Exclamation Connecting to Quickbooks with ASP?

Is there anyway to connect to quickbooks database through a ASP connection string?? If not is there any semi easy to to transport certain information from access or sql server to quickbooks and vise versa? Thanks a ton!

if there is a ODBC driver registered for it in Windows, you can certainly do it. Check your ODBC drivers applet in the control panel.

Depending on your version of Windows, it can be in different places. For Windows XP Professional, its Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Data Sources (ODBC)
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

I don't believe any Windows Version has an ODBC driver for quickbooks? Do you know of any or does anyone know of any drivers that i might be able to download and use?

i would *love* to access quickbooks data through odbc. if you figure it out, please share your experience. I'm sure a lot of people would use it

only way that i know of is to export stuff from quickbooks to csv.

in my experience quickboos is very closed system

Has anyone figured out an answer to this - it would be very helpful if it can be done.

Thanks.

Hi there,

There is a commercial driver called QODBC. Site rules won't let me post the url yet buts its just .com

There is a license to pay, but a trial version (read only and the bulk of the tables are blocked by the driver itself) is available.

hope this helps

GD

Do you have access to the hosting server to be able to install a driver?.

Ok, not entirely sure what you mean (bit new to databases in general) so I'll explain what I did and hopefully this will answer the question.

Quickbooks was installed on a local machine. It is not multiuser. The PC is networked, but for quickbooks acts as a standalone.
    I log on to the machine with FULL ADMIN rights.
    I just installed the EXE (which adds the drivers) then followed the PDF instructions.

I think this is what your getting at. I pressume that in a multi user system you would need to install this on the clients, not the server.

Good?

GD

If you're trying to access a quickbooks database through that driver, I'd think you'd have to..

1. Put Quickbooks with the data you need on the web server. Pretty sure this would restrict you to a Windows server.

2. Install the driver and set up an ODBC setting to use it.

3. Set up your ASP Script on that server to use the ODBC setting.

4. Access the ASP Script on any machine that can see the web server.

What's the licensing look like on that driver?
    Paul Embry
    Knight Software and Web Design
    [email protected]
    Quality PHP Web Programming for Reasonable Prices

My original plan was to use The ODBC driver on a windows.server enviroment. Having a the "Server" computer which contained the data for quickbooks and allowed others to connect to quickbooks from other computers. Hence multi-user quickbooks edition. And then have the IIS on that server machine as well where i would just broadcast the website from there....

Unforunately the drawback is, to do that i need to open some ports on the firewall for that machine, which means possibility of data hacks or other attacks....

In theory the best way would be to run a qb server comp for the files then run another server comp for the IIS which i can DMZ on the router and do a ODBC link on a network link from the iis.server to the qb.server ...

Anyways that was my idea.