Do it yourself Colo

I am wondering... since colocations all are going to cost $100+ per month, what do you guys (experts) think about the 'do it yourself' approach to colo?

Why can't I simply buy an IP, and get say a residental or commerical DSL line and Cable line (now you have redundancy), and an APC?

Would you guys recommend such a solution?

Other than security (well I could put a webcam on my server ), what do you think the downfalls of such a system would be, how good would the reliability be?

I think for $150 or less a month I could probably get decent bandwidth around 1mbps using both a dsl and a cable line, no?

1mb/s wont cut it, what if you get a sudden surge? most colo places offer 100mb/s ports on 95%ile so you can burst.

the way you just descibed is a very cheap and poor way to do things, and I doubt you would get any custom unless your dishonest about your setup, maybe if you was just doing it for a hobby then it would be ok but for comercial hosting that setup is a joke.

-Matt

not for commerical hosting, just for a say a website portal like webhosting.com

I wouldn't dream of doing that for commerical hosting.. I agree that would be just... scum

First off. With a Cable Modem and a DSL line you will never come close to the realiablity of a colo provider with mutiple Egress connections. Couple of reasons. First off your never going to find a provider to do BGP with you across a DSL and a CableModem. Just not going to happen. You could use a Linux server and do some NAT magic to make it possiable for you to use boths lines at the same time but you still will have to have a primary and a backup connection and then you have the issues of DNS switching to use the other line in case your primary goes down. And even if you could get a provider to do BGP with you the uptime on a DSL line and a CableModem in horriable when compared to T3's or OCx type connections.

Second. Colocation is much more then a pipe or two. It's the security of the building you place your gear in, the backup generator systems and UPS systems. It's the enviromental systems that keep the rooms at a constant temp and humidity.

It would be a neat home project to see done but I dont think you would ever find someone to pay you any money ot colo in your closet.

Goodluck. Hope this has been some help.

Brian

Greetings:

If you can visit several data centers, you might learn there can be a world of difference between a house/garage set up and a world class (aka premier) data center.

When you consider that the premier data centers run $300 to $600 per square foot to build (not including equipment) and up to $300 per square foot per month to operate, it is hard to compare to a house like environment.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I wanted to explain this in a bit more of a non-technical manner in case the original poster doesn't know what BGP, etc. means.

Your cable modem will have one set of IP addresses.
    Your DSL modem will have another.

How will you make sure your website's DNS automatically changes when one provider goes down? (Hint: It's nowhere near as easy as you may think.)

As dynamicnet suggested, get a tour of a datacenter. In fact, get tours of as many datacenters as you can. You will quickly learn why it costs more to colocate than it would to just run a couple small lines to your house and put a server there.

-Erica
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

g-g-g-ghetto.

First off, you'll never be able to get true IP redundancy using residential/commercial DSL or cable unless you are using NAT. When using NAT, people can't connect to you from the outside because your IP address would change. Even if you did manage to get a static IP from both the DSL and cable providers, you'd still have an issue with people changing DNS if one of the circuits goes down.

In my opinion, its not worth the potential downtime to cut corners like this. There are many colocation providers out there that are reasonably priced.

Also keep in mind that growth isn't as easy to do when you're based out of your local office. Conversely, upgrading from 1Mbps to 10Mbps is not very difficult to do when you're truly colocated.

you can get colo 4 under $100.... i saw some stuff on hosthideout.com about like $80 colo or something...

http://www.hosthideout.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24

check there and find it or something... its better than runnin your stuff off a stinky cable --residential-- line which dont allow u to run servers anyways!

yea guess its just a money factor really.

Even if you coudl technically get it up and running, like Tracert points out if you can colo for $100 or lessit an't really worth it.

Still would be a fine expirement for the guy with a few $$$ in the pocket

You can still build a small UPS for your garage pretty cheap. We install them pretty cheaply for cell sites all the time. A small natural gas generator @ 208v, a small rectifier, small battery bank, and small invertor with a bolt-on distribution panel would probably cost >$5k.

The BIG limits in a do-it-yourself model would include:
    1.) Monitoring
    2.) Staff
    3.) Bandwidth (cable vs. multiple GigE connections)
    4.) Security
    5.) Diversity
    Sago Networks
    CoLocation / Dedicated Servers
    Track our Data Center Expansion at http://www.sagonet.com/datacenter

lol, i dont think it is cost effective. a t1 is about $500 /month for a 1.5mbit
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

Hello.

Check out Backten's website.
    It has a nice colo tour that im sure would be of interest to you, lots of photos/info.
    Core NAP www.corenap.com
    Located in Austin Texas
    512-685-0000
    Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

13. Don't forget utilities. Commercial datacenters are in buildings which buy electricity at bulk/commercial rate.

Power is DAMN expensive for personal residences if you go over the set average. Ditch the house, and move your servers to a real colo.

When you consider that the premier data centers run $300 to $600 per square foot to build (not including equipment) and up to $300 per square foot per month to operate, it is hard to compare to a house like environment.
    I'd *really* like to know how you calculated the $300/month per sqft to operate a top-of-the-ramge DC ... closer to $30 in my experience
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Originally posted by bachten
    First off your never going to find a provider to do BGP with you across a DSL and a CableModem. Just not going to happen.
    I know of two local companies (in ottawa) that (for the right price) will let you run a BGP connection (one is a DSL company) and the other is a wireless & cable company.
    You could use a Linux server and do some NAT magic to make it possiable for you to use boths lines at the same time but you still will have to have a primary and a backup connection and then you have the issues of DNS switching to use the other line in case your primary goes down.
    You could use a round-robbin setup with failover from a third party (such as zoneedit).
    And even if you could get a provider to do BGP with you the uptime on a DSL line and a CableModem in horriable when compared to T3's or OCx type connections.
    Very true.

It would be a neat home project to see done but I dont think you would ever find someone to pay you any money ot colo in your closet.
    Youd be suprised. A local company I know of was doing collocation accross a single 1M pipe, absolutetly no fail over.

With all that being said, youd still probably be better of using a commercial colocation provider than doing a cable & dsl mix, but it could make for a very interesting project.

Also remember that many DSL and Cable modem comps that say 1 meg mean download bandwidth not outgoing bandwidth, outgoing bandwidth on most home pipes is at 128k. That just wont cut it for serving webpages.

Indeed. If you do actually go ahead with the project SDSL (same up and down) might be worth the extra $.