Thread: Suggestions

Suggestions

Hey guys

I am currently working on my business and would like some suggestions from the community. I have purchased my servers from the planet. And purchased perldesk as my prefferd helpdesk. I am waiting on confirmation on my merchant account from 2checkout and then im ready to launch (i refuse to use paypal as it looks cheap and very unprofessional dont flame me ) Now all i need is a good priceing structure. I have worked out some priceing for my plans so that i can atually make some profit. As most of you know as a new company the profit isnt that great to start off with.

Im 21 years old and will not packup and leave. I have actually spent allot of time and money to make this site what it can be.

So i would like some suggestions and opnions from the community.

Thanks guys

Please excuse my grammer and spelling its late here.

Invest some money in marketing. That's all I have you look pretty solid.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Thanks pixel. I wanted to do some payper click google. But does it actually work?

Forums a good idea or bad?

Good marketing skills?

Best places to advertise your business? ( some links would be much apreciated)

Price range? say per 100mb?

I'd suggest that you back up a bit and write a business plan.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Don't just go for ppc advertisement blindly or you will get yourself burnt (esp. in googles). Do some research and plot out your marketing campaign and the expected target before launching it.

Forum like WHT is a good way to start off with. Imagine thousands of people use this forum and your signature is the cheapest way to get traffic.

YOu should also participate actively in this forum in answering peoples' question. The best way to test your skill and also to make known what you can offer (as customer service) to your clients.

When you try to expand, bear in mind whether you can support the growing population. Many of them keep order coming but forget that they are short staffed and get alot of negative feedbacks as time goes by.

Good Luck

Starting up a company isnt necessary going to get you sign ups right away. Probably the first month you'll get about 10 signups at most if you get more then you offering some outrageous plan . As the months go on your signups will increase as those 10 people will most likely share their experience friends and family which will get your more signups and the domino effect will begin . Thats how our company was during our first month signups were extremely low, now we have signups coming in left and right with little advertisement being done. However, we have plans for a marketing scheme which is still being plan.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Thanks guys.

Can anyone give me some good advertiseing links? apart from google and wht of course. Thanks for the suggestions.

As someone said, you should work on a business plan if you do not already have one If not I suggest you start working on one as it will help you decide the costs and direction of your business. I am working on one now and I am at 25+ pages of cost/profit analysis, marketing strategies, and comparisions of everything.

It seems tedious in the beginning, but it pays off big time in the long run.

As for you question, just look at the pricing of other companies versus what they offer and do something similar.
    Alvin

I'd suggest that you back up a bit and write a business plan.
    The best advice. It seems you really need to take this seriously.

2 years later and I'm still writing, editing, and remaking the plan consider it a neverending work.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by pixel_fenix
    2 years later and I'm still writing, editing, and remaking the plan consider it a neverending work.
    Same, I have a 30 page plan that I always revise now and then.

Thats true with the industry constantly changing one must be able to deal with change. Try reading the book call "Who Move my Cheese" It a pretty short and awesome book.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

The best advice. It seems you really need to take this seriously.
    After 3 weeks of endless nights and stress. Believe me this is something I'm taking very seriously indeed. Thanks the positive feed back. I will continue to work on my marketing strategy and plans.

Thanks

Believe me this is something I'm taking very seriously indeed.
    Glad to hear it intek. Sorry if it sounded like I doubted that. Wish you best of luck!

Don`t be sorry I'm sure there are 100s of hosts on here that you have seen that last a few months offer amazing deals then pack up and leave. I will probably get stereo typed into that category when i first start out. But i assure you i am here to stay. I took a look at your site. That's a good thing you are doing for people. I know i have been left high and dry by a few hosts. But once again thanks.

Welcome to the industry. I too am 21, and its tough being in the business world at what some would consider still a 'young' age. To keep the echo going: "Business Plan... Business Plan... Business Plan........"

Having a Business Plan is very important to keep you on track. I have one started, and as everyone says, its a living document. Get a good solid base put down. Once you get a few customers, be sure you don't let your support slip at all, as your existing customers are what get you the best advertising of all... word of mouth.

And finally, remember that WHT isnt the be-all end-all of the hosting industry. WHT represents a fraction of the hosters and the hostees out there, and sadly I believe that it represents the lower end of the spectrum with all the cuthroat prices et al. I market myself to the midrange of the spectrum, and I am tapping into local markets and finding success. Don't neglect your own local market.

Re: Suggestions

Originally posted by intek
    ....I have worked out some priceing for my plans so that i can atually make some profit.
    And then:
    VALUE PLAN
    100 megs of space
    10 Gb Monthly transfer
    10 mailboxes,10 DBs
    Support ASP, CGI, PHP
    $20 Per year!

PERSONAL PLAN
    200 megs of space
    20 Gb Monthly transfer
    100 mailboxes 100 DBs
    Support ASP, CGI, PHP
    Price: $3.99

BUSINESS PLAN
    500 megs of space
    30 Gb Monthly transfer
    unlimited mailboxes+DBs
    Support ASP, CGI, PHP
    Price: $5.99

CORPORATE PLAN
    1000 megs of space
    60 Gb Monthly transfer
    unlimited mailboxes+DBs
    Support ASP, CGI, PHP
    Price: $10.99
    Yep, you're going to make a killing. Unfortunately it's your business that you will be killing.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Yep ... here today ... gone tomorrow.

Hope they are just sample prices which came with the template.
    HOSTPac Web Solutions
    Solid reliable Hosting - Lowest priced Domains - cPanel Multiple Domain Hosting
    Now offering space on Australian based servers!
    Put the Big Koala on your team

First of all thanks amish. I will take your advise and use it as best as i possibly can.

Second of all. I take criticism quite well. As i said I'm open to all suggestions and comments about my venture. Nex why criticized my prices? where you always such a big company? did you start at the top end of the market? Those figures are something that came up. They are not set prices or even the prices i am going to use. Its just a rough idea of i will be aiming at to make some profit. I came here for help. If you want to guide me in the wayof priceing list some for me. I have searched over 100 web hosting sites and those are mid range .

And ozy, Yes i bought the template. Personally i cannot make something like that in flash. I'm not good or experienced in flash what so ever. And i love the design. Its something different from the boring corporate look most people opt for. Like i said its my taste. But hey. That's your opinion.

I have been warned about the ignorant people on these forums. I truly feel i have encountered them today.

Thanks again for the positive feed back.

Heh, with an attitude like that, you can stick any more advice where the sun don't shine. You wanted feedback on your prices, I gave it and now it's ignorant feedback.

But now I see all you wanted was "positive feedback" and I guess constructive critisism or negative feedback doesn't cut it. How about this? With those price (I would say business model but it isn't), you will:

a) Make no money
    b) Have great overloaded servers
    c) Be out of business in a year
    d) Just add to the general state of sh!te the industry is in.
    Nex why criticized my prices?
    Why bother to ask for feedback? Definitely an ID ten T addition to WHT here.

In no way did I criticise your template Ben and agree it is one of the nicest I have come across.

I was agreeing with NexDog re pricing and at first didn't understand where he got the figures from until I visited your site.

Do the figures and get that Business Plan together mate like others have said.

If I was ignorant I would have ignored your post wouldn't I?

Best of luck

Yep, you're going to make a killing. Unfortunately it's your business that you will be killing.
    That`s sarcasm and ignorance. You could of simply said your prices are too low. Or here try to aim at this sort of level. And as for your help. Id rather not thanks. You seem like an *** hole to be exact. And I`m actually amazed how you actually keep a company like that alive with your attitude.

Ozy sorry for misunderstanding.

Sure, I was a trifle sarcastic but it was WELL MEANT but obviously you have no sense of humour due to your sad existence. My attitude is fine, your's is the one that needs working one. And yes, my "attitude" of being helpful, playful and sometimes funny is a great asset to my company as it is to WHT. My business is helping people, one day you might understand such a concept. I help people everyday build their online presence and I help people numerous times every day at WHT. You could learn alot from me because I've been there and made all the mistakes there is to make but now you will never know.

In one thread you've called me ignorant and an a$shole - please, tell me what you really think.

I think i have made it clear what i think about you.

No, please, let all that sexual frustration out.

Originally posted by intek
    That`s sarcasm and ignorance.

ig·no·rance
    n.

The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.
    But wait a sec, slick. If you weren't so "uneducated" about the hosting industry and also so "unaware" of how it works, why post for feedback at WHT about your site which was built on an "uninformed" mindset?

If live for this man, having fun yet?

Im not going into a flame war with you. Which im sure you want. It just shows how imature you are. You made your point. Now go back to "helping" people.

Of course.

intek,

first I would take what Nexdog was saying and look at it bit closer. Before I did that I would take SoftWareRevue's advice and write up a business plan. Nexdog has built up quite a business and I daresay his advice is worth listening to, even if you don't agree with the delivery of it.

There is no way anyone could give you a definitive number for your hosting plans. We simply do not have all the information necessary to do so.

Let me give you a start though, estimate your costs including:

1) Support- How much is your time worth? $10 per hour? multiplied by at least 16 hours a day? That would mean costs of about $4800 a month.

2) Servers- If you are serious about your business you won't be spending $100 a month for your hardware and network. It will be closer to $400-$1000 per server per month including your security and administration.

3) Software costs- Client management, Control Panels, Server software, and other misc costs would very likely run another $100 a month (most likely much more)

4) Telephones, your office PC and associated costs and probably a few dozen more expenditures will run you anywhere from $100-$5000 a month.

Now just for fun let's take some of the costs above and look at what your plans would cost.

Total costs per month: Anywhere from $4500 to $6000 (we'll start on the low end)

Assuming you have decent hardware and could fit 150 clients on a server maintaining a server load under .50 your cost per client would be about $35.00 a month based on a $5000 a month overhead. All this and we haven't even talked about bandwidth or disc space.

Now it's not time to get discouraged yet. Most of the costs will stay somewhat level until you get much larger. Let's say costs go up $3000 a month for 24/7 Support and another server and you're now at about $8000 a month. Now you have 300 clients to pay for your costs. Your cost per client per month is now somewhere about $26 per month.

I haven't even included business costs, taxes on revenue or anything else. When you get to about 4-5 servers you can start realizing the profit margins your business plan contains. One more very important issue, be prepared to carry these types of overhead costs for at least the first year.

Or you could just charge 30 bucks a year and pack as many people on a server as you can. When the failures begin (I give it a few months) just bail out ripping everyone of your clients off...

The choice is yours to make...
    Last edited by Mark_TVI; 04-18-2004 at 11:14 AM.

Wow Watcher_TVI thank you so much. I'm not saying nex is wrong. But i hate sarcasm, He's made a very successful business for him self i agree. But there is no need to come bully the smaller ones with the sarcasm. I have started work on my business plan and structure. I plan to stay on the server i am on now over at the planet (2.4 ghz 512ram 80gb 1000gb transfer) It is has uptime's of %99.9 checked by alertra and if needed can be upgraded to 1gb of ram. I also own a 12gb reseller account (from a very respectable host). The prices shown on my site are NOT the prices i am going to set. Its just a very rough idea. If my business does decide to take off. Then i will buy another server and keep on buying them until i can afford to set up some kind of data centre.

Support wise i have 2 people that i trust and can rely on. I have known them for quite sometime and have offered to pay them on a ticket basis. They like me have national level 1 degree`s in computer science. And have worked in the industry before.

Telephone support/sales wise i have thought about it. It wouldn't cost me too much to set up. But getting someone to sit all day waiting for a phone is hard to find. (future possibility)

I plan to put no more than 100 clients on each server. I know how much my server can handle. If i ever get to that many clients i will personally come here and gladly show you gentlemen my clients per server documents or screenshots. I don't want to lose customers over bad service. I want to provide them with the best there is. For as much as i can afford to give it them for.

Thank you so much Watcher. Please contact me via msn. I would like to know a few questions if you have time. You seem like a very valuable resource.