit card processing.

2) From what I understand, to use SSL - the organization would need an Internet Merchant Account and an SSL Certificate. Is there anything different a non-profit organization has to do in this case?

3) Shopping cart software - this is only used when the processing is done on their own server, right? The shopping cart that comes with the host only works when installed in a top-level directory. Is there any way around that? The site is being hosted on a sub-domain that's quite separate from the main domain, so I'm just wondering if there are any software packages that don't have this restriction?

I don't know which route we'll be taking yet, but I'd like to get some basic information down first. If anyone has URLs to good tutorials on this stuff, that'd be appreciated as well!

Thanks in advance!

powweb is very good, they have 5 gig transfer a day and 1 gig of space all for 7.77 a month...if you go ahead with it tel them i refereed you..wink wink..it also come with oscommerce , with is awesome , it is very very powerful.,..but u gotta kno about php

As its a Charity why dont you approach a company and ask for dicounted processing in return for some advertising at the events you put on....

I will be checking out osCommerce. The site is run on PHP, so that should not be a problem. Thanks to 74s3 for the suggestion about approaching a company. I'll have to ask the main coordinator about that option as well.

I guess my main question is - taking into account the possibility of getting a discount for the charity - is it better to do the credit card processing on our own, or to get a third-party merchant?

If you are looking at PHP, check out: http://oscommerce.snappyserver.com/

I have a simple ASP shopping cart script as well - if interested, let me know. Or you can also check out http://www.spidersales.com

As far as a merchant account, how much will thy be processing - at least $1,000 a month. A merchant account might be more beneficial to you if you are processing abuout $1,000 a month.

To have an SSL, they just need a website. No internet merchant account is needed to get a SSL. If you have an internet account & you are capturing CC data on your website, it is a good thing to have SSL. Most gateways though will provide you with SSL as well.

Originally posted by coreybryant
    To have an SSL, they just need a website. No internet merchant account is needed to get a SSL. If you have an internet account & you are capturing CC data on your website, it is a good thing to have SSL. Most gateways though will provide you with SSL as well.
    So are you saying it is possible to do transactions over the Internet without setting up an Internet Merchant Account? I was under the impression that a merchant account was legally required, and also - a digital certificate would be needed before any transactions have to be done...?

Or was my original question simply phrased badly? When I said "To use SSL," I meant "to process CC data and do transactions over the net."

To process payments over the internet - you need a gateway & a processor. Now this could be thru a third party solution like Paysystems, 2CO, Paypal, etc. They all offer their own gateway. And they also offer SSL - so when you direct your customers to a payment page, they are directed to a page on Paysystems, 2CO, etc. And you would be in essence using their SSL.

If you got a merchant account for the internet thru a processor like Cardservice, Total Merchant Solutions, etc - they use a gateway like LinkPoint, Authorizenet.com, or Verisign. These gateways offer two ways for you to capture the CC data: on your site via an API. If you use this way, you will need an SSL. They also offer their own webpage which is secured. So you direct your form over to their site & the customer enters their data on the gateway's secure website. No SSL required by you.