Canadian Carriers and Neutral Facilities/Hotels

We are in need of bandwidth and rack space in the West, Central and Eastern parts of Canada. I am looking to gather a list of CARRIERS in Canada as well as the major telcom buildings. Do NOT reply with resellers as they are of no use. What can companies expect to pay for 10, 20, 50, and 100mbps commits in Canada? Who are the best providers, worst, most expensive, least?

Interested in Vancouver or other parts of BC, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa.

As of now I know of:

Shaw Cable
    Telus
    ????

Does Peer1 have service there? If so where?

Please reply with all carriers that you know of as well as the names (and addresses if known) of the largest known 'carrier-neutral' facilities and buildings that all carriers bring fiber into.

Thanks!
    OneStop Network - http://onestop.net
    G. Tyler Koblasa <gtyler@onestop.net> - AIM: gtylerk | ICQ: 42813237 MSN: gtyler@onestop.net | Yahoo: koblasa
    'Providing nationwide colo, dedicated and shared hosting since 1996.'

peer1 can deliver in vancouver, toronto and montreal. locations are listed on their website.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Look at http://www.151frontstreet.com - the largest carrier hotel inToronto. It will show you the carriers available and you can track down the other stuff form there. Peer1 there and also in 1 Yonge Street, but that info is on the peer1 site.

Peer1 offer good service at good prices, uptime is quite okay as well! I use them at 151front.

John

Whats pricing like up in canada these days for bandwidth?
    » ReliableServers.com
    » Dedicated Servers | Colocation | VPS
    » 973-849-0535

Originally posted by Dilhole
    Depends on where you are and the carrier, in Montreal I got quotes of $70-75 US per Mbit on a 45Mbits commit from VDN.ca.. Peer1 was selling $500.00/Mbits on low commits last time I heard (that's last August so it might have changed), MCI/Wcom is around $600-700 per Mbits on low commits as well.

The market might be changing in Montreal soon with the opening of Canix.ca (they're supposed to be Montreal's first carrier hotel). There's not much bandwidth there for now, VDN, Videotron, InvisibleHand and some others.. but more are coming soon.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by Dilhole
    Very dependant on the city - I know people in Toronto that can give you ~50$/mbit CAD. Out east, true east, in Nova Scotia - we pay near 100$/mbit.

Who is offering transit out of Toronto at $50/mbps and what is the commit level? I have contacted several providers in the area, and nobody is even close to this... the cheapest I have seen is nearly 2x this price at commits of 100Mbps +

Unless you are referring to Cogent?
    Robert Donaldson | Netivex
    Toronto | Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by Netivex
    Who is offering transit out of Toronto at $50/mbps and what is the commit level? I have contacted several providers in the area, and nobody is even close to this... the cheapest I have seen is nearly 2x this price at commits of 100Mbps +

Unless you are referring to Cogent?
    I think he's talking about Istop.com, Ralph Doncaster the owner sells bw pretty cheap mostly because he sells downstream bandwidth (DSL access) in ontario and quebec thus allowing him to sell upstream bandwidth under the market price.

Even Istop isn't that cheap. IStop stills want 1XX/mbit. Good luck even finding $50/mbit CAD on US grounds without a huge commit.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

We did a survey a few months ago of all the options and came up with Peer1 as the best way to go for service, price and access to telecom providers.

They will deal most on colo/bw and have good locations throughout the country.

Originally posted by Mfjp
    Even Istop isn't that cheap. IStop stills want 1XX/mbit. Good luck even finding $50/mbit CAD on US grounds without a huge commit.
    Check this out http://www.istop.com/wholesale.html at 20Mbits its $88, you can probably deal with Ralph for a 100Mbits connection at $5000 CAD he'll do it.

I suggest you search the NANOG mailing list archive http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/ regarding Ralph Doncaster and IStop before making a final decision.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Originally posted by jsw6
    I suggest you search the NANOG mailing list archive http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/ regarding Ralph Doncaster and IStop before making a final decision.
    Oh I already know enough about Ralph and Istop, from back in the days when he was providing DSL off his Magma DSL (yes thats right he use to provide DSL out of a DSL backbone wew!).