question on dedicated...new to this

it is my understanding with a dedicated server u have to run it yourself??.....is there i website where i can get a dedicated server upload my site and be done??? and they take care of it?? or do i have to operate the thing???is it difficult?

it is my understanding with a dedicated server u have to run it yourself??.....is there i website where i can get a dedicated server upload my site and be done??? and they take care of it?? or do i have to operate the thing???is it difficult?
    It depends on whether it is a managed or unmanaged server.

For a managed server, you need not worry of patching/upgrading the server software. Most managed server providers will increase the server security for you.

For an unmanaged server, you will have to do the patching/upgrading all by yourself. It can be dangerous if you are new to Linux as anything goes wrong will screw your server up.

As for uploading your site, I believe you meant the whole process starting from setting up the account, creating the DNS entries... up to the account ready to be used (uploaded)? If you are planning to host your clients on the server (in the other words, turn the server into a production server), you can try some server control panel like cPanel, Ensim, Plesk, Directadmin, H-Sphere, Helm... etc (depending on your OS)

Last but not least, most dedicated servers provider will of course, take care of the server hardware for you.

Thanks and do ask again if you have any doubts.
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

If you know diddley, even w/control panel you better have someone who knows this stuff sitting right next to you. Otherwise, at the first question you're stumped.

Trust me on this one.

Re: question on dedicated...new to this

Originally posted by Dj Trinity
    If you have to ask these questions, then going dedicated is probably not the right thing for you. Is there any reason why you are looking to get a dedicated server, rather than a shared account?

-Josh

Re: question on dedicated...new to this

Originally posted by Dj Trinity
    Is there a website where i can get a dedicated server, upload my site and be done?
    Yes, there is such site. Go to www.1and1.com and sign up for a managed server. Make sure that it is MANAGED, not ROOT.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Make sure you do some research on 1and1.com first before considering them. There are many interesting stories that come out of that company.

As for my suggestion -> I saw your post in the web hosting forum, your best bet is just to find a shared/reseller host that can provide you with what you're looking for, for a MUCH cheaper price.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz